Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

New Babylon 5 Movie News

Comments

• Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RubberEagle [/i]
    [B]My bet is on Spring 2006, if they start shooting in April. They'll probably be finished with the shoot June/July, and that leaves plenty of time for post production. (It might be even possible that they'll be releasing it on the same day that TG first premiered, though I don't think that WB(movie division) would go for that..) [/B][/QUOTE]

cant wait.....want to see now...must get time machine...
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mundane [/i]
    [B]Did you see what I saw?

The Hunt for Red October (1990) (visual effects art director: ILM)
    The Abyss (1989) (effects art director: ILM)

ILM = Industry Light & Magic?

Sounds interesting :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, ILM is impressive, but those are visual effects credits, not directorship of a whole film. I was reffering to his directing credits.

Edit: due to the fact that the effects house responsible for the show no longer exists, who do you think they witt get for the special effects? I'm personally hoping for ILM or the guys from LOTR (weta?)
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Akrovah [/i]
    [B]I'm personally hoping for ILM or the guys from LOTR (weta?) [/B][/QUOTE]

Those are actually the two Effects houses that they were negotiating with a few months back...
  • Absolutely great news!
  • Dances around the office! :D Woooot!
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Akrovah [/i]
    [B]Yes, ILM is impressive, but those are visual effects credits, not directorship of a whole film. I was reffering to his directing credits.

Edit: due to the fact that the effects house responsible for the show no longer exists, who do you think they witt get for the special effects? I'm personally hoping for ILM or the guys from LOTR (weta?) [/B][/QUOTE]

go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta, go weta,
  • Its been sooo long to hear good news. Would they really release plot info soo early? That might be a cover story. But anyway

[SIZE=4]WOOOOOPY![/SIZE]
  • NovaCameronNovaCameron Earthforce Officer
    YAY! more death! shall wait till it comes out and it shall do as good as it does. :shadow1:
  • :D :D :D :D :D :D :p
  • AggamemnonAggamemnon Earthforce Officer
    Excellent, news but I was hoping that the flim would tell the story of Sinclair after he went into the past as Valen.
  • Sigma13Sigma13 Earthforce Officer
    Bad news from JMSNews board:
    [url]http://jmsnews.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=584&perpage=15&pagenumber=1[/url]
    Source1:
    [quote]
    Suddenly I'm hearing rumors from people that there's trouble with your new movie.

A friend of mine told me that Warner's getting cold feet because they only want Blockbuster hits with big stars. Isn't Babylon 5 successful enough? I know you said the DVDs sold really well. Just because it's a TV show doesn't mean it won't be a hit. Are they talking to other studios? Anyways, my friend told me that the money folks are looking for movie stars to take the place of Bruce and Mira and the rest because they think nobody'll come see TV actors. That's dumb. He says that you don't want to change the actors and that's what's holding everything up. I'm glad to hear that but now there's the news about you filming in April. Does that mean everything's okay now? I don't think I want to see it without the stars I already know.
    [/quote]
    And source2 (colonyearth who works in TV biz)
    [quote]
    Well, I've also done some checking people and here's the word from an insider!

According to my source, this is a problem folks!

WB has suddenly in the eleventh hour decided that TMoS isn't high-profile enough since it's roots are in TV. The financiers are, according to my source, looking for big named actors over JMS's objections because they don't think fans will come out to see TV actors in a big screen film. JMS is supposedly battling on their behalf, but my source tells me that things are coming down to the wire and that a decision will have to come soon...either replace the cast with big stars in the same roles or not.

Supposedly WB is also not considering it to be big enough and are in negotiations with other studios to distribute it.

My source tells me, they're sending out casting notices on main cast...word is to prove no firestorm will come from the fanbase if this gets out and thus shut JMS up.

This means we need to make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN a shitstorm from HELL rises from the fans!

The word I'm getting is that it's turned into a battle of wills between the financiers/WB and JMS and that they think they're going to prove JMS wrong and win that way.

They think the fans and JMS will balk and let them have their way, since they think the fans don't care.

[/quote]
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    omfg things are getting worse and worse. first jms commentary being edited and now this?
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sigma13 [/i]
    [B]since they think the fans don't care. [/B][/QUOTE]

Uhhhhhh.

Sorry, no. If this happens I may seriously consider not seeing the film.

I mean, come on. Star Trek used the actors form the shows and the majority of those movies did fairly well.

That damned Lizzle Maggurie Movie still had Hilary Duff.

Cowboy Bebop had the same voice actors. The thought of not using them caused massive fan outrage, and that probably has a smaller fan base thatn B5. What would make WB think that fans wouldn't care?

