Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

New Babylon 5 Movie News

124»

Comments

• Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Well damn it anyway! Sorry I just can't see anybody else playing Galen. Peter Woodward is Galen. This is a real shame. So it certainly looks like that ring film has got him tied up. Curses.
  • am i the only person disappointed in the premise of this?
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by rcmodels [/i]
    [B]am i the only person disappointed in the premise of this? [/B][/QUOTE]
    yes....
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by rcmodels [/i]
    [B]am i the only person disappointed in the premise of this? [/B][/QUOTE]

No. As I said to Sanfam: "But... but... Telepath War!!"
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]No. As I said to Sanfam: "But... but... Telepath War!!" [/B][/QUOTE]

the problem i see with doing the Telepath war, is that it might confuse new viewers, Yes, they could tell the story in a way that it would make sense to people who'd never seen the show, but man, without all that buildup over 5 years, and seeing the story unfold, i don't think that it would work.

not well anyway
  • I tend to agree. I think the Telepath war would do best as either a book or a TV mini-seiries, something that people who didn't watch the show are not going to be as interested in watching.

(I know that souns counte rprodictive to increasing the fan base, but you really would have to have seen the show, especially season 5 to understand the build for the war better.)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Akrovah [/i]
    [B]I tend to agree. I think the Telepath war would do best as either a book or a TV mini-seiries, something that people who didn't watch the show are not going to be as interested in watching.

(I know that souns counte rprodictive to increasing the fan base, but you really would have to have seen the show, especially season 5 to understand the build for the war better.) [/B][/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong, i'm DYING to learn more about the teep war, i haven't read the books, but am planning on it

I just don't think that a movie is the way to do that story
    That's the thing. The Telepath War isn't in the books. JMS has always said he wanted to make a movie about the Telepath War and the books skip right over it, probably for that very reason.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    maybe it could.. be.. a second movie?
    [B]That's the thing. The Telepath War isn't in the books. JMS has always said he wanted to make a movie about the Telepath War and the books skip right over it, probably for that very reason. [/B][/QUOTE]
    Ahh, i thought there was stuff in the books about it, i stand corrected

well sit corrected anyway
    The books deal with the lead up to and fall out from it, but not the actual war.

(Still worth reading, by the way. Really, really good books.)
    [B]The books deal with the lead up to and fall out from it, but not the actual war.

(Still worth reading, by the way. Really, really good books.) [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, i keep meaning to pick them up, but my current "to read" list has me buried in books until, Oh about 2265...
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Entil'Zha [/i]
    [B]and has anyone posted this quote over on the jmsnews forums, where the people are still going on about the inside information etc? [/B][/QUOTE] Entil'Zha, as a simple Captain of WhiteStar #27 I should respectfully report to you that indeed the Rangers have reported this at that forum, and most of us headquartered there have agreed that if Woodward is unavailable a new Galen would be acceptable. The concern that other characters might be recast not because of scheduling conflicts but because of studio suits whims, likely against the Great maker wishes, remains.

(no sarcasm nor disrespect meant, especially since I'm a newbie here, I just found it funny that I took the name of a white star captain and am replying to someone named Entil'Zha and ran away with it for artistic license)

I think it would be sad not seeing Peter Woodward in B5:TMoS (he [i]is[/i] Galen to me) but if it's against his wishes and/or contractual obligations I can live with that. I won't repeat here my rants about why I believe the rumors, which I posted at the B5 forums.

BTW, Like you Entil'Zha I also have an extensive "to read" list, which for good or bad is mostly SF. But I have read the B5 tie in books and found them very good.
  • While the idea of a Babylon 5 big screen movie has been something that we fans have long hoped for,
    I certainly hope all involved in the project have learned their lessons about what it is the Babylon 5
    fans want. Which is to have a *Babylon 5* movie, not something that's sort of like Babylon 5,
    but a continuation of the story we all like so much. Not like Crusade, or, heaven forbid,
    the truly horrible legend of the rangers.

That means all the main Babylon 5 characters all being played by the same actors, and being
    the main central characters of the story, not just in secondary or supporting roles, but the starring
    roles in the movie, just like in the series. If they don't so this, it isn't a Babylon 5 movie. And it
    will suffer greatly at the theater ticket sales and in video sales for it.

And as far as the rumors of recasting, all I can say is that I will not even consider watching the movie
    if Sheridan, Garibaldi, Delenn, Londo, G'Kar, Vir, Bester, etc. are not played by the same people.
    It would simply not be believable at all. It would be like trying to have Kirk or Spock or Bones or
    Scotty played by other people in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. The fans would never accept
    such a thing. And the Babylon 5 fans won't either.
    I still diagree that the movie should center around the cast we know and love for reasons i mentioned in previous posts of mine.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Capt.Montoya [/i]
    [B]
    I think it would be sad not seeing Peter Woodward in B5:TMoS (he [i]is[/i] Galen to me) but if it's against his wishes and/or contractual obligations I can live with that. I won't repeat here my rants about why I believe the rumors, which I posted at the B5 forums.

BTW, Like you Entil'Zha I also have an extensive "to read" list, which for good or bad is mostly SF. But I have read the B5 tie in books and found them very good. [/B][/QUOTE]

I tend to agree that i'd rather see Woodward in the roll and if they can't get him, i don't think it would be too hard to use a different Technomage, i rather liked Woodward's portrayal.

