Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

[OT] 'Personal Themes'

Comments

• Warlord IIWarlord II Earthforce Officer
    I got that email and replied. Don't have PayPal though.

In my school, grades are from 0 - 5 (0 failed -> 5 being the best). From my exams currently I got 5, 4½ and 3½. Not bad start imo.
  • i too received that email, haven't had time to relpy tho...
    Currently I'm injured in army. Stress injury or probably even march fracture in left hip. There's possibility that they give me E papers (Indie knows what it means). Basically they kick you out and you have to come back later. Or I could get easier job than using 120mm mortar. Like office work :D. On positive side I have now 512/512 adsl at home.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Warlord II [/i]
    [B]Or I could get easier job than using 120mm mortar. [/B][/QUOTE]Ouch - so I can understand why you have probs with your hip. I was stationed at a armoured infantryman (Panzergrenadier) bataillon and a regiment was also equipped with such weapons. Not the best job there. ;) (luckily I was in another regiment, we had just MGs, MPs, Pistoles or semi-automatic rifles).

EDIT: Congrats to your good adsl connection. Hoping you can use it soon more often than now. :)
  • As you may have already noticed that I haven't been active here in a long time but now I'm able to get back to work actively again. I would have lots of time at the moment for Buda5 but I still could have a use to those campaing mission documents. I tried to finish one of the campaing mission I've made by my own but I think it's too crappy
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Aurora SF [/i]
    [B]I still could have a use to those campaing mission documents. I tried to finish one of the campaing mission I've made by my own but I think it's too crappy[/B][/QUOTE]If I understand you correctly you need some support for the missions design?
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Roi Danton [/i]
    [B]If I understand you correctly you need some support for the missions design? [/B][/QUOTE]

The documents which Indie has made. I just need something what shows the nature and the direction of the campaing missions before I can start.
  • LogicSequenceLogicSequence Elite Ranger
    hey guys :(... well i guess it doesn't take a genius to notice i've been sparse these last few weeks... it's been very busy around here with class and all. And lately a lot of... badness has happened in my personal life that's left me well... depressed, sad, hopeless... take your pick. It seems, like londo, the universe just likes to fuck with me and my emotions.

Long story short i suppose would be the my BEST friend has decided he no longer wants to be friends with me, aside from the casual hello cause we have class together... he took the time last week to sit me down and lay all this out for me... how he thought we shouldn't be friends anymore, and whatnot....

yea having your best friend do that kinda sucks the life out of you... even more so than if it was someone u were dating. not to mention this is about the 3rd time in as many years i've had a friend do that... it kinda gives u that sickening hopeless feeling in your stomach... so i suppose what i'm saying is... i dunno what i'll be contributing for a while... with everything that's happened my heart just isn't in it any more... at least not now... i'll try and keep you guys updated... talk to u all later...
  • Well, that really hard b/c it's already the third time it ended so. I've also lost my first girlfriend (was together with her about 2 1/2 year) in a bad way (she found another guy .. well she also lived in another city than me due to study). But there'll better times come. Maybe, you have to look at yourself and think about what you have done wrong that your friends acted in that way?!
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by LogicSequence [/i]
    [B]... with everything that's happened my heart just isn't in it any more... at least not now... i'll try and keep you guys updated... talk to u all later... [/B][/QUOTE]So what you mean with that? Related to Buda5?
  • SimonDRSimonDR Earthforce Officer
    Sorry to here about the problems you are all having, i've been there myself.

Don't know if this helps or not but you will always have friends here. As i read in a different topic "once BUDA5, always BUDA5". :D

It looks like we are slowly draining away which is not to good.

The thing is do we still have enough people to carry on or should we look to other things.

Maybe' like was said in another post we could look to another game to start modding together as a team (like X2 which i am looking at just now) or try and stick with EOC although there are fewer people using it by the looks of things.

It would be nice if we all stuck together as a team but then as always you will get personal problems which could make it hard to carry on with things.

I am about to get a new system so there will be a few games out there i will be getting which i couldn't get before dew to the old system not being able to run them so i will be doing that for a wee while as well as some modding in any free time i get.

