Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

My first video - 60D

2»

Comments

• E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE=Biggles;192443][url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution]4K[/url]
    [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8K_Video_Format]8K[/url]
    [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_High_Definition_Television]UHDTV[/url]

Technology will never stop.[/QUOTE]Technology might go forward but diffraction won't do that so unless you're ready to blow up size and weight of optics and body(=sensor) there's limit where you'll get just more fuzzy pixels.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    It works the same in reverse, too. An interesting BBC Research study found that, if you are sitting at the average distance away from your TV (I think it was 4m in the average British house), then you need a screen bigger than 42" for the pixels to be above the angular resolution of the human eye. The logical extension of this is that anything above 4K will be pointless unless you have a big TV, and above 8K will be pointless unless the wall of your lounge is a TV.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE=Biggles;192451]I think it was 4m in the average British house[/QUOTE]

What you are suggesting is that the average British house looks like this:

[IMG]http://www.bbc.co.uk/china/specials/images/1423_ukcastles/3143638_balmoral.jpg[/IMG]

I seriously doubt that the average is 4m. :D

That's just like Microsoft assuming that the average living room is large enough to use the Kinect as it is designed now. :D
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I found the [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/whp092.shtml]actual white paper[/url], which is far better than my flawed memory. :) The average distance is apparently 2.7m. 8K never even enters their results of necessary resolutions for screens 60" and below.
    I'm currently exploring the Nikon product line which often features nice alternatives as well.

In fact, it may be a race between the Canon 600D and the Nikon D5100 since I will need to get a few accessories and I don't want to blow my budget.

The Nikon is 20% less expensive and the lens kit I'm planning to get (18-105mm vs. 18-135mm) is not as powerful and the MP count is lower (16 vs. 18) but I think I can live with that. The price difference will allow me to get an external mike, 32GB SD card and a nice polar filter with a pouch to put everything in it.

Hmmm...
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    With memory cards for video, make certain to get a good class 10 card, with good read write speeds. at 1080p you want about 40mb/sec. (Which will partially be handled by the camera buffer) I'm on a 16GB card and haven't really run into an issue until a full day of shooting in RAW + Video at 1080p.
    Good thinking, I keep forgetting that with HD comes more data volume which needs faster transfer rates. I was going to get the 20MB/s variety.

I've seen some SanDisc Extreme Pro 16 GB with 45MB/s for a fair price and there are faster cards just around the corner but those will probably be too expensive. Thank you for your advice. :)
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Also, never forget the ability to have unbuffered burst capture, either. One of the best decisions I ever made for my photography habit was to purchase the fastest memory cards I could get my hands on. Being able to take several RAW shots in a given second without delay or need to empty the buffer makes a world of difference. The one time I ran short on memory, I was shooting a dance event and had to borrow a friend's 16gb Class 4 card. It was fine until the main event occurred. I hit the throughput cap in seconds and found myself missing nearly every good shot while waiting for the camera's buffer to empty.
    Well, there are faster CF cards out there, but AFAIK the Nikon only accepts three kinds of SD cards. I will get the fastest I can afford, which right now appears to be the 16GB 45MB/s card from SanDisc.

Anyway, I'm just going to buy the camera and one SD card and go on from there. I almost picked the wrong diameter for my radial polar uv filter. I'll get an additional battery as well, but not until I know the exact specs as there is a whole market of compatible stuff out there.
    It's too late now, it's done. The Nikon D5100 is ordered, as is a 32GB SanDisk (Extreme Pro) HC 45MB/s SD card. While the 32GB SD costs twice as much as the 16GB one, it's never a good idea to save money on memory. There is no such thing as too much memory, ever. :D

So the hardware I just ordered is capable of doing [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh7uueMmLEA"]this.[/URL] I love the artistic touches, like the fading of the moving character. No idea how he does it, so much to learn. :)
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    The fading of the character is just a transition between clips in whatever program he compiled the video clips in.

Grats on the order, I look forward to seeing your first video! :) (And don't be surprised when your first clips come out looking not at all like what you expected or wanted...just stick with it and you'll get good stuff. :) )
    That shouldn't take too long since I've done some experiments in iMovie before which allowed me to add my own music with my own movie with some intro and credits transitions. I'm hoping that the Nikon MOVie files are 100% compatible with my Mac. Then I can focus on what's important, content. I use mainly HandShake to do conversions. I don't want to mess around with codecs... I just want that darn thing to work.
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    I haz 7D with a 17-40L prime lens.

:)
    It's not just what you have that counts, but what you do with it. ;)

I'm still waiting for some accessories to arrive. As it turns out I won't be filming monitor displays with a DSLR either. I'll use Fraps for that. I did get a nice (chunky) stereo mike for voice-over work, the GTrack from SAMSON.

Right now I'm suffering from allergies which result in a runny nose and a sore throat. Excellent timing indeed.