Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

And so the end begins (Galactica) (S4.5 Spoilers through current episode)

Comments

• RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    Just watched the final episode (i kinda "forgot" to watch after the first ep of season 4, and then waited until all episodes were available with watching again, so I watched the whole season in the last 6 or so days) and i have to say: perfect.

There was so much in those 2 hours, and I'm so happy that they didn't end it at the moment it was revealed that Galactica jumped to the real earth (ending of VOY anyone?) After that i was holding back tears for quite a while, but the TOS theme playing when Galactica (+fleet) was heading into the sun was too much. From then on, the old rainworks were turned on...

And Helo was still alive!

And NY, with "All along the Watchtower, and the robot doing the robot"...
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Ok, I've finally gotten around to watching the finale. I wanted to wait to watch all three episdoes in a single sitting once my coursework was done, hence the wait. I'm not going to go back through all the points made in the last 3 pages since I last read it as I'll be here all night heh! But there are a few general points I want to make, and Jack has a nice summation of most of them ;)

Firstly, that was a frakking awesome conclusion! Not without its faults, as I'll get to later, but still, all the complaints I have are minor ones.

Kara disappearing is one of them yes; as an atheist I don't in principle like the idea of god and angels. On the other hand, I dont rule them out, and I do approve of anything that requires thinking, even if there is not necessarily any answers to be had.

[QUOTE=JackN;180457]I liked the idea of colonial/cylon DNA being introduced to the planet at some distant point in our past, because it makes for a great explanation as to why all of a sudden primates had an "instant" jump in cognitive abilities during the time line of our history. Technically, "Aliens" did come down from the heavens and mess with our blood lines. :)[/QUOTE]

Technically it is as good an explanation as any, and one I have no problem with. The fossil and geological record is far from complete, and something like this could easily be hidden in there somewhere. We're still struggling to understand our own full genome, without even considering 'alien/cylon' heritage.

[QUOTE=JackN;180457]It was an interesting challenge to chose to start with a clean slate and send off all their ships into the sun. I wasn't happy with it, but then it would be necessary to do something like this if you wish to shed the Sardine Can existence in the fleet for all those years across the galaxy and start fresh on a new planet.[/quote]

Yes it was necessary, but I was hoping (for want of a better term) a more glorious ending for the Galactica, and even the rest of the fleet. After so long a journey, I was hoping for more than being flown into the sun. To that end, I would have been happier if Galactica hadn't returned from the colony at all, and everyone had escaped by raptor.

[QUOTE=JackN;180457]In the end, if you follow this through to our present day, they did retain their knowledge and pass it down through history in regards to engineering, math, stories of the "gods", stories of the constellations, etc.[/quote]

Indeed, one only has to look at the commonality of certain threads through our various mythologies to see how such threads could last until the present time. And don't underestimate the fact that knowledge of maths and science has been especially advanced in certain cultures long before they were in most 'western' cultures. For example, consider the Dark Ages in Europe due to religious proscription, and the advanced sciences in middle eastern cultures.

[QUOTE=JackN;180457]I just don't buy them not making a city though, and taking a chance that the cylons might come back someday and shred this planet.

Maybe they only succeeded in lengthening the cycle from a few thousand years to a few hundred thousand years.

Still mulling this ending over... ;)[/QUOTE]

The pigeons may yet come home to roost ;) I dont really have a problem with that tbh. Even if the Centurions did evolve along similar lines as the human models, would they have reason to wipe us out? Ok a lot of them were 'killed', but it was their own 'masters' who controlled them, and once the colony was destroyed so were they.

Something that did interest me was what happened to the other cylons not at the colony? The human models would have eventually died, but what might they have accomplished in that time?
  • A2597A2597 Fanboy
    this seems appropriate:
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTRVs1qYXc8[/url]
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    [QUOTE=RedAssAg05;180399]So, if Kara was an 'angel,' how did she punch in the numbers for the FTL jump? I don't buy it. And the evidence doesn't support it.

And why is it that only Helo's family and Baltar (of all people!) can live happily ever after in the end, so far as the main players are concerned? What kind of peace did Apollo find?

There was plenty to like about the finale, but in my opinion, much of it felt like they just went, "um, okay let's do it this way; who cares if we can't explain it, we'll just say 'it's a mystery!' and be all deep and stuff."

