Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

And so the end begins (Galactica) (S4.5 Spoilers through current episode)

Comments

• StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    All hands, brace for impact!! Messiah has just quoted himself!! :D
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    Of course now I can't get All Along the Watchtower out of my head....

Jake
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    That means you're a Cylon.

Worf
    Hrm, if only...

BTW, does anyone know what version of that song most sounds like what's woven into the soundtrack, not including the Hendrix version at the end? I've heard it in a couple youtube videos, but they didn't attribute it to anyone.

Jake
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    It's on the [url=http://www.lalalandrecords.com/BattlestarGalacticaS3.html]season 3 soundtrack.[/url]
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    I liked the idea of colonial/cylon DNA being introduced to the planet at some distant point in our past, because it makes for a great explanation as to why all of a sudden primates had an "instant" jump in cognitive abilities during the time line of our history. Technically, "Aliens" did come down from the heavens and mess with our blood lines. :)

As for the robots at the end of the show, it was an obvious poke at how we tend to create things in our image, like we were created in someone elses image. ;)

It was an interesting challenge to chose to start with a clean slate and send off all their ships into the sun. I wasn't happy with it, but then it would be necessary to do something like this if you wish to shed the Sardine Can existence in the fleet for all those years across the galaxy and start fresh on a new planet.

In the end, if you follow this through to our present day, they did retain their knowledge and pass it down through history in regards to engineering, math, stories of the "gods", stories of the constellations, etc.

I just don't buy them not making a city though, and taking a chance that the cylons might come back someday and shred this planet.

Maybe they only succeeded in lengthening the cycle from a few thousand years to a few hundred thousand years.

Still mulling this ending over... ;)
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Yeah, had they come here 4000 years ago and built atlantis, that would have made more sense, but I guess R Moore dont want to do the obvious stuff.. ;)
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    [QUOTE=David of Mac;180453]It's on the [url=http://www.lalalandrecords.com/BattlestarGalacticaS3.html]season 3 soundtrack.[/url][/QUOTE]

While watchtower is featured on the S3, it isn't quite the form used in the show as the Final Five theme. Some clip-forms have been made available through soundtrack deconstruction, but the version in the show is nearly unique in composition.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    If I spent the last 4 years constantly on the run in a bunch of tin cans, constantly fearing death, I too would want to leave it all behind and learn underwater basket weaving.
    [QUOTE=croxis;180463]If I spent the last 4 years constantly on the run in a bunch of tin cans, constantly fearing death, I too would want to leave it all behind and learn underwater basket weaving.[/QUOTE]

Not sure anybody is arguing the contrary. The point of contention is, would you dump your gear that has saved your a$$ thus far that easily? I'm not talking about your iPhone here, i.e. Adama said to Cottle, the fleet needs a doctor, well without his tools and medicine cabinet, Cottle's pretty much screwed. Sorry about your infection, but I'm fresh out of antibiotics. There are other examples like that. Why would they split up? Common sense says, together you are strong. Why do they dump all that precious alloy that they could make tools or build simple shelters from? I'm sick of this iron coffin, I'm going to go commando from now on, just like the bushmen over there. Again, it doesn't make much sense once you scratch the surface.

That's why it is most definitely a poetic ending(*) that needs to be enjoyed for what it is. I liked it, on a human-cylon level. (* that is, if you remove the unnecessary garbage at the end, 150,000 years later...)
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    The problem with 150,000 years later is that no matter how much of the simple life these people wanted to live afterwards, a lot of their knowledge would have survived anyway. It would not coincide with earth history to were we are today. They had knowledge of math, medicine, language, science and so on. Some of that would have carried on regardless because it's the way the know how to live in the end. Cottle for example will not forget that he needs to sterilize objects before treating wounds. His knowledge will be passed to the people around him giving some basic knowledge of medicine at the very least. Had they acually landed here 150,000 years ago their influence would have advanced earth civilization by about 140,000 years.
  • PSI-KILLERPSI-KILLER Needs help
    Going native and doing cave people and weraring furs and skins plus maybe not being able to feed yourself during the winter, I might have perferred getting nuked on Caprica. I won't even get into the lack of medicine. I might have statyed on the ship as it get drivin into the sun.
    [QUOTE=Vorlons in my Head;180465]The problem with 150,000 years later is that no matter how much of the simple life these people wanted to live afterwards, a lot of their knowledge would have survived anyway.[/QUOTE]

Considering how much things change in just 4000 years, culturally, I would say no.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    And just look what happened when the crew of the USS Horizon left a copy of "Chicago Mobs of the Twenties" on Sigma Iotia II!

Hilarity ensues!
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    It's...over :nervous: What now. B5 is long gone, Farscape too, and now Battlestar Galactica, and no new show on the horizon of equal quality I think..
  • What about that Caprica? or did they turn it in Craprica?

But other than that, you are right.. No good scifi on my sights.
    My show! The details fo which are coming in a few weeks and the show itself, not long after that ;)

As for Caprica, the pilot is coming in April.

Worf
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brD5D0ytD04[/url]

Only a matter of time till I get my own Boomer...
    She seems more Terminator than Cylon.

Worf
    Its funny you call it a she.
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    [url]http://spaceramblings.blogsome.com/2006/10/23/why-battlestar-galactica-sucks/[/url]

Fire at will? :P
    [QUOTE]Battlestar Galactica is funny like a hole in the head[/QUOTE] This made me LOL! :D
    [QUOTE=HuntSmacker;180479]
    Fire at will? :P[/QUOTE]

Eh, my only comment, I wish people could redirect their energy expended hating something as completely inconsiquencial as a television show into far more constructive activities...

That said, I guess the same is true for rabid fans too...

Jake
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    [QUOTE=Mundane;180473]It's...over :nervous: What now. B5 is long gone, Farscape too, and now Battlestar Galactica, and no new show on the horizon of equal quality I think..[/QUOTE]
    BSG isn't quite over just yet. We still have The Plan movie coming fairly soon.
    I don't have much faith that it'll be nearly as deep or enthralling as series-form Galactica. I do eagerly await the score.

On the upside of things, the official word is now that McCreary heard the cries of the fans and will be dispensing justice with a two-disc S4 release with tracks from S4 (minus the finale) on the first disc, and the final episode neatly packed in full across the second. This will be followed by the possibility of standalone releases for Razor and The Plan, eventually followed by a box set of supplementary tracks and compositional progression spanning some large number of discs that I do hope will come out in the foreseeable future.
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Yep, we must capture and tie up Mr McCreary so he can produce the album in a timely fashion suitable for our appetites. :P
    I dont know if tieing him up is beneficient towards our goal..
    Musicians must believe they are free, lest they fall into the trap of "writer's block"
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I want the score. A BSG field show? Or better yet a BSG winter percussion show? *swoon*
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [url=http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=1819]Yay! Soundtrack news![/url]

The quick and dirty upshot:

Caprica's soundtrack will be available from La-La-Land in late May, and in other stores in early June.

BSG Season 4 is set for the middle of July. It'll be two discs, with the first CD being highlights from "He That Believeth In Me" to "Islanded in a Stream of Stars," and the second CD being pretty much the entire score of "Daybreak."

A soundtrack album for Razor and The Plan will be out sometime after that. That's a bit more vague, because he hasn't even seen The Plan yet, much less finished scoring it. My personal guess would be at the end of the year, since The Plan isn't airing until November, and it doesn't make too much sense to release the soundtrack to it first.

Finally, the multi-CD set of unreleased material from all four seasons is coming at some undetermined point in the future. I very much doubt it'll come out before next year.