Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

And so the end begins (Galactica) (S4.5 Spoilers through current episode)

Comments

• I think it may be Starbuck herself on the helm.
  • Pixel_DonkeyPixel_Donkey Earthforce Officer
    Oh my god I never knew this was back on! I'll have to aquire them over the weekend :D
  • Personally I think the fly-inside-and-fire-all-the-nukes Macross-style ending would be fantastic.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    I can't belive there are only two eps left...

Next Friday is going to be bittersweet. I hope there is some EPIC ending to this, otherwise we'll have gone two seasons with no real epic battles.

(Last was escape from new caprica)
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    You forget the battle in the nebula.

Worf
  • Vorlons in my HeadVorlons in my Head The Vorlons told me to.
    I'm still sticking to my theory this is not the last season. They've been keeping it tight that there will be a 10 episode season 5 to wrap things up. The last thing you'll see March 20th is "to be continued". If I'm wrong I'll deny any mention of this :P
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    Actually...I think next week will be the end.

My guess is that BSG was a show about two things:
    1: Survival
    2: The ship itself.

By the end of next week, the Cylon threat will be eliminated, and the ship will be gone. If they continued it past that point, it would not be the same. We know all we need to know, and some things will remain unanswered. (Who is Kara, whats with Six in Baltars head), etc.

But we know Humanities last challenge is finding a planet. Thats all they have left to do. That can easily be wrapped up in a final monolog/speech about what they have been through, and where they are going. I can see it now... "In the end, earth was a dream. It was the last thread connecting us to our past. From here on, we write our own future. No prophesy or destinies shaping our future, no enemies seeking to destroy us. We moved beyond that, and ultimately found a new home."
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Oh my... this episode was very telling!

Answered a lot of questions already with some of the elements towards the end.

It's all so very clear to me now... Kara, her visions, the mixing of cylon six and Baltars head, the cycle of "this has all happened before, and will all happen again", the appearant iterations of similar cycles over thousands of years, how Galactica will prevail (even if in destruction) over the colony, and so much more.

It's kind of a letdown for me for the final 2 hour show, except that it should be quite a busy fight scene and partcile systems heavy CG work to watch! :)
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    I'm curious as to what Baltar's story will be, he failed the test of a selfless act by not crossing the line...we he redeem himself in leading the remaining humans, or does his story end there. Somehow it would seem appropriate for Baltar's story to end at that point, never finding the courage within himself to become more.

Jake
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    OK JackN, either you're being sarcastic, or I missed something. Kara and Baltars' Six make sense now?! Eh?
  • PSI-KILLERPSI-KILLER Needs help
    Baltar is a weenie head
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    [quote=a2597;180202]ok jackn... Kara and baltars' six make sense now?! Eh?[/quote]

@%$$#^ [b][i][color="royalblue"]yes![/color][/i][/b] ^#$$%@
    All I can say is that was a terrible place to end the episode. Not really a cliffhanger or anything, it just stops :/

I'll be watching it again immediately before the finale.

Worf
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    It did kind of end alright. The tension and anticipation was building really well up to that point (the music helped greatly too).

Didn't the hybrid say something along the lines of a group going their own way with their leader? Aka Baltar and his lot? With no voice in the government they don't have much of a future in the fleet.
  • PSI-KILLERPSI-KILLER Needs help
    "they are just blow up dolls" ..that was hillarious.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    That episode was kind of a let down. I really hope Baltar gets his lot together and goes with them in the end. There were a couple of scenes where it lokked like he was going to cross the line, but his "gathering" held him back..
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I thought I made a very detailed post, but it seems to have vanished.

I'll summarize: This episode felt as if it were inappropriately detached from a larger story, abruptly halting at the end without any rhyme or reason. I suspect it will be much stronger when played back-to-back with the coming two hour run, and that the gap will actually serve to weaken the impact made by its conclusion. Too much time to dwell, not enough opportunity to just view it and be done with.

I love this show, but the airing habits of the Scifi Channel combined with the writing habits of the Galactica team just don't mesh. At this point, the series may have even needed an additional year of time to conclude the numerous threads it has piled on seemingly unnecessarily these last two seasons.