Still having one or two small problems with the firehawk but hopefully i'll get them sorted some time.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SimonDR [/i]
    [B]"once BUDA5, always BUDA5". :D[/B][/QUOTE]:) ... if you scroll to some posts above you'll see that I've posted 'bout my little time for BUDA5, too, but I said not to completely end workings on it. If there's something very important to do (besides the long task called "Campaign" ;) )/questions of ppl etc I'm online.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by SimonDR [/i]
    [B]It would be nice if we all stuck together as a team[/B][/QUOTE]Jep, that would be nice.

I've bought X² recently and looked a little bit deeper at it. Its modability could be better than I expected before (i.e. it has a nice AI scripting from what I've seen for now ). So maybe it'll be more effective to create the Explorer Campaign for that game ... tho it's to early to decide ... I just want to specify the idea of changing the platform.

PS: Does anyone know whats up with Indie? He didn't posted here for a long time and didn't said anything that he'll be absent.
  • IndieIndie Moderator
    Ahh... yeah, I've been away and haven't been posting or checking the boards. Like I said couple of months ago I was going to be terribly busy with school and coursework and that part seems to have come true. Also I was having slight inspirational problems.

In any case we are still around despite of working on lower gears. Doing a campaign certainly seems like a far off goal now but I might still come up with a scenario or two during the summer. Who knows. :)

Oh, and hi Simon. :) :D

Btw, any of you ever though seriously about becoming a games developer?
  • Nice to see ya

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Indie [/i]
    [B]Btw, any of you ever though seriously about becoming a games developer? [/B][/QUOTE]Me, seriously, but bad requisites here in germany for that. With my working besides the study (freelance work as Spinning Instructor .. I need the sport as compensation for the study) I get to know by and by how baffling the german "red tape" is.

So I decided to do an engineering study course due to the better prospects for a later job here (currently I'm in the 6th semester) ... but well, the dream of developing games never dies ;)

... not as a programmer mainly - for this my "do-it-myself-knowledge" isn't enough (a little bit C++, Pascal/Delphi and the script based languages HTML and JavaScript for my homepage) - but as a designer (missions, plot, GUI, texts, ...) I would [i]love[/i] to work in a game dev team ... in my short freetime or at holiday I like reading and writing (shortly I read the newest book from Frederick Forsyth: Avenger ... simply great).

Btw, nice to hear that nothing bad has happened to you! :)
    Hi Indie, how's it going mate.

One of these days i am going to make my own fps using Dark Basic. It will be set in the Warhammer 40K world as i am a big Games Workshop fan and there are very few WH 40K fps's out there. In fact there is only one Fire Warrior which i am playing just now as i have not long had my new computer so i have been playing games i couldn't play before (just finished playing Halo and will be starting to play X2 soon (funny that i have put a couple of ships into the game befotre i have even played it :D ).

Anyway i am happy with the job i have. Being out in the fresh air is good, but if i ever one the lottery then i would probably start my own company for creating games but that will more than likely never happen.:D

Anyway good to here from you Indie.
    [B]Btw, any of you ever though seriously about becoming a games developer? [/B][/QUOTE]That's more like dream but I would if there was a chance. First I'm going to finish school though and let's see then. There is game programming course(s) somewhere in Finland but not many game companies so it's probably hard to get job. If not games then I will program something else as a job but that's few years in future.
  • Roi DantonRoi Danton Moderator
    Well, if we continue workings somehow I could imagine one of these ways, when we've finished our Diplomas/Masters/whatever or Simon wants to be on the same place for a couple of time. ;)
    Also it sounds like far dreams I want to hear if you think that ideas are realistic or completely "ivory-tower" ;) .

[list][*]Official work for WB as design team for Bab5 ... very very unlikely, b/c most of us aren't programmers w/ diploma/master or reference projects[*]As an own team on an own project.[*]As an own team (with more additional programmers/designers/... I know from family and friends or you know(?)) on a space/strategy sim for a very popular SciFi-Universe (in germany) called "Perry Rhodan" (I have contacts to authors)[/list]
  • IndieIndie Moderator
    LOL! So there is a budding game developer in all of us. :D

I've been thinking about it too. The easiest way to get started would be to start a business of your own. The biggest problem is getting enough money to get started. In order to get funding from a publisher you'd need to have something to show - a technology demo of your game. It takes a lot of work to do something like that and you probably need at least a small team for that.