As for the booklist, I just keep getting farther and farther behind, most of it is Sci-Fi/Fantasy , but there are some other things in there as well, a few older Robert Ludlum novels, and the like, and the new Michael Crichton just came out..

I'm never gonna catch up

Oh and of course, i didn't see any disrespect in your post :)
  • Alpha-1Alpha-1 Elite Ranger Germany
    source: [url]http://www.myentertainmentworld.com/mew/audition_newlisting.html[/url]

[quote](UK) - Send pictures & resume ASAP to: Details Are only Available By Subscription.. Title: BABYLON 5: THE MEMORY OF SHADOWS. EXEC PROD, Adam W. Rosen, Doug Netter; PROD, Alain Gottesman, J. Michael Straczynski; DIR, Steven Beck; SCR, J. Michael Straczynski; CSTG, Donald Paul Pemrick, Dean Fronk. Shoot Dates: Early April, 2005 (in UK). Breakdown-- Diane Baker: Late 20s or early 30s. A bright and attractive woman. She's an Earthforce Intelligence Officer in civilian clothes who is reputed to be one of the best agents in the service. When her beloved brother is killed in a mysterious explosion on his spacecraft, Diane sets out to learn what caused the tragedy. She suspects a top-level cover-up - but before she can get to the root of the problem, she is herself accused of conspiracy and murder. Despite the efforts of her friend, Elizabeth Lochley, to shield her, Diane finds herself behind bars, prey to a corrupt official who will stop at nothing to protect his greedy self-interest. But to Diane's amazement, the remarkable Galen, a techno-mage of near-supernatural skill and daring, enlists her help in unraveling the real mystery behind the recent deaths. Their investigation reveals that an ancient technology perfected by the mystic extinct Shadow race is being unleashed upon mankind by some as yet unknown conspirator. Once unleashed, the huge and all powerful shadow vessels could enslave the entire galaxy - unless quick steps are taken to avert calamity. Star Name Only. Lead; Galen: 30-45. A cloaked, mysterious figure. He appears to be human - but there's an intensity about him that bespeaks something supernaturally powerful and enigmatic. Yet there's also something wry and urbane about Galen, a suggestion that he has humor and wicked wit lurking under his inscrutable exterior. A techno-mage - one of an ancient sect that used science to perform apparently miraculous feats - Galen is the guardian left behind by his kind to ensure that the ancient Shadow technology did not fall into the wrong hands. Aghast when he realizes that his long vigilance has been violated, Galen sets out to learn who is behind the Shadow technology that now threatens the galaxy. He teams with the feisty Diane in his investigation and he comes to feel real tenderness for his human ally. A hero and a deeply moral force, Galen stands strong against the forces of corruption that have been unleashed by his own people. Star Name Only. Lead; Colonel Joss Morgan: Late 20s or early 30s. A dashing and handsome officer with the Earthforce Marines, he is the head of a security detachment sent to Babylon 5 to protect a contingent of inter-galactic diplomats who are meeting there. Humorous and daring, Morgan tries to befriend Elizabeth Lochley, the current commander of Babylon 5, but she's a bit prickly about having her jurisdiction violated by his forces. Later, Morgan and his forces prepare to battle the Hunter Killers unleashed by the evil Tyrell - a virtual suicide mission that they face with gallantry, bravery and resolve. Star Name Only. Lead; Tyrell: 35-45. Dark, enigmatic, striking and chilling, he is another techno-mage, Galen's old childhood rival, who supposedly departed for a distant sector of the galaxy years ago. Yet Tyrell has been secretly infiltrating the area, developing the ancient shadow technology and putting it on sale to the highest bidder. A deadly adversary of supernatural skill and power, he is not a rogue, as initially suspected. In fact, he is actually carrying out a mandate of his own kind. When Galen resists the corruption and madness, Tyrell prepares to battle him to the death. Star Name Only. Lead. (Posted: December 13, 2004) [/quote]
    *cough* paragraph that please! */cough*
  • I do no remember clearly, was Tyrell in the technomage books? The name is familiar but I can not put a finger on where I have heard it in B5. (I instantly think of the Tyrell corporation from Blade Runner.)
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    [B]I do no remember clearly, was Tyrell in the technomage books? The name is familiar but I can not put a finger on where I have heard it in B5. (I instantly think of the Tyrell corporation from Blade Runner.) [/B][/QUOTE]

My guess is that he was in the books, I just cant remember at the moment... Been a while since I read trhough them.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    I'm pretty sure he [i]wasn't[/i] in the books.

This casting call sure looks real enough; I note that it lists no known characters for casting other than Galen.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [B]I do no remember clearly, was Tyrell in the technomage books? The name is familiar but I can not put a finger on where I have heard it in B5. (I instantly think of the Tyrell corporation from Blade Runner.) [/B][/QUOTE]

The evil Centauri demi-mage in the books had a "T" name, I think. Spoiler: But it can't be him, because I seem to recall Galen crushing him into nothingness after the fan-headed bastard pissed him off a just little too much.
  • Yes, I remeber him. His name was Tilar if IRC.

Now that I think about it, I think Bekenn is right and he is not in the books. Which doesnt make much sence if he was a childhood nemesis of Galen's you think he would have been at least mentioned.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    Indeed. Even the Mages from the Centauri Prime books got a couple of lines.
  • Ahh at last my Walkabout can end at it will be Cristmas afterall :D