Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Caprica

Comments

• WORFWORF The Burninator
    What's wrong with talking about the cast members? I mentioned the BSG cast that showed up because I was curious if anyone else spotted them.

Also, it we have been talking about the story, it just seems to have gone over your head.

Worf
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    On this page? I think not.

BSG set the standard too high, the only way to go now is down.

But don't let that stop you from watching. I mean, what else is there to watch?
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    To my shame I've not actually started watching Caprica yet, tho I have all of them so far. I think I'll wait for a couple more then watch them all together.

Anyway, I just had to come in here and share [URL="http://scifiwire.com/2010/02/capricas-alessandra-torre.php"]this[/URL] :D Hubba hubba! :p
    Well, she doesn't look anything like that in [I]Caprica[/I]... so my advice would be to skip the show, if you want to keep that image of her. :D
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Thats ok, I think she's cute in Caprica too ;)
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    [QUOTE=Stingray;186686]I tell you, it doesn't bode well for a show if we talk about the cast members and not about the story. It's just not compelling enough at this point. It's just dragging on and on. That weird teacher, those inadequate kids, those frustrated billionaire parents. I just don't feel any connection, I can't relate to them. [/QUOTE]

Given that we're only three episodes in, I don't really see how this is particularly bad. Hell, Season 1 of Babylon 5 barely even had so much as a metaphorical tumbleweed of plot at this point in the show. I feel that Firefly set the bar very high for show pacing and consistency. Unfortunately, doing so required the talents of a spectacular cast and crew all working synchronously to make it happen. Few other shows can match this anymore, so everything feels "slow" by comparison. Give it at least ten episodes.

[QUOTE=Stingray;186690]But don't let that stop you from watching. I mean, what else is there to watch?[/QUOTE]

Defying Gravity (Cancelled, but still very good and well worth a watch), V (Assuming it doesn't die abruptly), FlashForward (presuming it doesn't die a development-hell death), Warehouse 13 (Which was good), Eureka (soon!), Stargate: Universe (Sooner!), Fringe, and quite possibly a few other doodads floating around. There's a few things, some of which are entertaining. Sooner or later, another good show will come along and make things happy again.
    SGU, NCIS, QI, Caprica (when I get around to watching) and Chuck make up all my regular TV viewing these days
    I forgot to mention Chuck. I have a love-hate relationship with it. I love the parts where it gets really character-strong and pulls some awesome new bits together. I hate the part where its characters fail to remember lessons learned.
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    [QUOTE=Stingray;186588]I just watched episode 2 of Caprica and I have a bad feeling about where this show is heading. The production values are ok, as long as you see the Cylon model, but the avatar explanation comes across as a cheap way out to save money on 3D rendering time.

Anyway, it's too late now, the 12 episodes have been produced a long time ago. All we can do now is watch this train wreck happening in slow motion.

I seriously doubt this show is going to get extended. At least I haven't heard anything along those lines. Oh, well.[/QUOTE]
    First seasons are always train wrecks. Don't write it off yet.

-R.
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    [QUOTE=Stingray;186588]I just watched episode 2 of Caprica and I have a bad feeling about where this show is heading. The production values are ok, as long as you see the Cylon model, but the avatar explanation comes across as a cheap way out to save money on 3D rendering time.

Anyway, it's too late now, the 12 episodes have been produced a long time ago. All we can do now is watch this train wreck happening in slow motion.

I seriously doubt this show is going to get extended. At least I haven't heard anything along those lines. Oh, well.[/QUOTE]

First seasons are always train wrecks. Don't write it off yet.

-R.
    Maybe, even though LOST did a fairly good job. :)
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Lost postponed its train wreck until the second season.
    :D
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    BSG's first season was anything but a train wreck.
    Episode 4, is basically showing us a regular day on Caprica, how exciting. Anybody figure out Granny Adama's chicken recipe? :D
    Episode 5, is quite special in and of itself, as it tries to play with all the artistic strings inside the virtual version of Caprica. Finally things are starting to pick up a little. :csmile:
    It was an excellent episode. Might have to rewatch before the next one.
  • I hate shows where nothing seems to happen. This is fine for villain of the week shows (Chuck, NCIS), but this is a Ron Moore show. We know better. So I'm enjoying it, but the pace is annoying.
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    Currently bored while watching this...hope it gets better.
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Haven't been on the forum for a while so here's my bit... Its started slow alright. Some bits I like, others not so much. Intro credits are very poor imo, doesn't sell the show well at all. The characters are developing slowly but nicely. I suppose given they are starting at the beginning RDM feels he needs to explain things a bit more given that most of the audience will be former BSG viewers.

On thing that struck me though is how a couple of misunderstanding will eventually lead to the destruction of the colonies.
    Actually one thing I did like a lot was Greystones black Mk2 Jaguar. Very nice car. I assume its the 3.8 or might even be an S-Type (need to look again to check). Cool car though. I got quite excited when I saw it as I have the Daimler version of that car :D
    I'm continuing to like the show, although I find Clarice to be the least enjoyable character.

Speaking of cars, both Adama's have cars that were used in Buffy.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    it just occurred to me watching the last episode, that zoe created resurrection.

I dont know why I didn't pick up on that before.
  • I don't know if I can stick with it. I'll give it a few more episodes, but it is not really holding my interest, I'm afraid.
    [QUOTE=WORF;187280]I find Clarice to be the least enjoyable character.[/QUOTE]

I see what you mean, often evil characters are quite likeable, but Clarice is an evil and not very sympathetic character.

Episode 6 is mainly about corporate politics... not sure that's something that exciting, but it did put a new character on the scene. [SP] I suppose Daniel Greystone could be tempted to have the mob take care of Tomas Vergis as well. Accidents do happen. A slippery slope.[/SP] ;)

After last week's great fifth episode, this one's another dip below the water line by comparison. While there is an increase in tension, it's not really helping the show. I was afraid this show would have too much teeny stuff in it... well, we are six episodes in, and the "kids" do get quite a bit of screen time.
    It's fine if kids have screen time so long as they do something productive with it, as with the episode prior this one. It's a shame that this quality of storytelling isn't the norm, but we'll see where things go.

I'm also glad that, in this latest episode, [sp=1x06]the Zoe avatar was recognized immediately as being who she was. I would have been very upset had the guy been too dumb to see through a pair of flat glasses and a hat.[/sp]
    Agreed, I was wondering how they would handle that.

I don't mind the "kids" since they're actually serving a purpose in the storyline and I don't really find them irritating.
    I wondered how long before we saw Viper MK 1's.

This was another excellent episode and for the first time with the series, I want the next episode now :)
    I dunno if I'm 100% convinced by the show at the moment. I'm watching it but right now I'm enjoying Fringe and Lost a lot more. Ok not a real fair comparison as they've had much more time to develop the characters etc. I'll give it more time and will watch until the end of this season but they do need to move it on a bit.

See they've recycled another actor from BSG... Vergis was the Pegasus CAG.
  • The last episode may have just turned me off of the show.

Spoiler: I'm just not digging the direction of Graystone and Zoe's relationship at all. The way he is treating her to try to get her to talk, the fact that she practically wants to kill him. Okay, that's the way you want to instill the Cylon's hatred of humans; fine. But I don't like it. It makes me dislike two of the main characters to the point that I don't really want to watch and see where they go next.