Also, the game idea would have to be something that the publisher thinks will sell good. AFAIK, the sales of space sims and shooters haven't been that good. Does anyone know how X2 did? FPS games sell good, but I find them rather dull. However, I think I could put a some nice new twists to the genre if I put my mind to it... ;)

So, maybe... :) We can also buy Simon a laptop so he can continue to work while he is on a boat or travelling.:p :D

Roi:

1. Unlikely now, but since B5 is no longer in production I'd imagine licence cost will keep dropping. Unless of course, WB suits want to hold on to it just because they can...
    2. This one is easiest. Just start making desing plans. :) For a commercial title, you'd need a large(ish) team, but a shareware game is not hard to do for just a couple of people.
    3. Like with B5, you'd probably need to pay some licence fees although they'd likely be lower.
    To remember you, I just started my school and it's gonna take 4 years so I'm at least not moving anywhere so it would still be work via internet. And I'm not good programmer with c/c++ yet.
    [B]

So, maybe... :) We can also buy Simon a laptop so he can continue to work while he is on a boat or travelling.:p :D

[/B][/QUOTE]

I allready have one for taking with me to work thanks. :D
    Yep, the preworks like the technologie demo and scripts for the story needs much unpaid work (well, we're familiar with this ;) ).

@FPS: I don't think there is a need for anymore when I look at FarCry, HL2, Doom3, Stalker, Thief, Söldner and so on. ;)
    @Genre: I would think a combined Space- and StrategieSim is good, with a complex ship control and correct physics, but with combats where you "see" more from the other ships so they makes more fun than i.e. in I-War 2.

My brother currently works on a 3D Engine programmed with Assembler that supports Shader2.0. (so it will be good enough still in 2years)

What Warlord mentioned is one of the main problems: We have to continue working over the internet and currently have no chance to can work together in "one room" (what would be faster and easier).

My study still lasts 2 1/2 year and my free time besides the study is very little. So a serious work on such a project will be for me at least after the study.

@X²: It sold well at least here in germany b/c they made much adv in magazines here b/c the devs come from here.
  • LogicSequenceLogicSequence Elite Ranger
    hey guys, just letting u know i'm still lurking about ;)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by LogicSequence [/i]
    [B]hey guys, just letting u know i'm still lurking about ;) [/B][/QUOTE]Nice to listen to. :) Hoping you're well after the long time of silence!

I wrote to Morte b/c of the [url=http://forums.firstones.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6479]Tinashi Collision Hull issue[/url]. He answered following:[quote]I'm afraid I can't really do anything with the Tinashi- I don't have the tools anymore. What you need to do though is just load up the collision hull and flip it through 180 degrees so that it lines up, then save as 5.6 format.[/quote]Since I haven't Lightwave could you do it? Simon isn't available currently.

And maybe you have one-two minutes for the [url=http://forums.firstones.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6459]MP Mod[/url]. :)
    Finally out of the army. It feels so FREE.

School starts in September so I have some free time but first I have to arrange some real life things and also school things because I have been away 6 months.

@Spacesim: I assume newtonian physics require complex physics, math and vector calculation. I'm not very good at them...it's so-so. And again I'm not programmer yet though I started reading c++ book in army which is about object oriented programming with c++. It would be different thing with finished engine though.

Did you get this kind of email:

[QUOTE]Juha,

Game scripter x 3

As a leading provider of staffing solutions to Canada’s leading game studios, were tasked to search Europe for experienced game candidates for our clients’ current and upcoming titles.

One of our premier clients is currently searching for game scripters. They will be responsible for creating mission based gameplay for an action, console title

You will implement, debug, test and tune in-game missions using a C-derived scripting language
    You will understand and adhere to the requirements of the project's game and visual design.
    You will assist with the layout of world geometry and placement of dynamic objects.
    Test levels for bugs, playability, and fun.
    Fix problems as they arise and provide gameplay feedback.
    Understand the requirements and constraints of the game engine and platform.
    Stay current on gaming trends and perform market research

Requirements:

Excellent verbal and visual communication skills
    Basic knowledge of C/ C++ programming concepts
    A passion for playing videogames, especially console games
    Ability to take direction and work under the guidelines of the design and art team
    Works well with others and under pressure
    A team player that understands the development process
    Ideally candidates will have game industry experience in QA, Game Design, or Programming AI or mission scripting experience for a game mod or published title

Non-Canadian citizens must have a minimum 2 year University or college degree plus industry experience as defined in the description.

