Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

My first video - 60D

So got a 60D a couple months ago, and shot my first video. All scenes are from the greater TN Vally region, (Jack should recognize a couple spots) and shot with the Nifty 50, and two 28 year old Nikon lenses using an adapter (Nikkor 28mm, and Quantaray 35-200mm lenses)

[url]http://vimeo.com/22272531[/url]

Or, if you prefer, youtube:
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXNIuBpa6uU[/url]

Oh yes, and weatherproofing on these cameras work. I put that to the test getting the shot at 1:55...absolutely drenched.

Comments

• WORFWORF The Burninator
    Some pretty impressive shots you got there :)
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    You've got some sweet scenes in there!
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    The dramatic soundtrack also adds to the overall spectacular mood of the clip. The pacing or switching from one scene to the next gives it a sense of urgency as well. I was expecting to see some mythical creatures by the end but I guess you want to keep your viewers hanging in their seats in anticipation of whatever will come next. :)

Nicely executed. You've done your homework and it shows.

I'm currently exploring my options for an affordable HD camera. The 60D is unfortunately way outside my budget I have set myself. I'm currently looking at a Kodak Zx5 PlaySport HD as my entry level camcorder. It's water and shock proof (up to a point) and quite nice for the price.

But I'm still on a the fence, because I could get a regular camera, like a Canon PowerShot SX 130 IS with other useful features (optical zoom, stereo audio, AA standard batteries) which are IMHO quite important considerations.

Decisions, decisions... as far as I'm concerned I'm not even looking for a 1080p HD quality (the SX130IS only does 720p).

And then there is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100EGK... which costs quite a bit more.

So many choices... and then there's...
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    Yea, the 60D isn't cheap. I had been saving up for it for awhile, and finally got it. (And got lucky, when it was at it's cheapest)

I can say this, audio is huge. I still don't have a decent mic (Hence the soundtrack overlay) but be thinking about getting one. You can do some good stuff with the smaller cameras, just see Vimeo and search for the cameras you are thinking of getting, see what people do with them and make a decision off that.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    Those are some beautiful shots.

@Stingray:
    Also, if you want to do "action shots", dedicated videocameras are easier to handle (just from the construction and how you hold them), and the DSLR Sensors read the image in lines, so sometimes the lines don't align... (with moving shots).
    But you get the lenses and more shallow dof because of the bigger sensor.
    My choice is definitely inching towards the [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idBuD5E38Qk"]Panasonic Lumix FZ-100.[/URL]

I'll just have to get a spare battery or two but other than that it can do virtually anything I could think of for my budget.

I'm a Canon compact/bridge user myself and I've had trouble straying off the beaten path. But Canon has somewhat lost its way.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Did I see Burgess Falls and Great Falls in there ???? :p

We do love our Water Falls here in TN.

I also noticed that you caught me chillin out in the river there too! (I certainly look the part of a FirstOnes there don't I?) ;)

Nice stuff by the way...

I'll have to take my little HD Digital Camcorder down to Rock Island and the Caney Fork River and shoot some of the sights for you guys.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    Yep, Burgess falls and the Twin Falls (Which, really, there are more than 2...) spent last Saturday in that area. The rest of the footage was from North GA, and some of the woods near Chattanooga.

You've got an awesome spot there JackN! So many neat things around Sparta. :)
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Very impressive. Really nice shots. One thing though. You spelled it Mountians in the beginning..
    [QUOTE=A2597;192374]Yep, Burgess falls and the Twin Falls (Which, really, there are more than 2...) spent last Saturday in that area. The rest of the footage was from North GA, and some of the woods near Chattanooga.

You've got an awesome spot there JackN! So many neat things around Sparta. :)[/QUOTE]

Bummer, I live 10 miles North of Twin (Great falls) wish I had known, I'd have met up with yah... :(

(Especially since I have so much time now being un employed... :s

Coming by again anytime soon?
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    I'm defiantly planning another trip up there. I'll probably take 111 straight up though. I went with the Photographic Society of Chattanooga last week, and they wanted to take 24 up and cut across. Just seems like a good way to add about 30 minutes to the drive.

