Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Squeeeeeee!!!!

Comments

• sataicallistasataicallista High Priestess of Squeee!
    [QUOTE=WORF;160863]Episode 7 Spoiler: I was right, it was real time so I think 42 is a 24 reference. The episode was pretty good but not quite as good as the earlier episodes of the third series. First thing: No Martha drooling over the Doctor! Second thing: they're really throwing the Saxon thing in our faces. I wonder what Martha's mum is going to think when we get to the series finale. Third thing: The Doctor tried to tell Martha about his ability to regenerate, I hope this isn't a reminder to fans that he can do it to prepare us for it happening soon. I did actually start to wonder if he was going to regenerate in this episode. That's all for now.
    Worf[/QUOTE]

I disagree, I think this episode was one of the better ones of this season, very well written and executed. Sanfam agrees. :)
    I've seen enough clips and pics of the remaining episodes to know that third thing wasn't going to happen. Nevertheless, Spoiler: I was once again highly impressed by David's acting abilities and I found it intriguing that the Doctor was so terrified by what was happening to him. The Doctor rarely gets that scared by anything. It was unnerving actually. You could tell by his face there at the end when they were back in the TARDIS that he was really shaken by that. I'm curious to see what effects it will have on future episodes.

[QUOTE=Biggles;160871]7: Spoiler: It looked to me like the Saxon lackeys were trying to trace where/when Martha was calling from. Probably so Mr Saxon can find out where the Doctor is.

Also, Martha is quite a screamer.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Spoiler: Perhaps also to find out how much she knows about the Doctor. The more you know about your enemy.... :shadow1:
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    [QUOTE=sataicallista;160885]I disagree, I think this episode was one of the better ones of this season, very well written and executed. Sanfam agrees. :)
    [/QUOTE]

I fell the same as Worf. Spoiler: Most of the episode i felt like "been there, done that". The sets, color-scheme, hell, even the basic story-premise was very reminiscent of "The Impossible Planet" / "The Satan Pit" (beeing stuck on an industrial spaceship/base with a small crew, unable to get back to the TARDIS, something taking control of a person and trying to kill everyone on board, the whole thing falling towards certain doom (sun/black hole)).
    It was still enjoyable, but for me felt too familiar. IMHO they should have waited with this setting (beatdown industrial spaceship) a season. We had 2 of those last season ("The Impossible Planet" / "The Satan Pit" and the ship in "The Girl in the Fireplace")
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=RubberEagle;160887] Spoiler: The sets, color-scheme, hell, even the basic story-premise was very reminiscent of "The Impossible Planet" / "The Satan Pit" (beeing stuck on an industrial spaceship/base with a small crew, unable to get back to the TARDIS, something taking control of a person and trying to kill everyone on board, the whole thing falling towards certain doom (sun/black hole)).[/QUOTE]

Spoiler: I felt exactly the same way. However, I do think that in terms of execution, this episode was done really well (although not as well as [i]The Impossible Planet[/i], when it could have been a terrible rehash of ideas. It was quite fun to watch. :)
    You might want to fix that in-quote spoiler tag Biggles before someone complains. ;)

Spoiler: I knew ahead of time, from reading Doctor Who Magazine, that this episode was going to be the same hot, sweaty, gritty, dark atmosphere as The Impossible Planet. In fact, I think it was intended to be in the same universe and time frame. A lot of the technology looked similar. Knowing this allowed me to focus more on the plot and characters, both of which I think were handled masterfully. As Sanfam commented during the show, no one was acting stupidly, every character was used well, and the sonic screwdriver was barely used at all. I still think David Tennant stole the show as always. :D
    [QUOTE=sataicallista;160901]You might want to fix that in-quote spoiler tag Biggles before someone complains. ;)[/QUOTE]

I really must fix the spoiler tag going over other tags. :)
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I thought the episode was fantastic. My only gripes are that the similar sets made it seem as if there was a link to The Impossible Planet in some way when it was merely occurring in the same relative time frame.

And the Saxon bits really are getting annoying, but it was kept (mostly) until the very end. Maybe it was too soon to reuse the basic story, but it turned into something very enjoyable. Even the minor characters were used. And not only that, but everyone was exceptionally not stupid! HUZZAH!

It was a pretty good character drama that just happened to take place in space (as with most of my favorite Scifi)
    Spoiler: I didn't actually find the Saxon bits annoying. Perhaps it's my obsession with long-term complete stories, or perhaps it's that I found that they fit into the episode's story well.
    Spoiler: Well, my issue was more that they *could* have done the entire scene just as effectively had they not gone off and said "Mr. Saxon." The implication was already pretty strong, and while I enjoyed that someone was clearly interested enough to try and trace the call (could a cellphone call even be traced across space and time?), it just tripped my Saxon Overload.

Still, it was great otherwise.

I think at this point that an episode can almost be rated by how often the Sonic Screwdriver was used, and what for. Hell, the Doctor went right out and stated that he couldn't use it on those variety of lock mechanisms. Fantastic :D
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    Spoiler: I'm pretty sure that a cellphone call can be traced across time and space if you have timelord technology.

