Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Badger

shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
I have 1.8 Revell Star Fury kits, (one full kit and one kit with pieces missing), so I thought I'd build a Badger, the Fury with the rear facing second crew/cockpit area.

I need references, can you guys help me out ?

Pics, JMS discussions, anything thats 'canon' or atleast 'legit' in some way, I want to try and make it realatively accurate.

cheers in advance

Comments

• SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Well, I found it! First CG shot on Season 1's "A Voice In the Wilderness" part 2. It's exiting the cruiser and flying towards B5. Very nice series of shots displaying its goods. DVDs are a wonderful thing...

I'll be attemting to capture these when I wake up tomorrow, but if anyone else has the DVDs and wants to try, please feel free to do so.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    As I recall, the two-person Starfury isn't actually called a Badger.
  • WHYWHY Elite Ranger
    afaik that's a "Heavy Starfury" and not a badger...

Also, I believe there's a short shot of one in ITB.
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    ok then, the badger is what ???

anyways.. a moot point seeing as I have two fury kits to work with... unless a badger is something based on a fury...

looks like I'll be building a 'heavy fury'...
  • WHYWHY Elite Ranger
    We know a badger exists, but it was never shown.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Well according to my AoG miniature, a Badger is a StarFury with a second cockpit (identical to the first) flush with the back, unlike the Heavy's more skeletal looking cockpit. It also has a large swiveling gatling-gun thing attached to the bottom, and four missile tubes on the bottom inside wings.
    Close enough. :D

The gun-thing amuses me.

It's as big as, if not bigger than the cockpit itself. :D
    [url=http://home.firstones.com/sanfam/heavy_starfury.zip]Download the Screencap collection of the Heavy Starfury Here[/url]

Enjoy!

[img]http://home.firstones.com/sanfam/PDVD_014.jpg[/img]

It's nice looking :D
  • LogicSequenceLogicSequence Elite Ranger
    [IMG]http://www.b5tech.com/earthalliance/earthallianceshipsandvessels/earthfighters/badger.jpg[/IMG]

BADGER CLASS STARFURY

class: SA-25A Badger
    type: Heavy Fighter
    length: 10.21 Meters
    mass: 52 metric tons
    power: 3 Fusion Batteries
    duration: 2 hours [standard]
    accel.: 0.9 km/s
    crew: 2 Pilot
    agility: Class A-
    weapon: 1 32mm Gatling Rail Gun
    6 40mm Pulse Cannons
    4 40mm Plasma Bolt Cannons
    Fusion missiles [8 points]
    defense: 5.0 Centimeter re-enforced armor

The SA-25A Mitchell-Hyundyne Badger class Starfury is a dual-seat, non-atmospheric aassault fighter, developed during the Earth Minbari war in the hopes of improving Earthforce's combat record against the more advanced Nial class Heavy Fighter used by the Minbari Federation.

Heavier and better armed that the Aurora class Starfury and almost as nimble, the Badger was utilized by Earthforce capital ships and fixed installations for long range attack operations on enemy targets, prior to the introduction of the Thunderbolt class Starfury.

A standard Badger is some 10.21 meters (33.5 feet) long from nose to tail, 17.87 meters (58.63 feet) from side to side, and 8.08 meters (26.52 feet) from top to bottom. This figure takes into account the size of the ship, including the fighters rear jet foils.

The Badger is armed with six 40mm JC-266-A unidirectional Pulse Cannons four fireing forward and two aft firing guns under the control of the rear facing navigator. In addition to forward pulse cannons the pilot also has at his/her disposal a gatling style rail-gun, capable of firing high velocity projectiles and is tied directly into the pilot's helmet, so whatever target he looks at is automaticly painted by the ship's visual targeting computer. Mounted on the lower wings are four 40mm plasma bolt cannons, more powerful than the pulse cannons but with a longer regarche time. Badgers also have eight (8) hard-points for extra weapons, such as fusion missiles, just like on the Aurora class Starfury.

Targeting systems are guided by a Duffy 1018 MJS smart targeting computer with a sweeping range of 70,000 kilometers/s3 with the addition of a visual laser-optical targeting system designed specifially so pilots can maintain lock and fire upon stealth targets like the Minbari's Nial class Heavy Fighter.

[*Non-atmospheric capability based on fact the Badger was a modified SA-23]
    [*Length estimated based on the size of the gatling on the Aurora's frame]
    [*Size figures based on the Aurora, taken from B5 Security Manual]
    [*Weapons for the Aurora, stated in the Sierra video game "Into the Fire" & guide, & Security Manual]
    [*Conjecture based on the rotational feature of the gatling gun, similar to that on the US Apache Helo.]
    [**These weapons, while thought to be missiles, were actually guns, as seen in A Voice In The Wilderness part two]
    [**Missile figures taken from the B5 Security Manual and Sierra CD-ROM guide]
    [**Scanner figures from B5 Security Manual]
  • PJHPJH The Lovely Thing
    Not a Badger, a Heavy Starfury.

- PJH
    i respectively disagree :)
    Just to be clear here: what exactly is a Badger?
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    Does it actually matter if it's called a Badger or a Heavy Starfury?
  • JamboJambo Scriptkiddie
    We should have a vote!