I'll give you a heads up the next time I make my way up there. I want to do some more exploring and climbing in that area.

As for the typo...I never noticed it until you pointed it out. Thats what I get for late night editing. haha
    [QUOTE=A2597;192378]I'm defiantly planning another trip up there. I'll probably take 111 straight up though. I went with the Photographic Society of Chattanooga last week, and they wanted to take 24 up and cut across. Just seems like a good way to add about 30 minutes to the drive.

I'll give you a heads up the next time I make my way up there. I want to do some more exploring and climbing in that area.

As for the typo...I never noticed it until you pointed it out. Thats what I get for late night editing. haha[/QUOTE]

Jill and I just went to Chattanooga last Friday to get out of the house. Cabin Fever sets in on unemployment... :p April 7th was our Anniversary. We went to the Aquarium there on the river. That was fun...

Typo? Are you referring to Great Falls? It has multiple names around here. I think it is accurately named Great Falls, although some call it Twin Falls with the 2 main runs coming out of the rocks.

The Twin Falls I think of with that name is in Idaho... :p

Anywho... look forward to hearing from ya...

;)
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    I was referencing "Mountians" rather than "Mountains" in the title that messiah pointed out. :D

The aquariam may be on my list of destinations next weekend. Been awhile since I last went, and my family will be visiting. Also check out the Art District and walking bridge, nice spots over there. And if splurging, the Blue Water Grille is excellent. If wanting a more affordable meal, the Terminal Brewhouse on the corner of Main and Market Street has the BEST burgers in the area by a fair margin. They also brew their own beers, which is nice. (And they have a couple vegan meals, if that is your wish).
    [QUOTE=A2597;192388]The aquariam may be on my list of destinations next weekend. Been awhile since I last went, and my family will be visiting.[/QUOTE]

Seems a bit over-rated for the price we paid in tickets, but I gather that is because of tough times. I only had my Cell -camera working that day, half way to Chat I realized my HD digital Camcorder wasn't charged hardly at all like I thought it was the night before. :(

[QUOTE=A2597;192388]Also check out the Art District and walking bridge, nice spots over there. And if splurging, the Blue Water Grille is excellent. If wanting a more affordable meal, the Terminal Brewhouse on the corner of Main and Market Street has the BEST burgers in the area by a fair margin. They also brew their own beers, which is nice. (And they have a couple vegan meals, if that is your wish).[/QUOTE]

If we had had more time I would have liked to visit some other stuff, in the area. :) Will be a while till I can afford the gas and time to make the drive again.

With so much nearby, as well... :)
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    A#: That's a great video. You have an excellent eye for composition. You make me jealous. :)

I take it you've become a victim of the shitty economy, Jack? It seems to be the perfect excuse for anyone wanting to lay off a few people... I hope you find something suitable soon!

I need to check out some of the Japanese aquariums. I've heard some of the ones in Yokohama are very impressive, but I've yet to go to any.
    [QUOTE=Biggles;192395]A#: That's a great video. You have an excellent eye for composition. You make me jealous. :)

I take it you've become a victim of the shitty economy, Jack? It seems to be the perfect excuse for anyone wanting to lay off a few people... I hope you find something suitable soon!

I need to check out some of the Japanese aquariums. I've heard some of the ones in Yokohama are very impressive, but I've yet to go to any.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, finally caught up with me and the wife, and since we worked at the same place... :p
    Speaking of Great Falls:

I find this feature most interesting since it is fed by lateral faults in the limestone bedrock from the nearby river confluence and dam/lake.
    That's pretty cool.