Candidates must be fluent in English (spoken/written)

Must be willing to relocate quickly.

Respond attn: Ales Chamners Game recruiter

[email]resume@amadeusinteractive.com[/email]

Please include the job title in the subject line of your email

Full benefits package includes top level salary, company paid medical/dental, paid vacation, bonus, relocation and visa sponsorship if required

Candidates must be willing to relocate to Canada for the long term[/QUOTE]
    That quote lacks the html formatting from original email since I just copy pasted the text.

I thought it might be spam but it's pretty formal. Also I like to do the kind of games I want and not something like you are said to altough this oppurtunities won't come everyday. And it's only 3 people from whole Europe.

I'm not going for it because I don't even meet requirements since non-canadians need at least 2 years at university (I'm not even in university, I'm not sure what's american equivalent for ammattikorkeakoulu). And I'm not moving to Canada that's for sure. Not this suddenly.

BTW why Canadians won't need to be university students?
    Hiho Warlord,

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Warlord II [/i]
    [B]Finally out of the army. It feels so FREE[/B][/QUOTE]Oh yeah, I remember this feeling 3 years back (at July 1st :) ).

@Email:
    Negativ, I didn't got it respectively it wandered into my spam folder.
    Though it's written in an official tone it sounds a little bit strange generally. Why they search ppl from europe and why "non-canadian" (implizies that Canadians don't need that) need a university/college degree of at least 2 years?
    Well, a discussion 'bout that would be senseless due to what you mentioned ... the requirements mentioned in the email are high for a student (giving up your local education to work there).
    PCI Express

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Warlord II in [url=http://forums.firstones.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=109013#post109013]this post[/url][/i]
    [B]I have P3 1GHz, 256mb sdram @100mhz, Geforce 3 Ti200 which is pretty low spec these days. I just hope they release pci express quickly. [/B][/QUOTE]You don't need to wait for PCI express due to following reasons:

[list][*]AGP 8x has a greater bandwith than even the fastest vid cards (Radeon X800XT PE, GeForce 6800 Ultra) needs. So PCI Express 16x wouldn't be an enhancement for the vid card speed in the next two years.[*]Until PCI express (4x,8x) will be required for other cards (like sound cards) it'll take a long time. PCI is still fast enough for such cards. And Network,USB,Firewire and so on is integrated in the Mainboards chip.[/list]Btw, if your reason waiting for PCI express is a different: I won't wait for PCI express just to make sure that I could upgrade in two years w/o problems.
    For computer upgrades I won't plan that long time: For example the DDR2 standard should have been in the market already for 1 1/2 year and we still have DDR1.
    I thought about the upgradebility not the needed bandwith now. In few years video cards will probably be for pci express and when it's so close for its release would there be point buying current technology. Though there might be some issues with the new technology. I don't know, I could upgrade now because I have the money.
    [B]I don't know, I could upgrade now because I have the money.[/B][/QUOTE]It's up to you, but I recommend to saving money and buying a mid-range system (good vid chip regarding speed/price is the Radeon9800Pro).
    In 1 1/2 year or so you can upgrade your vid card again, it's cheaper than buying now an expensive high-end card. And in the end of 2005 there will be still vid cards for AGP.

Besides all that, it also depends on the usage. If you need a new computer NOW then get a current available mid-range system. If you don't need it now and want to wait a few month you can buy PCI express.
    But I won't wait just for this technology. I just would wait when I don't need a faster computer at the moment: So all in all I would decide it by heeding my practical requirements.
    Well my computer is pretty slow and sometimes even in normal Windows use. That's probably because WinXP needs much memory and from time to time it starts swapping when there's many open programs. It gets frustrating quite often.
    [B]Well my computer is pretty slow and sometimes even in normal Windows use. That's probably because WinXP needs much memory and from time to time it starts swapping when there's many open programs. It gets frustrating quite often. [/B][/QUOTE]Well, under these circumstances you should buy a new computer now, but I wouldn't spend more than 900€.
    I wasn't going to spend that much. I'm student after all so I need money for school books etc. I have bought new monitor quite recently so I don't need that but I'll buy new case and power supply because they aren't very good (I've got only old 250w psu which isn't enough), motherboard, cpu, memory and video card. Actually I already ordered from online store. Hopefully I get the parts next Thursday or Friday (they didn't have the motherboard in storage).