I mean to even think that fans of the show will not want to see the TV actors in a movie BASED ON THE SHOW!!! demonstraits absolutly no common sence what-so-ever and borders on a lack of fully formed cognitave reasoning. It is so preposterous a notion that I really think this may be a false report.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    If they recast even a single character, there would be no way in hell I'd go to see it.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Biggles [/i]
    [B]If they recast even a single character, there would be no way in hell I'd go to see it. [/B][/QUOTE]

I was about to say that. Let's spread the word.

Worf
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    I agree with Akrovah; I simply don't believe a word of this report.
    I am hoping that it is just a nasty rumor but seeing how B5 has been treated in the past means if it's true I wouldn't be surprised.

If it is true then I hope that JMS will pull the plug on the project rather than let it get ruined (even though that will probably mean the death of B5).

Just to be clear, I have no problem with new characters being introduced.

Worf
  • Yes, new characters are fine, but recasting of old characters is not(unless an unfourtunate death happens. I'm okay with that but am also pleased to see that JMS will still go through great lengths to avoid it.)
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    Franklin may have to be recast because of obvious reasons, but other then that they better not fucking do it!

From my reading of the synopsis it looks like the movie will be headed by a new girl character, why not cast a big name there?
    I also think the report is a tad suspicious, especially as WB is aware of how popular B5 is from the DVD sales. But despite that, if they're trying to get a big hit movie out of it they could try and screw with things. Remember, these are studio executives we're dealing with here, they're not the best of the bunch. :)
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rogue Trader [/i]
    [B]Franklin may have to be recast because of obvious reasons, but other then that they better not fucking do it![/B][/QUOTE]

jms has already said he won't recast Franklin many times.
    I think JMS relised the mistake of recasting Natoth after the original actress couldn't play the part anymore.

Worf
  • Yea, that second actress really did not do the part justice. I liked Natoth in season 1.
    The new B5 cast as discussed on irc with a a friend of mine (before anyone has a heart attack, this is a joke).

[Matty] "Brad Pitt as Londo Mollari"
    [Matty] :P
    [Darth_Angelus] vin diesel as sheridan
    [Darth_Angelus] eliza duskhu as delenn
    [Matty] matt damon as garibaldi
    [Darth_Angelus] hayden christensen as g'kar
    [Matty] bruce willis as lorien
    [Matty] catherine zeta jones as ivanova
    [Darth_Angelus] ahmed best as kosh
    [Matty] samuel l jackson as morden
    [Darth_Angelus] uma thurman as talia
    [Matty] oprah winfrey as lita alexander
    [Darth_Angelus] arnold schwarzenegger as sinclair

Worf
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    They better not recast anyone... That would be some bullshit... If they do, I really hope that JMS pulls the project. There is only one sheridan.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    Well, i'm only gonna believe this if it comes straight from the horses mouth...

Currently it looks too much like overreacting/anti-b5-bullshit...
    funny that this rumors only came up when the newsposts about TMoS on Coming Soon etc. were made...
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by RubberEagle [/i]
    [B]Well, i'm only gonna believe this if it comes straight from the horses mouth...

Currently it looks too much like overreacting/anti-b5-bullshit...
    funny that this rumors only came up when the newsposts about TMoS on Coming Soon etc. were made... [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah lets all believe some random fanboy's "source" Sorry, i don't buy it.
    What Really HappenedTM:

Exec 1: OK, so has anyone considered if we should recast some of these characters to attract more people?
    Exec 2: I doubt we would get that past Straczynski easily.
    Exec 3: I think the number of extra people attracted would be more than offset by the number of fans who would refuse to go and see it because their favorite characters have been recast.
    Exec 4: Not to mention that we'd be villified instantly beyond forgiveness.
    Exec 1: Agreed. No recasting.
    Exec 5 (who secretly hates B5 because it's more popular than his show): [i]Excellent... I can use this to cast doubt over it by saying they considered recasting some characters![/i]
  • Sigma13Sigma13 Earthforce Officer
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Entil'Zha [/i]
    [B]Yeah lets all believe some random fanboy's "source" Sorry, i don't buy it. [/B][/QUOTE]
    I would call it more than "random" fanboys rumours. So far it's coming from 4 sources and 3 of them are Jan's, Aisling's and colonyearth's industry contacts.
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sigma13 [/i]
    [B]I would call it more than "random" fanboys rumours. So far it's coming from 4 sources and 3 of them are Jan's, Aisling's and colonyearth's industry contacts. [/B][/QUOTE]

And i believe some random "industry contact" as far as i can throw them.

this is no different than the rumors that spread in sports when someones "contact" says whats going to happen, 9 times out of 10, its total bull.

and don't you think this information would have surfaced before now? as they would have the cast in mind well before announcing the filming date.

Sorry, but until there is an official announcemnet from WB or JMS, its still all Fanboy nonsense to me.