I think its called a Badger :)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by CurZ [/i]
    [B]Does it actually matter if it's called a Badger or a Heavy Starfury? [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, it does if the Badger is something else.
    all i'm saying is everywhere i see specs for it it's ALWAYS been called a Badger, that's all i've ever seen it refered too... i've never seen it refered to as a "heavy starfury".
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by LogicSequence [/i]
    [B]all i'm saying is everywhere i see specs for it it's ALWAYS been called a Badger, that's all i've ever seen it refered too... i've never seen it refered to as a "heavy starfury". [/B][/QUOTE]

That's because everybody >thinks< it's a Badger, but it's not and it's a fact. I think most of the people here and on at least BeyondBabylon.com forums knows it, but I think generally people out there don't know about it, because of all that false information around, like on B5tech. Many people have quoted information from B5tech throughout the years, but often the information has not been correct. Don't get me wrong, it's a great site, but it's a fan site and has contained lots of mis-information during the years.

I don't remember where we originally found out about the Badger, but somebody here sure must remember. Actually it was described in some book IIRC. I think it was one of those novels.

- PJH
  • Sergei SSergei S Earthforce Officer
    I've come into knowing "Badger" name from these two George Johnsen's (CoProducer, B5) Usenet posts:
    [QUOTE]The newer ships under development are all of smaller classes, like the
    Olympus Class Corvette, the Badger heavy fighter, and the Cotten Class
    Deep Penetration Tender. We will see these participate heavily in the
    second of the TNT movies.
    [/QUOTE][QUOTE]There are other ships in the EA arsenal that are of slightly different
    characteristic, like the Badger assault fighter and the Olympus class
    Corvettes that give a wider range of capabilities of a pretty well
    rounded force.[/QUOTE]
    Here are the links for full messages (respectively):
    [URL=http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/find/Usenet/jms97-04-usenet/15.html]Re: Omega-class cruiser design (POSSIBLE SPOILERS)[/URL] -- 9 Apr 1997
    [URL=http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/find/Usenet/jms97-04-usenet/3.html]Re: StarFury vs. Thunderbolt[/URL] -- 2 Apr 1997
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    I believe Agents of gaming referred to the Heavy Starfury as the 'Badger'.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Yep I always thought it was called a Badger aswell. Its the first name that springs to mind when I see that 2 seater Starfury.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PJH [/i]
    [B]That's because everybody >thinks< it's a Badger, but it's not and it's a fact. I think most of the people here and on at least BeyondBabylon.com forums knows it, but I think generally people out there don't know about it, because of all that false information around, like on B5tech. Many people have quoted information from B5tech throughout the years, but often the information has not been correct. Don't get me wrong, it's a great site, but it's a fan site and has contained lots of mis-information during the years.

I don't remember where we originally found out about the Badger, but somebody here sure must remember. Actually it was described in some book IIRC. I think it was one of those novels.

- PJH [/B][/QUOTE]

and how do you know that your information is any more correct than mine?? hmmm?

P.S.
    IT'S A BADGER! ;)
    [B]and how do you know that your information is any more correct than mine?? hmmm?[/b][/quote]

Because I am the king of the Aardvarks. ;)

Seriously, as I said I don't remember the details, but believe me, it was generally concluded and proved here a long ago (years) that the two seater Starfury, which everyone thought earlier as well to be a Badger, is not.

[quote][b]P.S.
    IT'S A BADGER! ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

NO IT'S NOT! ;)

- PJH
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PJH [/i]
    [B]Because I am the king of the Aardvarks. ;)

Seriously, as I said I don't remember the details, but believe me, it was generally concluded and proved here a long ago (years) that the two seater Starfury, which everyone thought earlier as well to be a Badger, is not.

NO IT'S NOT! ;)

- PJH [/B][/QUOTE]

PROVE IT :p

P.S.
    YES IT IS :p
  • Roi DantonRoi Danton Moderator
    Heavy

Badger is fine - the common appellation "Heavy" is too boring b/c it's used everwhere for every bigger version of something, like Heavy Transport, Heavy Fighter, Heavy girl and so on. :p

I'm voting for the term "[b]Badger[/b]" (btw, it has nothing to do that Logic and me are in the same "boat" and have to stick together ;) ).
  • shadow boxershadow boxer The Finger Painter & Master Ranter
    Nice to see you mod boys out here with us 'mainstream' peeps..:)

Looks like I will be building a 'Badger', I havent seen anything yet which gives me any indication that a Heavy fury and a Badger are not one and the same. I kinda find it hard to believe there are two variants that are so similar to each other. In CGI terms thats a waste of time if they look so damned similar it wouldnt be worth seeing both of them on screen... not to mention the confusion it would cause the audience... as I guess this topic makes clear...

remember the only reason Darth's Tie Fighter looks any different to a regular one is because the audience had to identify which was his...

the rest of the 'background' came later.
  • Roi DantonRoi Danton Moderator
    *digging out from our little board*

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by shadow boxer [/i]
    [B]Nice to see you mod boys out here with us 'mainstream' peeps..:)[/B][/QUOTE]
    Yes, we recognized that there exists more than our little Dev and Discussion Forum ;) .

Your explanation sounds good and pursuable also it's only a assumption.
    [B]PROVE IT :p

P.S.
    YES IT IS :p [/B][/QUOTE]

You prove it. :p

No it's not. :p

- PJH
    i already did! i at least offered evidence! now you offer some!

P.S.
    IT IS A B A D G E R !!!!
    You offered a pile of specs with no indication as to where they came from.
  • Andy La RubinAndy La Rubin Earthforce Officer
    Badger-lovers, understand this:

1. Badger was mentioned by George Johnsen as a one of the *new* ships (reread Sergei S' post). And that post was in the middle of 4th season! And 2-seated 'fury was around already at the time (from season 1).

2. Tim Earls mentioned that Badger was *his* one of the first designs in B5, but it *never* saw the light of day. (But I can't quote TE exactly here, I've kinda lost the reference...)