Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

WTF? Is this even DOOM anymore?

2»

Comments

• BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    You know something I don't?

You very well might; for the fun of it, let's assume you do:

At the time of the WC movie, MS has an exclusive publishing deal with Digital Anvil. That means that most (probably around half) of the funding for making games would come from MS, and MS could potentially use strong-arm tactics (such as blocking funding, cancelling titles in production, etc.) to get their way in various matters. (All of which brings to light the reasons I hope Steam becomes very, very successful.)

So:

Flow of money:
    MS -> Digital Anvil for games
    Fox -> Digital Anvil for WC movie

[code]
    if(WCMovie.Success)
    {
    Fox.Coffers += profits * 0.9;
    DA.Coffers += profits * 0.1;
    }
    [/code]

I can certainly see why Fox would want to screw around here....

Let's dig deeper:

[code]
    if(!WCMovie.Success)
    {
    EA.Origin.WCSeries.Projections = NOT_GOOD;
    EA.Origin.WCSeries.Cancel(true);
    --MS.Competition;
    }
    [/code]

...Ah. I see. You think they wanted it to do poorly.

Am I getting it?
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bekenn [/i]
    [B]You know something I don't?
    [/b][/quote]

yesss....

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bekenn [/i]
    [B]Am I getting it?[/B][/QUOTE]

Close. Think about that timeline again, and about when CR left DA. Then ask, "Why would he do that?"
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by JackN [/i]
    [B]Nothing nwill EVER compare to Drunk Missiles in Rise of the Triad...

:p

I miss that game...

:) [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh damn! That was an awesome game :cool: I had completely forgotten about that. Now I'm going to have to get home and try to find it and fire it up just for the hell of it :D
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rick [/i]
    [B]Close. Think about that timeline again, and about when CR left DA. Then ask, "Why would he do that?" [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, let's see... he left Origin after WC4 because he was sick and tired of the interference they kept getting from the parent company, EA. If he saw something like that happening with DA, he'd leave in a heartbeat. It [i]was[/i] pretty soon after the release of the WC movie, I think... can't remember for sure... and from there he went on to found Hard Light Productions, got involved with [i]The Punisher[/i], and is doing who knows what now.

I can see why he would be annoyed at having to stick to MS's schedule for games creation and such -- ah. Game schedules may have been fairly tight during filming, which would force him to split his attention between the movie and Starlancer/Freelancer. MS might understandably want DA to focus on games instead of movies and insist on tighter production schedules, which could indirectly affect the quality of the movie.

How close am I now?