Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

New Babylon 5 Movie News

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Great news that its moving forward! but i think i'll wait till i hear an official announcement on the casting before getting worked up. tho i will be seriously pissed off if they do ANY recasting!
  • Sigma13Sigma13 Earthforce Officer
    another update by Jan
    [quote]
    Just a quick update. I just finished and IM conversation with one of the actors who partially corroborates what we've heard. S/He said that what s/he heard was the the casting breakdown sheets were for the spin-off characters (Crusade), not the original (B5) actors.

NO recasting is acceptable as long as the original artist is around to play their character.

More as I hear it.

Jan
    [/quote]
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    which basically confirms what i was suspecting.. that the "recasting" rumor came together because the original cast aren't the main characters. Someone probably observed that the "known" B5 actors like Bruce Boxleitner, Jerry Doyle, etc. weren't "starring", so they concluded that the roles must have been recast...
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    That's not quite so bad but I'd still rather have the original Crusade cast, especially for Galen.

Worf
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    That seems a bit more believable, since the Crusade actors never got enough time to establish themselves properly. Still seems suspicious though...

[url]http://forums.firstones.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7523[/url]
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]That seems a bit more believable, since the Crusade actors never got enough time to establish themselves properly. Still seems suspicious though...

[url]http://forums.firstones.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7523[/url] [/B][/QUOTE]

I'll believe it when the great and powerful Oz says its so.
  • Alpha-1Alpha-1 Elite Ranger Germany
    go can check [url]http://jmsnews.com/Forums/showthread.php?threadid=584&perpage=15&pagenumber=1[/url] to get into the matter
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Alpha-1 [/i]
    [B]go can check [url]http://jmsnews.com/Forums/showthread.php?threadid=584&perpage=15&pagenumber=1[/url] to get into the matter [/B][/QUOTE]

i've been following that thread, and again, not a single official word,

I just think its silly to get all worked up about things that might not even be true,

Could it be true? sure, anything's possible, but i see this happen in Baseball trades, in new Shows, in spinoffs all the time, and 99.999999% of the time, its not true.
  • JamboJambo Scriptkiddie
    If it's the crusade characters, I'm all in favour of a recast!
    It's possible they are just recasting a character for whom the actor is unavailable. For example, one of the Crusade actors could be busy running around a desert island at the time of filming. If they wanted to have that character, then that could require either a rewrite to remove him, creative scheduling of filming, or a recast.
  • Could be Galen played by Kevin Spacey :rolleyes:

I too will wait to hear it from the horses mouth. But they can't recast it. That's like having Star Trek without William Shatner etc. I seriuosly doubt that they will do that. Especially seen in the light of the DVD sales.
  • SamsomaelSamsomael Earthforce Officer
    Just read the thread, that was a heart attack in a handbag.

Great to hear that the movie is basically going ahead though.

I think we may be able to be paranoidly optimistic though, regarding past history of B5 projects (ITF particularly).
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Well, several things:

1. Other movies and tv series have had changes in the cast between TV to Movie or Movie to Movie transitions. This usually doesn't damage the story too much.

2. As a B5 fan I would have a big problem with them not having any actors from the series brought into the movie, even if they are in roles only seen occasionally.

3. From what I have read on JMS news and from the rumor mill arround here it seems that some of the key core characters will be people who were in at least 1 of the B5 series. I have a problem with replacing any of the core people (Sheridan, Delen, Garibaldi, G'Kar, Londo). The rest of the characters can change easily without too big an effect. Though Garibaldi can change if they simply remove references to his past and change his name; and G'Kar can be replaced by other Narns and simply not show up - but the other 3 are virtually impossible to change and not change the way the show sits.

WB better not screw things up...
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Random Chaos [/i]
    [B]Well, several things:

2. As a B5 fan I would have a big problem with them not having any actors from the series brought into the movie, even if they are in roles only seen occasionally.

[/B][/QUOTE]

This is my big problem, I honestly don't see the point in a B5 movie, if its not the cast from B5,

This is their first Forray into Feature Films, it should be the ORIG B5 cast, not Crusade, Not LOTR.

If the film is a hit, Many people who were not Exposed to B5 are going to want to watch the series, it'll be a DISASTER if they see this movie, with say the Crusade cast (orig, or recast) then say "hey i wanna watch the series" go back, watch the series and say "Wait, who are these people, where are the people from the movie"

It's a bad analogy i know, but can you imagine if, after Star Trek went off the air, and all the letter writing, and years of syndication, and building a HUGE fanbase in the 70's, if the Star Trek movie had come out. and had the Next Gen cast? the fans would have FLIPPED.

I guess i just personally don't see the point in doing a movie at all without the orig cast.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I disagree 100%

Star Trek had a much larger viewing base than Babylon 5 ever did. Even people who didn't watch one of the incarnations of ST at least had a basic idea of what it was. Very few people would have no clue what the phrase "Beam me up Scotty" means. Also unlike B5, ST characters did not grow or change over time.

Babylon 5 was a 5 year arc. Those who did view Babylon 5 knew each character inside and out and why they acted the way they did. We know why londo and G'Kar became friends despite the fact their two races still want to whipe each other out. If TMoS were to focus on the origonal cast it will be doomed to fail.

Like I said B5 doesn't have enough of a viewing base to make a movie a finantiall sucess like Star Trek. The movie must appeal to the general masses. Either the masses would be clueless as to what is going on or so much screen time will be needed for the backstory that everyone would be put to sleep. By making a general Sci Fi thriller that just so happens to be set in the Babylon 5 universe will give the movie, and the future of Babylon 5, a fighting chance.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by croxis [/i]
    [B]I disagree 100%

Star Trek had a much larger viewing base than Babylon 5 ever did. Even people who didn't watch one of the incarnations of ST at least had a basic idea of what it was.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Not really as much as you'd think, yes, in the late 80's and 90's, but back in the 70's when i'm talking about the viewer base was prolly about as good as b5's.

But perhaps it wasn't as good an analogy as it cold have been
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Taking those comments with a pinch of salt, I wonder if Mira Furlan and Daniel Dai Kim will be tied up with Lost? Dunno what the schedule is for that show and whether they'd have rounded up the 1st eason by April.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    The first season is allready finished. They might be shooting the second season in April though...
    Right. Thats what I'm afraid of. Hmm
    Also Peter Woodward could well be available as the film he's listed as in on IMDB, Closing the Ring, is supposed to be in production but apparently isn't due to changes in the UK tax laws. They've basically closed a few loop holes recently meaning it will cost alot more to film in the UK. Nice way to kill the British film industry!

All speculation anyway.
  • Alpha-1Alpha-1 Elite Ranger Germany
    [quote]From [url]www.filmjerk.com[/url] <[url]http://filmjerk.com/new//modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1130[/url]> comes more information about THE MEMORY OF SHADOWS. The article indicates that JMS (J.Michael Straczynski) had put the project on hold after Richard Bigg's death, but that it is back on track now, and will begin filming in England next April with director Steven Beck.
    The story follows Diane Baker, an Earthforce Intelligence Officer whose brother is killed in an explosion. She teams up with Techno-Mage Galen, previously played by Peter Woodward but whose part is being re-cast, to find the truth behind her brother's death. They discover that dark forces are unleashing ancient Shadow technology--technology that was supposed to be guarded by Galen--and the two uncover a huge conspiracy.
    So far, the only original character participating is Elizabeth Lochley, played by Tracey Scoggins. She is still the commander of Babylon 5. She is friends with Diane. Part of the action takes place on B5, as the station is taken over by Earthforce Marines, including new lead character Colonel Joss Morgan.
    Galen will battle childhood friend and Techno-Mage, Tyrell. Tyrell is sort of a mercenary, with an agenda of his own
    [/quote]
    So there we have it. He's probably busy filming something else at that time.
  • So can Film Jerk be considered official?

I rather liked Woodward's portrayal of Galen.
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Wonder who they will cast as a replacement for Galen.

Hope they have at least a couple cameos of Sheridan, et al.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    no! I loved Peter Woodward. He's my favorite part about Crusade... :(
    Yeah, same here. He played Galen so brilliantly.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Alpha-1 [/i]
    [B] [/B][/QUOTE]

That's what all this hype is over? see this is exactly why i didn't want to get too upset over these rumors.

Yes, I liked Woodward's portrayal of Galen, but if thats all that this recasting nonsense is about, i can live with that.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]Yeah, same here. He played Galen so brilliantly. [/B][/QUOTE]

and has anyone posted this quote over on the jmsnews forums, where the people are still going on about the inside information etc?
  • i just don't know
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    I do [i]not[/i] want to see Galen played by anyone but Peter Woodward. Better to just make it another character if he can't be in it.