Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Like anyone gives a rats ass what the UN says

[url]http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2004/09/21/kofi040921.html[/url]

All this will just fall on death ears, noone gives a fuck what the UN says.

Comments

• MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    Noone is not correct, USA doesn't care THAT is true.

The problem is that we NEED UN now more than ever.Annan is correct in his claims, you dont care that civilians are slaughtered?

I feel sorry for you for having such a wrong view upon matters of importance like these.
  • what we need is for the UN to actually get off their collective asses and DO something.

Currently the UN is good at one thing: Talk.

when it comes to action, well...a sloth has a better chance of circumnavigating the globe unaided in a single day.
  • CnlPepperCnlPepper Earthforce Officer
    The UN [B]is[/B] its member states (ie the countries in it). It can't "get off its ass" unless its member states want to.

The UN as an organisational body no real power, it can only really make suggestions that the member states vote on and then do. They are ment to have certain obligations by signing up to the UN, obligations which are often ignored it seems.

Hence the repeated call for the UN to be reformed into a more powerful body and a less biased one (speaking of the security council permanent members).

CnlPepper - Wish people would understand what the UN is....
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    The UN was created for the purpose of preventing another major world war. The problem with the US view of the UN is that we see them as our toy. They should do what we want. When they don't, they are ineffective. But their purpose is not to blindly support war from the US...just becuase during the Cold War that often happened doesn't mean that the US has any supreame position within the UN - only reason that happened during the cold war is becuase Russia didn't show up for most of the UN sessions becuase they didn't trust the UN...and China refused to show at all. No one to check the "authorized" wars of the US. This is no longer the case - countries who don't want us to go to war now are on the Security Council.

I would like to know why the US, the biggest country that has routinely NOT paid our UN dues, should expect the UN to follow our lead?

Perhaps people that think the UN is useless really want a new world war...some seem to be looking that direction.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mundane [/i]
    [B]

I feel sorry for you for having such a wrong view upon matters of importance like these. [/B][/QUOTE]

Edit: Its not my views on the UN, just seems alot of people think that

Noone is care what the UN says, and does not give a rats ass what they say, the only countrys that seem to care are the Mid-power countrys. I find it rather unforunate that noone cares what the UN says, and noone is wants to give the UN the power to do somthing.

The UN is just like the Student Counsil in schools.

[quote]Perhaps people that think the UN is useless really want a new world war...some seem to be looking that direction.[/quote]

Sounds like the people at Spacebattles. I have that feeling to.

[url]http://kier.3dfrontier.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71342[/url] - look there
  • I can't readily think of anything the UN has managed to accomplish really...

They try to order the member nations around over mundane stuff, talk endlessly over other things that need action, etc.

I wouldn't shed a tear if it was dissolved.

Now, President Wilson's League of Nations, THAT was a good idea IMHO. Shame that never came into being.
    But A2597...the UN was based upon the League of Nations model.

And there is a LOT the UN has accomplished - during the cold war they gave legitamcy to US intervention throughout the world. The point of the UN is the avery another world war, not to coddle the US. Nor is it for the US to coddle the UN. The UN is designed as a non-sovereign location at which nations can work out their differences. It is not supposed to enact war. It is supposed to condem war without reason, and condem it it has in Iraq. It is this condemnation that has conservatives up in arms, but you have to look not at the condemnation but at the reasons for it. There is a definate political bias to the UN. The UN represents other countries and as such has political ramifications in those countries as to its decisions. The US is one of those countries. I do not agree that the US should refuse to act unilaterally, and in fact the US has a long history of unilateral action. However, I do not feel we can completely ignore the UN either when it comes to matters of war - the UN gives the US legitamacy in it's actions. For this reason alone it is important to have UN backing.

--RC
  • I'm not mad at the UN for Iraq, in a way, I even agree with them. (If grudgingly. ;) )

And, if the UN stayed with JUST peacekeeping, I'd be fine there as well.

