Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Stargate: Universe concept revealed

Comments

• WORFWORF The Burninator
    I like the concept of SGU but it's let down by only having three characters that are interesting. The others I don't even remember their names.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Chloe is just not interesting in any way. I don't understand why she's being used so often while remaining so underdeveloped. And then there's Ms. Bigtits McGee whose name I cannot remember, but who continues to be the only one consistently framed in such a way as to keep her chest in focus in nearly every shot she's in. It's especially upsetting because I actually [b]like[/b] her character and want to see her exploited less for the actresses' assets and more for her ability to actually act and carry a scene (which she is quite capable of).

I've generally liked it since the pick-up, but the pacing has been odd. I felt the tension was genuinely there when it came to the aliens, but not to the humans (until the gun was pulled on the civilian nobody).

I felt Eli held up his role very well, expressing pretty much everything I felt I would in his shoes. Why can't everyone else be as consistently written as him?

As far as the episode went, it felt like the entire "Rush has an implanted transmitter" bit was missing a lead-in. It felt like a last-minute twist to jeopardize Young, not plot advancement. The way I see it is this: The transmitter should have been discovered in rush first through some ancient scanner or a modification to a Kino or something, and the topic for debate would have been "what to do?" Young would have pondered about it for a while and possibly tried the stones as happened in the conclusion, but first would proceed with removing the outer ship. During this time, Rush would suspect it'd be more likely that he'd be airlocked instead of healed (due to a lack of equipment and trained surgeons) and [b]only then[/b] decide to save his ass and advance the mutiny. The way it turned out made it seem that Rush was just cranky about somethingsomething and lacked anything memorable. The same thing happened with Chloe and Rush. Their conversation was something that [b]should[/b] have been included, not stepped around.

Lots of potential, but with a flawed execution. What's curious about this show is how many of the larger things the writers seem to get right, but how just a few flawed character interactions (or lack therof) manage to dismantle so much of their work. Still, it's a decent show and I'm enjoying it.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I've got the episodes, but not watched them yet since the show started again. Maybe this weekend I'll finally find some time to sit and watch them, although I've just started watching Caprica as well. Still, 4 more weeks and then all my Uni work will be done forever, so I'll definitely have time then :)
    The mystery planet? It was Kobol.

At least, the same location they used for the Kobol scenes in BSG.

Worf
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    They also used it in quite a few SG1 episodes too. The one with O'Neill and Maybourne stuck on a deserted planet for one
    This was the exact same lake they used for the raptor crash site and Adama drowned the baby in Gaius' vision.

Worf
    And SG1's season 4 episode Scorched Earth as well. Either way it sure is a pretty piece of real estate!
    Anyway, I'm now caught up on everything after watching the 3 latest episodes back to back last night in bed. Good times! :D

Not perfect, but I'm definitely left wanting to see more. I agree with much of what Sanfam said, tho I think the way then went about the whole transmitter thing was ok, just lacking enough time to be dealth with properly. It rather felt like two episodes shoehorned into one. I do quite like Chole's character, but I agree she needs a lot of development to match her character's increased use.

My only other complaint was about the most recent episode "Faith". The civvies have tried to take the ship, but aside from a few pointed remarks, it almost doesnt seem like it happened. I get everyone has to work together and they probably dont want to talk about it or forget it happened, but there didnt feel like there was much tension
    I believe [URL="http://www.reallifecomics.com/archive/100412.html"]this[/URL] covers it.
    I do hope we'll be gifted an official soundtrack release, as I rather like the show's score.

Alternate Extraction (Lower quality)
    I hope so too, the music is really good for the most part
    I'm left wishing they had more genuinely episodic stuff, but the mish-mash of stock score has managed to work particularly well for the show. I have, however, heard some exceptional bits here or there, so perhaps there is some hope for a stronger musical presence in season 2?

Edit: It just occurred to me that this clip in particular has stronger relevance to the new show than ever before. Coincidence? I think not!

Also, I found a better quality version of the Air extraction. It's now at the top of the mountain of video.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Aw, dammit Sanfam, now you made me watch through SG-1 again..
    I'm hoping for an SGU soundtrack too. The pilots for SG-1 and Atlantis both got one, so maybe we'll be lucky.