Worf
    You can do nearly anything if you have timelord technology. :)
    I don't know exactly how the cellphone-transmission-protocolls look like, but if there's some kind of network-identifier that's transmitted, you might not even need timelord technology....
    Episode 8: Spoiler: Well, that was an excellent episode. I was a bit unsure of The Doctor becoming human but it worked well. What really caught my attention is the book with all the sketches in, Paul McGann's Doctor was in there so the movie is probably considered canon. I really want to have a closer look at those pages to see what else is in there. Also, it looks like I was right, we saw Daleks again this series...even if it was flashbacks and a drawing ;).

Worf
    8: Spoiler: The page of sketches of previous Doctors was really cool. :)
    This was a good episode. Always a good idea to let the author adapt their own novel rather than someone else, especially when the author is a veteran Doctor Who writer.

Damnit Worf, you got me on that one. :)
    Spoiler: Even better, you saw Daleks in a dream and so did John Smith! I envies your skillz :P
    I'm a Timelord ;)

Worf
    Yes, that was a great episode. Spoiler: And this is how a 2-part has to end. One grief that i had with "Daleks in Manhattan" was, that at the end of the episode, there i felt no tension, I wasn't at the edge of my seat. At the end of this episode, I was ready to scream at the TV for making me wait a week for the conclusion.
    I also loved the scrapbook, and especially the page with the previous doctors. Such great renderings (all drawings in the book were), and like Worf I'd really love to get my hand on it. They should make this available as merchandise :D

For a moment i was thinking that the boy that got the Doctor's watch might actually be(come) Mr. Saxon, but i think his name was entirely different.
    Agreed, RubberEagle. The writing was superb and my interest in the episode never once faded. This is the best episode yet, and I can't wait for the follow-up.

Oh, by the way... I'm two for three here on predictions. :D Not a perfect result, but considering I was unspoiled as to the events of the episodes...pretty good.
    I had the same thought RubberEagle, I need to watch the episode again to see what happens.

Worf
    Episode 8 Spoiler: For those who liked the sketch book: [URL="http://www.bathtub-productions.com/thebook.jpg"]Link[/URL]

Worf
    Cool :)
    Ok...no one has yet posted thoughts on Episode 9? Sanfam and I both agree (for once) that Spoiler: this was probably the best episode ever, amazing writing. I wanted to cry a couple times. I agree with what Outpost Gallifrey said, that little Timothy's description of the Doctor was probably the best we've ever heard. David, as usual, was amazing.
    The one thing I wish we could have seen was the Doctor opening the watch and reabsorbing himself. I think that would have been neat to see, but it also would have spoiled the trick so I get why they didn't do that.
    The future flash of the life he would have had if he didn't change back was really neat too...god it makes me feel so bad for the Doctor, though I did find his one comment very...interesting...when he said everything John Smith could have been he's also capable of....that was just a "hmmm, interesting..." moment there.
    One last thing...apparently the two boys are supposed to be important to Britain's history somehow, at least that's the impression I got from the end there...but my WWI history sucks and I have no idea how or why they're important. Anybody know this one?
    Episode 9 Spoiler: I looked up their names, I couldn't find anything. Anyway, it was an excellent episode, definately one of the best. I want to track down a copy of the book now and see how it compares. Seeing Tim at the end again was a very nice touch.

The way The Doctor dealt with the Family of Blood was a surprise, you see how dangerous he can be. I had wondered why after dealing with enemies like the Daleks, he had to hide from these aliens. It was a good explaination.

Worf
    Spoiler: It was a nearly perfect story. The ending was both touching and yet shocking. As Worf said, his method of dealing with The Family was a side of The Doctor that we have never quite seen and really makes you want to see what it is that he did to end the last time war. Tennant's performance over both parts was exceptional for their entire run. Never once did he waiver, portraying two characters in the one body while managing to make them look, act, and feel like two distinctly different characters. Smith's reaction to his impending death was completely believable every step of the way and made me genuinely interested in his fate.

Oh, and the quality of the music matched that of the writing, the acting...everything else combined. I want it now.
    Sanfam: Spoiler: Of course David never wavered! He's bloody amazing! :D
    Episode 10 Spoiler: So this is one of the episodes where they focus on ordinary people affected by The Doctor's adventures...well kind of. It was pretty good, I prefered it to the one last year with the group of people who were following The Doctor's adventures.

Worf
    10: Spoiler: I've noticed there's a pattern beginning to form. It always seems to be around this point in the series that they have an episode like this. :) This one was particularly well done.
    I loved this one! Spoiler: I thought the Angels were damn creepy, especially at the end when they got more aggressive. The whole DVD transcript thingy was neat and creative. The only question I had with this one was why the TARDIS disappeared around the two of them and didn't take them with it but I suppose there could have been some kind of program put in the DVD that instructed the TARDIS to do this...how or why I have no idea.
    Spoiler: How? No idea. Why? It was probably written down somewhere in the notes that she gave the Doctor, so he knew in advance to let them stay behind because they would be alright.

Worf
    Episode 11 Spoiler: Well that was...brilliant!!

Worf
    Episode 11 Spoiler: I was having the biggest grin possible during most of the episode. Seems that with the new series, the regeneration count of the master was reset, or the 12 regeneration rule has been dropped.

Since the master was living as a human, his tardis could be there and help the Doctor, Martha and Jack return to his tardis...
    Though i wonder what the master's plan (or: (highly original pun) the master-plan) is with trying to take over England/Earth