Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

WTF? Is this even DOOM anymore?

[url]http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20044[/url]

[quote]The changes? Well, Doom won't be set on Mars. The monsters have nothing to do with Hell. Space marines are SWAT teams. The monsters will, apparently, be people mututated by a secret virus.

Gosh, how original. Have they seen Resident Evil? [/quote]

God i hope this is wrong. They would be completely throwing out some of the most basic fundementals of DOOM.

Comments

• BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I thought exactly the same thing when I heard about that. True, DOOM isn't much, but what little it is has been thrown out the window.
  • Yea...and then theres teh D3 expansion.

featuring:

"Hell time" - AKA Bullet time
    the "grabber" - AKA the Grav gun

All thats missing is a hawian shirt....
  • A# Please tell me your joking.
  • nope, both those are confirmed in the expansion.
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    I guess blatent plagerism isnt against the rules in the game industry? although I guess there is quite a difference between writing and game design, but still...
  • well, how is it plagerism?

The shot gun and rocket launcher appear in almost every FPS out there.

Bullet time has been done in many games

the grav gun may well become like the shot gun and rocket launcher...

however, neither of them belong in Doom3....it just doesn't work.
  • I forget who said it originally, but it's hard to call the use of Bullet Time "plagiarism" when it's being used in Lithuanian music videos.

Also, A#, can I get a source for that?
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    WEll maybe plagerism is too harsh a word, but the grav gun doesnt really fit in the Doom universe and it seems kinda stupid to just take it "just to have it".
  • NovaCameronNovaCameron Earthforce Officer
    bah unimagitive programers.
  • sure thing exile.

NVnews had the info:
    [url]http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41984[/url]

scans from the magazine in which it was posted
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Nothing nwill EVER compare to Drunk Missiles in Rise of the Triad...

:p

I miss that game...

:)
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    seen the Drunken Dims in Tron 2.0? Neat weapons :)
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    In the "small world" category, my current employer's brother-in-law wrote the Doom screenplay. I have no information beyond that, though.

I tend to agree with the comments here, namely, "wtf?"

-R.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by JackN [/i]
    [B]Nothing nwill EVER compare to Drunk Missiles in Rise of the Triad...

:p

I miss that game...

:) [/B][/QUOTE]

LOL...I remember those. Try shooting drunk missiles drunk, Jack ;)

Funny thing is that ROTT was originally going to be "Wolfenstein 2" Somehow, that got scrapped, and the maps were re-used under the guise of being movie sets in the plot.

Talk about seat-of-the-pants media salvaging ;)

-R.
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rick [/i]
    [B]LOL...I remember those. Try shooting drunk missiles drunk, Jack ;)

Funny thing is that ROTT was originally going to be "Wolfenstein 2" Somehow, that got scrapped, and the maps were re-used under the guise of being movie sets in the plot.

Talk about seat-of-the-pants media salvaging ;)

-R. [/B][/QUOTE]

nice game :)
    [url]http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=28042[/url]

"new twists"? Surely, he means "recycled twists from other movies and games"?
  • [QUOTE]But it should be mentioned that it was never the goal of anyone involved in this film, from myself and the producers to the studio to the guys at id, to make a direct film adaptation of the game(s). [/QUOTE]

Niether was Wing Commander, look what happened.

[QUOTE]I am, without a doubt, the greatest ally the Doom fan has had during the entire process of the film being made. [/QUOTE]

So am I to understand that John Carmack and Todd Hollenshed are okay with Hollywood turinging thier IP into someone else's (like Capcom's)

[quote]No film adaptation can ever match the expectations of the original fans, and the Doom movie will be no different. [/quote]

Granted, but it could at least stick with Mars and Demons.

So far he hasn't said anything that encourages me to be happy about the film. He didn't deny any of the changes, whch I'm sure he's under an NDA, but if it wasn't true I would think he would at least be able to say, no thats not true.
  • Vertigo1Vertigo1 Official Fuzzy Dice of FirstOnes.com
    This folks, is why the movie industry should [b]never[/b] go near the gaming industry. Any movie based on a game, or game based off of a movie is doomed to suckage.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    I actually disagree on that score; I believe very strongly that [i]Wing Commander[/i] could [i]and should[/i] have been an enjoyable movie. There's no excuse for what happened there.
  • And Resident Evil I felt was a very good movie, considering it was based on a game. I esspecially liked how it tied into the overall story rather than trying to re-tell the same one.
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bekenn [/i]
    [B]I actually disagree on that score; I believe very strongly that [i]Wing Commander[/i] could [i]and should[/i] have been an enjoyable movie. There's no excuse for what happened there. [/B][/QUOTE]

Agreed. When the movie sequences from Games 3, 4 and 5 were better than the actual movie, you knw you have a problem.
  • Yeah i know... i was so hiped up about the Wing Commander Movie.. but after i watched it.. i think that it would have done better if it had just gone a little bit further and not gone with the WC franchise.. becuse basicly the only thing that was the same was the charecters and the two fighting races.. haha so dumb i cant understand how a director cant realize that his movie has nothing to do with the story that he/she is basing it on...
  • An ex-SquidAn ex-Squid Elite Ranger
    The main reason why the Wing Commander movie turned out that way was because Electronic Arts wouldn't let Chris Roberts use any (or almost any) copyrighted material from the WC games in the movie (he and EA had a major argument over the making of WC IV which led to his leaving Origin altoghether; EA didn't like the "interactive movie" approach that Mr. Roberts was leaning towards or the amount of money that was going into such productions). Trying to make a movie with restrictions like that would be a major challenge for [I]any[/I] producer/director; imagine trying to make [I]Tora! Tora! Tora![/I] without being able to use authentic ships or aircraft (or models of same or ships/aircraft which have been modified to resemble the actual ships/aircraft used at the time) or to film at the actual locations. Given that, it's hardly surprising that the movie fared so badly at the box office.
    Oh, there's a bigger story than that...Remember that WC:The Movie was actually made during the days Digital Anvil was owned by MS...

-R.
  • An ex-SquidAn ex-Squid Elite Ranger
    Perhaps I should've said "one of the main reasons"; having Microsoft in the picture (no pun intended) certainly didn't help either (they did screw things up a fair bit, IIRC).
  • Hmm well thats interesting... didnt know that... oh well atleast there is a reason.. i just thought that the director was on crack or somthing :p
  • I though it might have been something like that. As for the director being on crack, well the director WAS Chris Roberts. The creator of the series and director of the first four games, so I don't think it was a case of intentionaly changing so much of the movie.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by An ex-Squid [/i]
    [B]Perhaps I should've said "one of the main reasons"; having Microsoft in the picture (no pun intended) certainly didn't help either (they did screw things up a fair bit, IIRC). [/B][/QUOTE]

What exactly did they do?
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    I really don't think MS had much of anything to do with it. MS [i]didn't[/i] own Digital Anvil; that was Chris Roberts's company in full. MS was merely their exclusive publisher at that time, and provided lots of funding game-side. MS had absolutely nothing to do with the movie.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bekenn [/i]
    [B]MS had absolutely nothing to do with the movie. [/B][/QUOTE]

Hmmn. Think creatively. You'll get there :)

. . . . :::chimes:::.. . . . .

:vorlon: