Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

New Years Eve

Sooo... ever since forever I've wanted to go to Times Square in NYC on New Years Eve and watch the ball drop and this year since I am living here now I've made the appropriate plans to do it.

Problem is... I have no one to go with... is anyone going to be in the area?

Comments

• SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I suspect the inevitable followup response will be something along the lines of "Anybody free and in the area who is not CableGuy?"
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    *nods*

Especially when I mention kissing..
  • ohhhhh kissing... :indygrin:
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    Well, I could fly there for the weekend I guess?

hehe.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    I lived in NYC for 6 years, and had planned to go to Times Square the first year i was there, and then again in 2000, however, every new yorker i met, told me that Times square on NYE is for tourists, and that real smart New Yorkers do everything they can to stay away from it.

They say its a lot like having sex with the person that youv'e been in love with for years, waiting, hoping, years of anticipation, followed by 30 seconds of pleasure. then just a dull dejected feeling as you go home.

lol
  • Also it is even more difficult to get toward the core of TS since its fenced off and guarded till you hit around 60th st then ya gotta walk back down to 42 in a sea of people. If you wanna go go early extra early like Im gonna wait online to buy a WII early.
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    Well I've heard similar warnings from others I've talked to here and they are all true but I can't judge until I've actually done it. I am going to go super early, I am very familar with the area as I travel through it 3 times a week for class. I know exactly where the ball is going to drop too (there is a sign there :P)... I know a couple good pubs near there, I'll prob just plant myself in one of them for dinner and then just stay until like 11pm or so.
  • ArethusaArethusa Universal Cathode
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Entil'Zha [/i]
    [B]I lived in NYC for 6 years, and had planned to go to Times Square the first year i was there, and then again in 2000, however, every new yorker i met, told me that Times square on NYE is for tourists, and that real smart New Yorkers do everything they can to stay away from it.

They say its a lot like having sex with the person that youv'e been in love with for years, waiting, hoping, years of anticipation, followed by 30 seconds of pleasure. then just a dull dejected feeling as you go home.

lol [/B][/QUOTE]
    Hadn't heard it described [i]quite[/i] like that, but that is basically what I've heard and what it's looked like to me. I've never really had an interest in the holiday or the Times Square thing, and dealing with the crowds has never looked like a whole lot of fun either. I'd suggest just staying away and finding someone/some friends to hang with. Then again, you are talking to a guy who skipped his prom, so I do tend to do this.
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    ahh and this is how we differ, you skipped your prom and I went to about a dozen over my 4 high school years! I love getting dressed up and going places! I am pretty outgoing when I want to be.

And well I am doing it regardless if I have to stand there cold and alone but I'd rather have someone to share it with.

*sigh* New Years has always been a mixed bag for me... I usually attend a good party at my best friend's house but in the 3 years I dated one guy, every year he was either a) worried about kissing me in front of our friends and/or b) too drunk/puking in the bathroom when midnight came around .. let's just say I wasn't pleased.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    im probably gonna go down to edinburgh to see some of my mates. there is no way im going to stay up in aberdeen for new years. it sucks being in the arse end of nowhere
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dax [/i]
    [B]ahh and this is how we differ, you skipped your prom and I went to about a dozen over my 4 high school years! I love getting dressed up and going places! I am pretty outgoing when I want to be.

And well I am doing it regardless if I have to stand there cold and alone but I'd rather have someone to share it with.

*sigh* New Years has always been a mixed bag for me... I usually attend a good party at my best friend's house but in the 3 years I dated one guy, every year he was either a) worried about kissing me in front of our friends and/or b) too drunk/puking in the bathroom when midnight came around .. let's just say I wasn't pleased. [/B][/QUOTE] Oh don't worry Dax I have no inhibitions about kissing public or anything else for that matter. Who cares about the cold ehh when ya got your lovers heart to keep ya on fiyah.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Arethusa:

Me thinks you'd rather watch the worst episode of BSG than go to Time Square on New Years eve?

:D

;)
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    *is possibly regreting starting this thread*
  • Don't worry Dax I can't even afford to make it to the city. Much less eat there.

-$11 on the card w00t w00t!
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Arethusa [/i]
    [B]Then again, you are talking to a guy who skipped his prom, so I do tend to do this. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm with you on that one! I skipped my school ball completely. :)
    Long live the Promskippers Union!
  • I was actually banned from my prom.
  • Space GhostSpace Ghost Elite Ranger
    I skipped the prom my junior year and regretted it. So then I actually went to the prom my senior year... and regretted it. :(
    I skipped all but the senior banquet, and hoo man, was that event a load of crap. We actually bailed out on a full catered dinner and dance half-way through to make a McDonald's run in torrential rains because the food and music was just that bad.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I skipped out on my prom too. I still don't regret it.
    I'd rather go to a good party and hang out with friends, rather than deal with all the crazy people.

and from what i've heard, you might want to head out a little earlier than dinner time to claim your spot, most people i know who get good spots are there around breakfast time... on the 30th.
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    oh.. well I don't get back to NYC from NS until the afternoon of the 30th (this is weather permitting as well) ... and I don't have to be right next to the ball drop point, I just want to see it.. Times Square is pretty big.

And to me, that's what prom was, a good party with friends. I find it very interesting that these two subjects have been combined.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    heh, i got totally muntered at my prom :D had a great time!
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dax [/i]
    [B]oh.. well I don't get back to NYC from NS until the afternoon of the 30th (this is weather permitting as well) ... and I don't have to be right next to the ball drop point, I just want to see it.. Times Square is pretty big.

And to me, that's what prom was, a good party with friends. I find it very interesting that these two subjects have been combined. [/B][/QUOTE]

Lemmie know how it turns out, and while you're there, go to a deli, get a tongue on rye (with mustard) and overnight it to me!
  • DaxDax Redshirt
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Entil'Zha [/i]
    [B]Lemmie know how it turns out, and while you're there, go to a deli, get a tongue on rye (with mustard) and overnight it to me! [/B][/QUOTE]

haha why don't you just visit for yourself? I have an extra space here until Jan..
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Entil'Zha [/i]
    [B]I'd rather go to a good party and hang out with friends, rather than deal with all the crazy people.
    [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey now just cause we are crazy doesn't mean we don't know how to have fun. Alot of us crazies are very creative, intelligent, artistic, vibrant people. Yes we have our issues but thats only because we are so fantastically unique. I mean look at Warleader hes pretty functional I'd say.
  • Its sorta over rated, can be very cold and no where to tinkle. That is the worst part. Then the rush to get out afterwards is crazy. But you have to do it at least once if you can.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dax [/i]
    [B]haha why don't you just visit for yourself? I have an extra space here until Jan.. [/B][/QUOTE]

i will be there, in early january, but i was having a craving tonight!
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by The Cabl3 Guy [/i]
    [B]Hey now just cause we are crazy doesn't mean we don't know how to have fun. Alot of us crazies are very creative, intelligent, artistic, vibrant people. Yes we have our issues but thats only because we are so fantastically unique. I mean look at Warleader hes pretty functional I'd say. [/B][/QUOTE]

I was talkin a differnet kind of crazy :)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by PSI-KILLER [/i]
    [B]no where to tinkle. [/B][/QUOTE]

Isn't that what the stairs to the 42nd street subway station are for?