Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Twilight...

RickRick Sector 14 Studios
[quote][i]"It is said that the future is always born in pain. The history of war is the history of pain. If we are wise, what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world, because we learn that we can no longer afford the mistakes of the past."[/i]
--G'Kar in Babylon 5:"In the Beginning"
[/quote]

Nearly two years ago, Sierra On-Line turned out the light on an extraordinary creation – an advanced interactive tale based on Mr. Straczynski's epic, [i]Babylon 5[/i]. Now, it is with deep regret that we must finally say that this light will remain extinguished.

Our one last effort has failed.

There are no feelings of animosity with those we were working with; quite to the contrary, in fact. We understand the decision. It makes sense. We see this, even though it was not in our favor.

[quote][i]"That's not fair."
"No, it's not, but that's what we're stuck with."[/i]
--Lyta Alexander and Dr. Kyle in Babylon 5:"The Gathering"
[/quote]

Do we regret it? No way. In fact, we’ve probably done more than most will ever know to secure the future of [i]Babylon 5[/i], and that, in itself, is reward enough. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/vsml.gif[/img]

[quote][i]"There is … so much I still don't understand."
"As it should be."[/i]
-- Sheriden and Lorien in Babylon 5:"Sleeping in Light"
[/quote]

It has been a long road. We fought the good fight. We shared moments of utterly insane humor, we challenged ourselves in heated debates, we've cried--

We became friends.

More important than even that - we helped to create our own little international community, proving the basic goodness of ordinary people can transcend differences in faith and government; and by doing so we have succeeded in a way, because we believe that this is part of the message JMS was trying to communicate with [i]Babylon 5[/i].

[quote][i]"Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations. There would never be another. It changed the future...and it changed us. It taught us that we have to create the future...or others will do it for us. It showed us that we have care for one another, because if we don't, who will? And that true strength sometimes comes from the most unlikely places. Mostly, though, I think it gave us hope; that there can always be new beginnings-even for
people like us."[/i]
--General Susan Ivanova in Babylon 5:"Sleeping in Light"
[/quote]

What's next?

Randy will be continuing with film and TV projects and his obsession with the development of effective interactive storytelling.

Christy will continue with her television career and various interactive projects, some of which you will be playing, no doubt.

Rick will be starting fresh on a completely original project, though the medium, at this point, remains open. Nothing beats being in control of your own destiny.

And the rest of the crew? Dan and Stuart are still working hard at Microsoft on future successes; Marc and family are enjoying east-coast living while he continues developing games at Firaxis; John Walker lurks here still, and when not experiencing “redneck life” firsthand, he’s experiencing the newfound joys of parenthood; Jack recently became a certified Web Designer, taking on a job at a local school; Keith continues his successful career at Foundation Imaging, bringing us some of the best effects work in the industry; and Jeff, at last call, was working on projects unnamed at Monolith.

And pretty much everyone reading this knows what The Great Maker is up to…

[quote][i]”Faith manages.”[/i]
--JMS, “Sleeping in Light”
[/quote]

Have hope. We believe that JMS will do us proud when [i]"Legend of the Rangers,"[/i] hits the screen, and, with a bit of luck, a new legacy will be born. Who knows what may grow from it? [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/vsml.gif[/img]

Finally, our heartfelt thanks to you, the best, most loyal, zany, wonderful friends from around the world who joined us on our journey.

[quote][i]"This journey has ended. Another begins. Time ... to rest now."[/i]
-- Lorien in Babylon 5:"Sleeping in Light"
[/quote]

With heartfelt thanks,

- The “Into the Fire” Development Team

------------------
[i]"...In the end it would hold because what is built endures. And what is loved endures.
And Babylon 5...Babylon 5 endures."[/i] -- Delenn in the Babylon 5 episode [i]Rising Star[/i]

Comments

• i wish you luck on your jorney rick, may the winds of fortune blow your way
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    I've been accused, as of late, to becoming more and more like G'kar in my verbage.

The following words came to me the other day while we were discussing how to say this, and I wanted to share them with you, as they seem particularly fitting...

[quote]As I look back down these aged corridors for the last time, echos from the past return to life; moments in time forever ingrained within my memory. As the lights dim one by one I realize, for the very first time, that everything I take with me is all I left behind.
    [/quote]

Memory and friends are treasures you take with you, and noone can take them away.

-R.
    ------------------
    [i]"...In the end it would hold because what is built endures. And what is loved endures.
    And Babylon 5...Babylon 5 endures."[/i] -- Delenn in the Babylon 5 episode [i]Rising Star[/i]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 06-11-2001).]
  • damn... it just... i so much wanted to kick biggles' ass in frazi [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/wink.gif[/img]
  • well you can feel empty, but hey some day we will have our game right...i mean whatever happens happens for the best, who knows i may be the founder of narn regime once online
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    Thanks, D'ren---It's not over for me....