And I believe we have made jokes comparing that clip from 200 to SGU before. But you're right, it's becoming more and more accurate with each episode.
    For the chance to gouge a bit more money out of the fans, I'm sure they will release a soundtrack.
    Incidentally, no one has commented on the first aliens we've seen in the show. I thought they were quite good actually; they were definitely [I]alien[/I] and not just some bloke in a costume.

I also liked how little we got in the way of answers about those aliens, and the aliens who apparently built a star system. We'll probably end up having it hammered into us by blunt force later on, but for now the mystery was quite nice
    The mystery almost makes me want to stop watching at this point.
    Why?
    "We are surrounded on all sides by mysteries, President Sheridan. And mysteries once solved are never quite as interesting." - Galen
    Oh I see what you mean. I think it'll be a while yet before we find out tho
    When this show started, I thought it was okay, not great but interesting enough that I'd keep watching.

The recent episodes have all been excellent, especially todays. Lets hope it continues that way.
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    [SPOILER] This show is definitely improving. And Grear sitting alone at the end of the most recent episode was a very haunting scene... [/SPOILER]
  • PSI-KILLERPSI-KILLER Needs help
    yeap getting better. I think the actors are working better with each other.
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    I think its a fantastic show. Certainly not what would be considered main stream scifi, its certainly a bit more cerebral. I love it though.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Doing some catch-up with this show as well.

So in Episode 11 we get so see some aliens. Not sure why they kept their human captives in those liquid filled tubes, but I guess that's how people expect alien abductions to happen (minus the inappropriate probing). I guess keeping Rush off the ship much longer would have made for a less interesting show. Overall this was quite a nice episode with some lackluster space battles... I mean it almost seemed like neither side quite knew what they were doing. I guess that alien ship was a scientific alien vessel with no combat personnel on board. Pew! Pew! :D

In Episode 12 we get to see more of the ship and as could be expected Rush doesn't play fair for long. This time we get a civilian mutiny on our hands. Not sure how working against each other would have helped them take care of those aliens so this scenario came across as somewhat unrealistic. Scifi writers can be so unreasonable and petty. :D By comparison, the heart surgery to remove the tracking device from Rushes chest using tools from a medkit was incredibly convincing. ;)

Episode 13 is basically a field and camping trip down on some newly created life supporting planet (outside the SGU studios) with a large obelisc on it... allowing the civilian and military crew time to... bond until it was time to leave. So our resident medic is expecting. In all this mayhem there's still time to fornicate with the colonel. Those naughty naughty writers. ;)

Episode 14 has Rush connected to that chair again, that's supposed to interface with the ship's databanks... or something. This episode is actually a flashback that fleshes some more of Rushes life before joining the SG team. The violin music in the background is supposed to raise emotional feelings about the drama in Rushes household (his wife being terminally ill) and all the scratching noise is doing is irritating your ears. The good news is, Rush is human after all. The bad one is, part of the away team gets left behind on some other life sustaining planet (the other side of the SGU studio back lot) in a caved in tunnel of some alien ruins... which is quite a lazy a$$ plot device.

Episode 15 is a Greer episode and his tough upbringing. Funny to see Greer with an afro haircut. :D What's next, bell-bottom pants and disco music? LOL

I suppose those last few episodes could be considered filler episodes... but then it's still good to be back.
    I think we can all agree on that (wrt the Col. Telford thread).

Greer is fine, but he's not alone, there are a handful of interesting characters on the show, Eli, Rush, Young and the ship. :)
    I had forgotten about that plot thread.
    That's what mid-season breaks do to us. We forget.
    Episode 16 deals with quite a few problems simultaneously and neither are particularly interesting nor exciting. In short, this episode is a bit of a let-down.

What seemed like a hopeless situation for the lost away-team at the end op episode 15 is barely dealt with in this episode. They are back and that's that... deal with it, wtf? Why bother making the show at all then if the writers can't be bothered to follow through?
    Yeah, after that big cliffhanger of leaving them behind, they got back way too easy, although in the context of the events, it does make sense.

I did enjoy Rush getting some more character development.

We're back to the creepy people using someone elses body to spend time with their lover theme again :/

But there are some interesting questions that this episode raises:

Will the aliens follow Destiny to the next galaxy?
    What is in that galaxy?
    And what happened to the guy they left in the chair? I wonder if he got absorbed into the ship somehow?

Worf