But they take every nations troops and put them on peace keeping missions (Mainly the US and British forces)
    they consume mass amounts of money (Mainly US)
    And they stick their noses into other matters of state, not just peacekeeping.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by A2597 [/i]
    [B]But they take every nations troops and put them on peace keeping missions (Mainly the US and British forces) [/b][/quote]

Well, it is made up of every nation... and I don't think it's mainly US and British troops.

[quote][b]they consume mass amounts of money (Mainly US)[/b][/quote]

Where's your evidence for most of the funding for the UN coming from the US?

[quote][b]And they stick their noses into other matters of state, not just peacekeeping. [/B][/QUOTE]

Isn't it better to try and avoid letting problems develop, rather than letting them reach genocidal proportions and then sending in peace keepers to clean up the mess after thousands or millions have died?
  • TyvarTyvar Next best thing to a St. Bernard
    Alright all you ninnies, Im going to tell you to put your hands where your mouth is.

You want the UN to do something? you want the UN to end genocide?

It MEANS WAR. Your going to have to invade various nations, your going to have to round up the former leaders and try them, and either lock them away, or safer yet, to just kill them. Your going to have to garrison the country to suppress other elements, perhaps martial law, then put up with an insurgancy.

Basicly, in each country you want to change, your going to have to duplicate american actions in Iraq, you will have to establish that great, dominiring bloody empire you are all screaming against.

your going to have to kill millions.

Thats the real world for you. Thats how you get things done. Do I need to shove your face in the shit anymore, or is it plain enough for everyone?
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tyvar [/i]
    [B]Alright all you ninnies, Im going to tell you to put your hands where your mouth is.

It MEANS WAR. Your going to have to invade various nations, your going to have to round up the former leaders and try them, and either lock them away, or safer yet, to just kill them. Your going to have to garrison the country to suppress other elements, perhaps martial law, then put up with an insurgancy.

Basicly, in each country you want to change, your going to have to duplicate american actions in Iraq, you will have to establish that great, dominiring bloody empire you are all screaming against.

Thats the real world for you. Thats how you get things done. Do I need to shove your face in the shit anymore, or is it plain enough for everyone? [/B][/QUOTE]

GREAT! LETS GET STARTED!
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    Cable Guy, would it kill you to post a [b]serious[/b] reply for once in your life?
  • CurZCurZ Resident Hippy
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Vertigo1 [/i]
    [B]Cable Guy, would it kill you to post a [b]serious[/b] reply for once in your life? [/B][/QUOTE]

No need to rag on someone for not being serious on a forum. It is, after all, just a forum.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Cabl3 Guy [/i]
    [B]GREAT! LETS GET STARTED! [/B][/QUOTE]

Where should we start... I got the nukes armed and Ready.....

We dont have to kill millions, we just have to wipe out a few Small countrys to make a point.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Captain,Simmonds [/i]
    [B]Where should we start... I got the nukes armed and Ready.....

We dont have to kill millions, we just have to wipe out a few Small countrys to make a point. [/B][/QUOTE]

Cool, lets start with you and your immediate family...
    *Backs Vertigo's decision to use Simmonds against Simmonds*
    thats it, if we kill the one country everybody in the world thinks of as nice, they will KNOW we mean buisness!! :D
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tyvar [/i]
    [B]Alright all you ninnies, Im going to tell you to put your hands where your mouth is.

Thats the real world for you. Thats how you get things done. Do I need to shove your face in the shit anymore, or is it plain enough for everyone? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yep. I've said it elsewhere here on these forums. The real work is ugly, dirty, and messy, and war tags along like a stray mut...

To do nothing means that you turn your face away while millions die at the hands of some dictator and/or his policies.

I have nothing against the US going into Iraq to remove Saddam. It should have been done a decade ago. How many more suffered under him.