"Tick, Tock."

Tock for now...and I'm really looking forward to Tocking for a while...

-Rick

------------------
  • I have never seen such devotion to a cause before in my life, It was just a game but you guys made it seem like you were fighting for the world.

Thank You.

------------------
    We Live as one, We die as one, We will face the darkness as one.

"Understanding is a Three Edged Sword- Your side, Their side, And the Truth...."
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    [quote]Originally posted by Rick:
    [b] With heartfelt thanks,

- The “Into the Fire” Development Team

[/b][/quote]

Thanks for 2 years of hope, I guess in some cases, Faith alone doesn't manage. I'll never understand Sierra's decision to cancel the game.

And i STILL can't believe that nobody (companies) as the vision to pick up the game and finish it. after all the hard work that's been done to keep it going

------------------
    ..And so it Begins

[This message has been edited by Entil'Zha (edited 06-11-2001).]
  • GrevenGreven Ranger
    Thanks of all the hard work... B5 will never die. Good Luck with your lifes.

------------------
    [url="http://www.modfactory.net"]ModFactory[/url]
    <*>
  • ArikArik Galen's Apprentice
    Babylon 5 Into the Fire was a beautiful dream. I have lost nothing from believing in this dream, and gained so very much.

Sector14 Studios: You should be proud of the effort you have given to this project. You fought the good fight, and you made a difference. Best of luck with your future projects!

[quote]"It is better to have lived and died, than never to have lived at all."[/quote]
  • X-OmegaX-Omega Elite Ranger
    *fighting the lack of words*
    Your dream was too good for this world... I wish you all good with your lives and careers. You're the best.

------------------
    [b]Never start a fight. But always finish it.[/b]
    Finnish techno-geek, friend of all aardvarks
    Moderator at Babylon 5: Into the Fire Finland message boards
    #b5itf-finland (IRCnet) channel operator
  • Faith does manage, The hope of "Into The Fire" may not have resulted in the acual game, but it spawned dozens of mods for other games, and brought Babylon 5 to many more people. Before I had never even dreamed of a Babylon 5 mod, but now I play them daily. Although these mods will never be as good as the true game, they are the childeren of "Into The Fire" and in time will grow to such an extent that game companies will no longer be able to ignore the thirst for a game based on the best show ever made.

------------------
    We Live as one, We die as one, We will face the darkness as one.

"Understanding is a Three Edged Sword- Your side, Their side, And the Truth...."
  • what will happen with this place then?
    [quote]Originally posted by X-Omega:
    [b]*fighting the lack of words*
    [/b][/quote]

I've got the perfect words "This Sucks"

------------------
    ..And so it Begins
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    well....we lived in hope...but knew that this hope was a small one...thanks for that you tried to do your best.
    [quote]Originally posted by Warleader D'Ren:
    [b]what will happen with this place then?[/b][/quote]

Yeah, what happens to firstones.com?

------------------
    ..And so it Begins
  • GrevenGreven Ranger
    We will remeber what happen and keep what is alive living and never stop trying for things we want.

------------------
    [url="http://www.modfactory.net"]ModFactory[/url]
    <*>
  • To Rick and Company:

Thanks so much for all your effort and devotion over the past few years, it's been tremendous. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img] I only wish the outcome could have been different, but you've fought the good fight, and that's all that matters.

To everyone else in this wonderful community who stood by the game and the dream through all these years -- thanks so much as well. It's been inspirational and uplifting. [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]

I echo D'Ren's question: what will happen to this place now? Will it meet the same fate as the Babylon station?

------------------
    [b]Commander[/b] socrates
    flightleader, [i]Erinyes[/i]
    The Gray Hand of Fate
    AnlaShok Blackops

"Do [b]NOT[/b] interfere."
    At least the mods site will have to keep functioning. There's also good conversation going on here and it would be a big shame to see it end.

------------------
    Finnish techno-geek, friend of all aardvarks
    Moderator at Babylon 5: Into the Fire Finland message boards
    #b5itf-finland (IRCnet) channel operator
  • ArikArik Galen's Apprentice
    What fascinates me about Firstones is how the one thing we had in common, our wish to see B5:ITF completed, united this tremendously diverse group of people from all over the world to form one of the most loyal and mature (aardvark!!!) online communities. In the last 2 years we learned how to get along, how to find enough confidence in our belief system to be able to respect someone else's. I feel honored to have been a part of Firstones.
  • MackieMackie Ranger
    my thanks to you and farewell... [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/frown.gif[/img]

------------------
    sad but true,
    im drinking the whiskey in the jar through the never
    and nothing else matters,
    so dont tread me
    because im better than you.
    am I evil?