There are a few places like that in NZ, too, but my favourite is so small it's easy to miss. A caldera lake in Auckland stretches almost to the sea. The border between the lake and the sea is porous scoria, so the fresh water from the lake leaks through and comes out just above sea level.
    I've been spending hours in Google Earth... Iceland, Pacific North West, Sumatra... I love the 360 photo panoramas too...

Been pinning just about every favorite volcanic site in MyPlaces too! :p
    What they call dry land fish around here:

Morel Mushroom
    I was going to get the FZ-100 but the more I thought about the less I liked the idea. The negative reviews wrt image quality didn't exactly help. Also Super-Zoom is not that useful. Most pictures and movies I've taken are medium to macro range. So my quest continues to find a good compact camera with Full HD video and stereo sound quality. I was all excited about the features that come with or are optionally available for the Lumix but it's not really what I need.

I suppose I just avoided a bad impulse purchase. Lucky me.... still very disappointing.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    Far better off going with an outside microphone anyway. Forget onboard if you want anything close to decent quality. (Not to mention it picks up EVERY little bit of camera noise).

I'd say the best bet is the 600D or 550D
    I hate internal microphones. If you use your voice even a little, it comes out louder than anything else in the video.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    I'm saving up for a Zoom H4 I think. (May just get an H2...still undecided there). Blood expensive little buggers though!

Multiple inputs will rock though. Especially if I do any interview type stuff.
    You know, I'm surprised the Nikon fanboys haven't parachuted in yet to get their grain of salt into the discussion. :D

Anyway, I'm mainly a Canon user myself, so I'll look into the 600D, because I got used to being able to twist that display on the back any way I want. That's why I liked the Lumix FZ-100 so much. The 550D is quite a bit cheaper though... :(

This means I'll also have to decide which objectives and filter(s) I'm going to have to buy.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    To be honest, when shooting video you're most likely going to have it on a tripod anyway, so yo *could* look at the T3. Spend the savings on a fluid head tripod for nice pans. :)
    I suppose you may be right. I'm not sure they still sell the T3 in my neck of the woods (Edit: the 600D appears to be sold as the T3i in some parts of the world). There's the 1100D though but then I need to evaluate whether 720p is good enough. I suspect 1080p is not the end of the line. After Full HD we'll probably get Ultra HD and after that Super HD and then they'll think of something else.

There is no point in paying full price for gadgets. I'll have to see what I really need. Never heard of a fluid head tripod before.

Here is another solution [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqSWV2fXkn8"]to get better results if you can do it yourself.[/URL]
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    Yep, I'll be building a steady cam.

The issue with photography tripods is that they don't pan smoothly at all, not designed to do so. Hence the need for a "video" head on the tripod, which are known as fluid head tripods.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE=RubberEagle;192366]and the DSLR Sensors read the image in lines, so sometimes the lines don't align... (with moving shots).[/QUOTE]Rolling shutter is basically type fault of CMOS sensors so it isn't limited just to DSLRs.

[QUOTE=Stingray;192434]but then I need to evaluate whether 720p is good enough. I suspect 1080p is not the end of the line.[/QUOTE]Of course there will eventually be cameras shooting higher resolution video even at consumer level but that's again in the future.
    But unless you consider old DVD resolution as good there's really not that much of HD in 720p.

I wouldn't myself even think about hauling camera capable only to 720p in coming Mt. Everest base camp trip. (or one which can't take stills during video recording)
    [QUOTE=Stingray;192434]I suppose you may be right. I'm not sure they still sell the T3 in my neck of the woods. There's the 1100D though but then I need to evaluate whether 720p is good enough. I suspect 1080p is not the end of the line. After Full HD we'll probably get Ultra HD and after that Super HD and then they'll think of something else.[/QUOTE]

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution]4K[/url]
    [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8K_Video_Format]8K[/url]
    [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_High_Definition_Television]UHDTV[/url]

Technology will never stop. As with anything else, the best you can do is get what you can at the time for the money and do your best to ignore the technology news for a few years so you don't feel depressed. :p