Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Babylon 5's Straczynski live, MIT, May 22

13»

Comments

• DarthCaligulaDarthCaligula Elite Ranger
    What the hell happened?
    ....Or should we not ask?
  • [QUOTE=Stingray;181913]So, any way of knowing what JMS said? :D[/QUOTE]
    For those interested, there's a 'trip report' I wrote and posted to the moderated newsgroup and JMSnews.com [url=http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated/msg/361a71e0cbe61a7f]here. [/url]

Jan
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Interesting read, thanks for sharing. :)

I don't think anyone can blame JMS for having tried to make Crusade. Who wouldn't have tried after B5? In the current TV market, I doubt B5 would have made it past its first season. I'm glad they were able to make B5 what it is today, and nobody can take that away. It's easy to forgive what came after when you see what came before.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Jan, it sounds like the event was a real blast! I was tempted to come, but it was just too close to a number of critical deadlines. (doh!)

I really do wish I could heard JMS nudging everyone into a round of "Gilligan's Island."
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    What the TV studios need to do is just make miniseries for dramas, and those that do well can be extended into full series. It feels like that is already being done though.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Isn't that what the pilot system is?
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    One would think, but to be honest I don't see many shows that start off with a pilot, they just hope directly into production of the first episode. The most recent pilot I saw, Glee, went into production as a series before the pilot even aired.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    A pilot is almost always made, if not always broadcast. Often times, the pilot is simply a "rough draft" of the first episode used to show off the style of cinematography, editing, writing, etc. In fact, with a little searching one can find hundreds of unaired pilots for many shows, both highly successful and [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_57"]never even ordered[/URL].
  • JohnnyOnTheSpotJohnnyOnTheSpot Banned by request
    I just want to say, Joe was great as an orator.

I took everything way to personally as if his humor was directed at me.

His stories spanned his entire life, hes just a man trying to do the right thing and writing is the only thing he figures he can do within those limits to try and make a better future. (I wrote a letter saying he should try taking up guitar or something)

Joe was funny, he told us stories about past girlfriends and...well I'm not going to tell these stories because I have a chance of getting reblacklisted again.

When he was serious, he confirmed a few things that were floating in my mind for a while.

TV is closely becoming reality, we have a chance at changing things before we go in the shitter, damn it there was so much yet at the same time, I felt the need to be a dick and say something selfish and obnoxius.

So many questions worth being answered from somebody with an alternative experience from mine.

The real questions I wanted to ask are [URL="http://thetowerdrawsnearer.blogspot.com/2009/05/real-questions.html"]herel[/URL] ignore any past posts or ignorance please.
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Any videos from the event?
  • Not yet but there will be a DVD at some point which should include JMS' speech and the Q&A with Prof. Jenkins. Assuming it's done the same way as last year's Neil Gaiman one, the audience Q&A won't be included.

Han