Sorry, after 4 years, I feel like I deserve more closure than that. I guess I just became too emotionally invested in Kara's story, or read too deep into things like her father, knowing the Watchtower song, her fingers being broken, her time in the Farm, Flashbacks with her, Lee and Zack, FINDING HER BONES ON EARTH AFTER HER SHIP BLEW UP LIGHT YEARS AWAY, and other little tidbits.[/QUOTE]
    I believe that Kara was the "Christ Character" of the show. She was reborn to guide the faithful home, and miraculously disappeared afterwards. I thought the many nods to mythology, mysticism, and religion were a great element of the story...right down to the notion of God or Gods (Christianity or Grecko-Roman mysticism).

Just my $0.02.

-R.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    I've seen no one catch on to the real message of the finale:
    Bob Dylan is a Cylon! (or at the very least Starbuck's father)
  • whitestar90whitestar90 Elite Ranger
    LOL that would explain alot about him then.:laugh:
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    A2597: haha that was awesomely funny :D
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    [url]http://www.leasticoulddo.com/comic/20090325[/url]
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Gaaaaiiiiuuusssss Baaaalllltaaaaaarrrrr---HE'S THE MOTHERFUCKING SHIT! [B]HE'S THE MOTHERFUCKING SHIT![/B] Best President since Jimmy Carter, banged more blondes than JFK.....well not really, since they're all the saaaaame!

it killed me when I first saw it. The adjacent two parts are also well worth viewing.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    I love how Jamie can't bullshit properly unless he's using his american accident. And of course, "There's no Bear! There's no one named Bear! What, does he look like one? RAAAWWWWRRRR!"
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    [url]http://www.lfgcomic.com/page/238[/url]
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    I just had a thought as I was washing dishes. According to Bob Watchtower was telling a story backwards. IIRC someone official-like said the lyrics also applied to Battlestar that way too. The very first line, and the last of the story, is "there must be some way out of here, said the joker to the thief." Starbuck, arguably the joker, said that as she was about to punch in the coordinates to Earth and end the story. Now I am trying to figure out who the theif is. She was talking to herself, to noone, or to God.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Youre sure its not "said the joker to the chief?" :p
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    [url]http://www.theonion.com/content/news/obama_depressed_distant_since?utm_source=a-section[/url]

"Obama depressed, distant since Galactica series finale"
    Haha niiiice :D
  • LogicSequenceLogicSequence Elite Ranger
    Thought everyone might get a kick out of this... I may just have to order one, best inside joke t-shirt EVER.

[URL="http://www.zazzle.com/theres_no_place_like_1123_6536_5321_tshirt-235272010325883284"]There's No Place like 1123, 6536, 5321[/URL]

Also note, the "I frakked Apollo" t-shirt is worn by a guy, and the "I frakked Starbuck" t-shirt is worn by a girl. :p

* LogicSequence High Fives Croxis
    I generally prefer unmarked t-shirts, but I may just make an exception for that one.

I'm still slightly amazed, though, that no one ever made a t-shirt or bumper sticker or something reading, "Viper pilots do it in the tubes."
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    OMG, that is awesome....I need that t-shirt...

Jake
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    my wife want's an "I Frakked Starbuck" shirt.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    forget the tshirt, I just want to do the deed!
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    The complete series on Bluray is now available to preorder.

[URL="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001993Y2C/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20"]Link[/URL]

Worf
    I'd better start saving soon then!
    [QUOTE=David of Mac;179746]I just found a site with more and larger photos of everything in the auction book. To see even more hybrid goodness, [url=http://www.auctionnetwork.com/UpcomingItem.asp?EventId=29529&ShowId=321&SortBy=-Past]click here.[/url][/QUOTE]

And the site for the second phase of the auction, with even more pictures, of even more crap, in even higher resolution, is up now. [url=http://www.auctionnetwork.com/UpcomingCatalog.asp?ShowId=402&SortBy=CustomStartTime]Have fun whiling away the hours.[/url]
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    $244? Ouch... Although i saw all of season 1 on HD-DVD and it was fan-fraking-tastic
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Today marks 10 years since season one began (in the us, it was aired in the UK 3 months earlier). Hard to believe it's been so long!

Entertainment Weekly have an article looking back at the episode.

Link
    Holy thread resurrection batman!

And yeah, kinda makes me sad to think that it was so long ago!
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    And no good scifi since :(
  • sataicallistasataicallista High Priestess of Squeee!
    wonderful article :) and yeah, nothing good since :'( thinking I may watch B5 all over again just to relive some glory days
  • I thought it was good a first, especially the first season, but that it quickly just devolved into a soap opera. I stopped watching when pretty much everyone was being revealed to have been a Cylon all along.
    It always felt like they had no real plan beyond the first couple of seasons. I always remember watching the opening credits when it says of the Cylons "..and they have a plan" ok, but do the writers?