Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

PC Booting Issues

2»

Comments

• SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Woot! Good options come from that. You've just given it a few more years of life, especially if you consider the potential for some light overclocking.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Aye. Right now it has my old PentiumD, so even a last generation Core2 Duo would still provide a fantastic boost.
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    A friend upgraded from Pentium D to C2Q. He said it was like a difference between night and day.
  • NembotNembot Trainee
    Yeah the core 2's are light years ahead of the pentium D.

Grab a 4 thousand series (4300, 4400 or 4500) and up the fsb from 200 to 266mhz, check the memory divider so the memory stays in spec and you're ready to roll!
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    The 4000's can even be pushed well higher in many cases, too. Given the robustness of the Core2 line, I made overclocking my processor part of my plan. With nothing but an FSB bump paired with a small voltage increase, I was able to realize a stable 3.6ghz on my 2.4ghz C2Q6600. Due to some concerns about heat dissipation and goals of a quieter system, I dropped it down to 3.0ghz flat, but that's still a damned solid overclock with the only alterations to my system being an aftermarket cooler.

Those C2D/"Pentium Dual-Core" 4000's are remarkable in that they're typically higher-binned chips just marked down for the sale of volume sales. Stock, they're plenty fast for most uses. Overclock them a bit and they're on par with many higher-end chips for a quarter the cost (cache be damned).