For example, will we ever see the fallout from the seemingly pointless murder of Callie?
    So many threads of that sort really seem to have just come and gone, leaving only wasted time in their wake. The entire lead-up of this season, while interesting and dramatic, was so much wasted time in hindsight. I still love the show dearly, but it's a constant tease with little actual substance!
    I agree Sanfam, though I dont know if all threads need to be resolved, yes Callies death was pointless, but most deaths are. The fact that the chief and Tory were lovers does complicate the matter, but I dont think shell ever tell him she did it.
    Sanfam, that was my point exactly, it just stops. It's not as if they built up to a cliffhanger or anything. Just felt like "Your 45 minutes are up, come back next week"

I plan to rewatch it immediately before the finale to get the proper impact.

Worf
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Did you know Katee Sackhoff (starbuck) gets embarrassed? [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH4Y7viLm70[/url]

I mean she is only singing happy birthday to her mother in front of 500 people.

The Q&A was a bit of fun, and quite illuminating. I brought a good friend of mine to the showing and his sister went to high school with Katee. In high school Katee was a total bitch, and she even admitted to being such. Seems like she grew up quite a bit sense then!

One thing that was confirmed by her that I suspected was that there was no serious pre planned arc. The actors had quite a bit of say in the direction and writing of their characters, even on the day of shooting. This actually changed some serious direction. In any other universe Starbuck would probably ended up with Apollo. But Katee and Michael Trucco (Sam Anders) became very close friends. They felt their real life friendship resonated in their characters and so, to them, it made sense for them to be married. Katee is also good friends with Michael's fiancee. Some of her most aquward days is when she has make out sceens with Michael and realizes that she made out with Michael more that day than his fiancee.

The pain you see in Starbuck when looking at Anders on the hospital bed is very real. Michael was in a serious car accident in 2007 and to see him with those tubes in his face again really twisted her up inside.

There was a sceen in the mutiny arc where Apollo and Starbuck had no guns, were hiding right next to 15 armed soldiers, and they were directed to talk in a normal voice. It made no sense to her that they would be talking in normal voices right next to the baddies, so she purposefully acted very bad that day. The sceen didn't make it into the final cut.

If she could take any prop from the set she would go in armed to the teeth and get the red dress for Tricia Helfer (Six), as it was taken for the auction.
    [QUOTE=Messiah;180232]I agree Sanfam, though I dont know if all threads need to be resolved, yes Callies death was pointless, but most deaths are. The fact that the chief and Tory were lovers does complicate the matter, but I dont think shell ever tell him she did it.[/QUOTE]

It's less about resolution, more about wasted time. If the death of callie ends up serving no purpose, then it was a waste of one entire episode and segments of three leading up to it establishing the apparent evilness of Tory's new Cylon ways. The fact that his son ended up [B]not[/B] being a hybrid only served to complicate that, offering greater possibilities for an interesting conflict between the two. With so much time being spent on these arcs, the plots being thrown into the trash would just be a complete waste of nearly one quarter of a season and all of the buildup and emotion associated with it. That's more wasteful than unnecessary, as it will likely lead to a weaker conclusion.

Pointless deaths are of little concern to me. People die in insignificant ways all the time. Callie's death was anything but insignificant.
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Plus she's hot as hell.
    [QUOTE=Sanfam;180248]Pointless deaths are of little concern to me. People die in insignificant ways all the time. Callie's death was anything but insignificant.[/QUOTE]

I agree, but I dont see why they should go on with the plot. Tory will never tell anyone she did it. I see the plot as finished, and it would just ruin it for me to expand.

In good movies, they dont resolve everything, and leave you thinking..
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    I don't see Callie's death as completely pointless even if there isn't some bigger meaning to it and her son isn't a cylon/human hybrid because it did quite well show what Tory is capable of and shit like that. :)
    But what purpose does it serve to demonstrate that ability with no benefit to the story? It's a pointless diversion emotional diversion with a penalty to several characters.
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    The Caprica buildings look a LOT like many towers in Seoul.
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    One More Day...
    It's almost heeeere! AHHHH!
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    Hope Grace Park will go into some academy award winning independent movie after Battlestar.. So we can see her jubblies.. Or tushy.. or bush...
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Can't believe the end is so close.