Why are people dying over there now? Insurgents, people who aren't even of that country, are taking not just military lives, but civilians, innocents, the lives of those who DO live there and belong there.
    [B]Edit: Its not my views on the UN, just seems alot of people think that

Noone is care what the UN says, and does not give a rats ass what they say, the only countrys that seem to care are the Mid-power countrys. I find it rather unforunate that noone cares what the UN says, and noone is wants to give the UN the power to do somthing.

The UN is just like the Student Counsil in schools.
    Sounds like the people at Spacebattles. I have that feeling to.

[url]http://kier.3dfrontier.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71342[/url] - look there [/B][/QUOTE]

a sorry...was easy to misunderstand you.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by A2597 [/i]
    [B]I'm not mad at the UN for Iraq, in a way, I even agree with them. (If grudgingly. ;) )

And, if the UN stayed with JUST peacekeeping, I'd be fine there as well.

But they take every nations troops and put them on peace keeping missions (Mainly the US and British forces)
    they consume mass amounts of money (Mainly US)
    And they stick their noses into other matters of state, not just peacekeeping. [/B][/QUOTE]

guess what, the US is not paying what they should pay. they owe a lot of money to the UN.
  • CnlPepperCnlPepper Earthforce Officer
    Before anyone else makes any silly comments about the UN, go learn what it is and what it does (it does a whole lot more than just preventing war, ever heard of UNICEF? etc...)

[url]http://www.un.org/english/[/url]

in particular the UN charter which each member nation signed up to:

[url]http://www.un.org/aboutun/charter/index.html[/url]

CnlPepper - Educator of men...
  • So Simmonds, should I give a "rat's ass" about what the UN says because it isn't doing a good job of handling the situation on Sudan, or because you're an idiot?
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by CnlPepper [/i]
    [B]Before anyone else makes any silly comments about the UN, go learn what it is and what it does (it does a whole lot more than just preventing war, ever heard of UNICEF? etc...)

[url]http://www.un.org/english/[/url]

in particular the UN charter which each member nation signed up to:

[url]http://www.un.org/aboutun/charter/index.html[/url]

CnlPepper - Educator of men... [/B][/QUOTE]

The problem that many in the US have is that the UN has been embroiled in alot of corruption scandals that are NOT being convered by the media. The food for oil scandles, and UNIFCEF itself has had its African operations severely curtailed because there was alot of chicanry going on in the orignization there.

And for the record Ive read the entire charter, several times, having been involved with "Model United Nations" I know a bit :)
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by MT [/i]
    [B]So Simmonds, should I give a "rat's ass" about what the UN says because it isn't doing a good job of handling the situation on Sudan, or because you're an idiot? [/B][/QUOTE]

I realy dont give a Rats Ass
    [B]I realy dont give a Rats Ass [/B][/QUOTE]

Well that's probably because you don't have a Rat's Ass to give anyway... :p

They're hard to come by...
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by JackN [/i]
    [B]Well that's probably because you don't have a Rat's Ass to give anyway... :p

They're hard to come by... [/B][/QUOTE]
    Maybe in Canada but in NYC we get truck loads :D!
    ... and even harder to catch! :D
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Captain,Simmonds [/i]
    [B]I realy dont give a Rats Ass [/B][/QUOTE]

Judging by your response, you don't give a rat's ass about a lot of important things. Respect for the English language, for example. Logic. Reality.

And yet you still think you're right, don't you? Why is that, Simmonds?
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by MT [/i]
    [B]Judging by your response, you don't give a rat's ass about a lot of important things. Respect for the English language, for example. Logic. Reality.

And yet you still think you're right, don't you? Why is that, Simmonds? [/B][/QUOTE]

You seem to think your Right just as much as me.....

And whats Reality??? Is it that thing that scares the shit out of me??
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Tyvar [/i]
    [B]The problem that many in the US have is that the UN has been embroiled in alot of corruption scandals that are NOT being convered by the media.[/B][/QUOTE]
    Well, not that you don't have those enough yourself.

BTW, happens anyone know what's the situation with Enron-scandal, it has been ceased to death in media... after all, it might make this profit desiring free capitalism look bad.