Neo, there is no SPOO.
  • In the years this place has been up it has become much more than a game fourum, it became a fourum for last hopes, for friendship, a place where people from around the world came to speak, and share their dreams with those who would listen. I say this place stay open, not as a fourum for the game, but as a nexus, a mecca for Babylon5. Lets gather as much as we can about it and build it onto what already exists, let everyone who hears the message of Babylon 5 come here, for trinkets, for games, for hope.

[This message has been edited by TheEXone (edited 06-11-2001).]
    [quote]Originally posted by TheEXone:
    [b]In the years this place has been up it has become much more than a game fourum, it became a fourum for last hopes, for friendship, a place where people from around the world came to speak, and share their dreams with those who would listen. I say this place stay open, not as a fourum for the game, but as a nexus, a mecca for Babylon5. Lets gather as much as we can about it and build it onto what already exists, let everyone who hears the message of Babylon 5 come here, for trinkets, for games, or hope.[/b][/quote]

I agree, this place should stay open!

------------------
    ..And so it Begins
  • garethjgarethj Earthforce Officer
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

First - I can't buy any props cause they are too expensive and now this - No game...

(moment of silence)

OK - thanks to Sector 14 for all the hard work - It was fun being (a very,very) small part of this. Best of luck in all your future endeavours.

Gareth "Still can't believe Sierra let this die..." Jones
  • *sigh* [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/frown.gif[/img]
    So, no B5:ItF then... And if i understood correctly you aren't going to start making another B5 game from scratch? Now you'll of course take some time off again, but maybe a B5:SCS later?

I'll be waiting...
    No matter how long it takes, i'm not going anywhere untill i get my damn game! [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]

*walks to the lightswitch and starts protecting it*
    Nobody turns of the lights!
    *sit's down next to the switch making sure nobody touches it*

------------------
    Ash nazg durbatulûk,
    ash nazg gimbatul,
    ash nazg thrakatulûk agh
    burzum-ishi krimpatul.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I am saddened by the loss of the game, but i am overjoyed that all of you, the Developers, the Active Posters, and the Lurkers, have remained true to the game for so long. It is of great pride that I say "I fought for ITF!"
    It is probably a feeling I share with many Others, too.

We had minor losses evened up by minor successes, and major losses countered with major victories. Now, the game we knew is gone. It will not return. This is not the end of hope, though. Hope remains. Hope always persists in those who believe. It is not a blind feeling, either. It only follows in the path towards victory. I believe this is just another chapter in the history of firstones.com. I would like to believe that we still have more to be written, and I will continue to do so until the day the site is deleted from the server (which it will not, if I can help it.) Firstones.com will live on.

Everyone here right now, I hope you will stay. Even if the game is gone, the community is still here. This site can persist as a general forum for any interesting discussion, babylon 5 related or not. We have had MANY fine discussions here, and I do not want those to end. Never before have I had the pleasure of posting in the midst of so many talented and respectful individuals. I send a big thanks to you.

If you are reading this, Rick, Randy, John, Dan, Marc, and the rest who I did not mention, you have been more than helpful. Your Vorlonic posts, kindness, and general persistance are beyond respectful. If I could pin a medallion onto you, I would. Do you think a little starcraft action figure is too much? [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/vsml.gif[/img] I just cannot say in words how much you are loved the the community. When I look back, I see parents caring for an ill child, not drones simply trying to bring it back so it can make money. I see genuine hope, nervousness, and dedication.

Thank you.
  • LecksterLeckster Earthforce Officer
    So.... i'm guessing there no hope of getting a B5 game ever?... then what was the point?

and since there no point i want to know the whole truth!!!

Cus Half a Truth is Worse Then A Lie!

I want to know why and everything that has ever happened about the game things that they couldent tell us beacuse they cant!!
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Rick:

More like a Certifiable Web Designer!!!

[img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/biggrin.gif[/img]

Well, another page turns... What will happen with Sector 14 Rick?

As to B5:Itf... May it rest in peace, and maybe a whole new project can be spearheaded by some other group like a Pheonix out of the Fire.

I'll keep visiting this place as long as it is up...

Cheers!
  • [quote][b]Thanks for 2 years of hope
    [/b][/quote]

Indeed [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/frown.gif[/img]

I think that's all I need to say, for now.

[This message has been edited by Mr_Bungle (edited 06-11-2001).]
  • eamonmcaeamonmca Earthforce Officer
    The B5 universe will continue, both in book and film.
    The mods will continue.
    The freeware project will continue.

Cheer up [img]http://216.15.145.59/mainforums/smile.gif[/img]

------------------
    Live long and.. um..
    Have a Beer!
    One question remains...
    *takes a good position on the floor*
    Can you tell us the [b]story[/b]?

------------------