Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Stargate: Universe concept revealed

Comments

• Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    Stick your rear out!
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    Yikes!

Talk about purging or Explosive Decompression.

PHtttttttttT!
    Just think: your gas could help form a star system!
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    [QUOTE=WORF;184977]I believe that is what the airlock is for.

Worf[/QUOTE]

You are overlooking the obvious. They toppled one of those star gates off camera. :D
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    I hope they put a frame of some sort over it, cause that's one toilet you don't want to fall into.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    I wonder what they did during the day or so the ship had no power to do anything, let alone activate the stargate...

Worf
  • yikes the horror
    Episode 5's was great but the main plot was remarkably silly in that it wanted to let us believe that the writers would have the balls to kill off most of the main cast. That would have made for a very short series indeed. I mean, suspension of disbelief can only be stretched so far. This took away the tension of the moment and made the subsequent scenes of dealing with impending death feel quite hollow.

I like the show quite a bit so I will have to take the good with the bad... only a certified O'Neill one-liner could have saved this one. I guess the thought didn't even cross their mind.

Great soundtrack, visuals and character development though. :)
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Your thinking too much like BSG. This is still Stargate were talking about here.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Stingray;185068]Episode 5's was great but the main plot was remarkably silly in that it wanted to let us believe that the writers would have the balls to kill off most of the main cast. That would have made for a very short series indeed. I mean, suspension of disbelief can only be stretched so far. This took away the tension of the moment and made the subsequent scenes of dealing with impending death feel quite hollow.

I like the show quite a bit so I will have to take the good with the bad... only a certified O'Neill one-liner could have saved this one. I guess the thought didn't even cross their mind.

Great soundtrack, visuals and character development though. :)[/QUOTE]

Perhaps... just perhaps... you [i]weren't[/i] meant to think that they were going to kill off half the main cast? Perhaps, instead, you were meant to wonder how the characters would survive (knowing, as a viewer, that they inevitably would), and to see how they deal with impending death?
    I forgot, RDM isn't at the helm. :D
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    "Water" was kinda average, but the scene at the end with the [SPOILER]alien lifeforms forming a face above Scott was WELL done[/SPOILER].
    Halloween episode, the highlight of which was "Looks like we've entered the Hoth system."

Worf
    Episode 6 was overall a nice job. I never get tired of seeing icy sets. I don't know why. Ice and scifi are just a perfect match.
  • JackNJackN <font color=#99FF99>Lightwave Alien</font>
    missed it... :s
    All I can say is, if you can post here, you can watch the show.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [url=http://www.syfy.com/rewind/]I'll say more.[/url]
    Jack: Hulu.com :P

Ok, I'm getting a little bored with the show. They need to hurry up and get some goal other than just survival. It's all well and good to harp on survival for a couple episodes, but this is getting too long.

We had 3 episodes of air problems, 2 episodes of power problems, 1 episode of water problems.

I want something other than their problems.

Look at Atlantis's opening: They had power problems. So what did they do? They went exploring...and found an enemy that was with them for years. And then they keep going exploring in future episodes, learning more about the enemy while also fixing their problems at the same time.

What does Universe do? They have air problems, and bring back bugs. Then they have power problems. Then they have water problems. Meanwhile they have personnel problems and command problems and Rush problems and... Go find an enemy to fight or a ruin to explore of something to grab the interest of the viewers! There is no continuity of threat, and with the ship flying from galaxy to galaxy, no expectation of a threat powerful enough to catch them. Sure, there might be, but right now, anything that can catch them, the ship doesn't exactly have skills to defend against. There is too little understanding of the ship, and too many "problems" which while valid, are boring, and seem forced. You have a giant intergalatic ship - there has got to be something interesting on board to discover!
    We still have 14 episodes worth of problems for them to deal with, lets see what we can come up with.

Food
    Ammo
    People (maybe in the season finale they run out of red shirts)
    Toilet paper (possibly an even greater problem than the one above)
    Clothes (they've been wearing the same outfits for what must be a week at least so far)

Make each one of those a two part story and thats half a season :)

Worf
    Don't forget "Fans" as something for them to run out of and solve :D
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    They've only been on the ship for a handful of days tho, its only to us viewers its taking forever for anything to happen. I think it will seem a lot more continuous when we can sit back and watch the season as a whole.

RC: Actually I am quite liking the fact that there is no 'uber villain' that they've bumped up against. Ok it maybe makes for slightly less excitement at the start, but for me it adds to the sense of drama. Besides, given that the whole 'crew' are made up of the wrong people, if they had come up against a Big Baddie then I dont think there is any way that they could have come out of it without either losing loads of people (curtailing directions they could later go) or they survive because of a shit load of luck, which then detracts from the believability of them being the wrong people.

...if that makes sense
    I believe they also said they wanted to get away from formal-speaking rustic people and bumpy forehead aliens, which will limit their options on Universe in terms of the regular space-opera alien-types. Which isn't to say that we're never going to run into some displaced humans or bumpy foreheads. Remember, this is the crew that answered the question "Is Carson Beckett coming back for real, not as an illusion or alternate universe double or something?" with "Yes, exactly, he's coming back for real, and not any of the other things you said" because "clone," while implied in "or something," wasn't explicitly stated. And everyone felt lied to, when they were actually just bullshitted.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    [QUOTE=WORF;185094]"Looks like we've entered the Hoth system."[/QUOTE]
    Heh yes that did make my really laugh! :D
    Same :D
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    [QUOTE=David of Mac;185128]Remember, this is the crew that answered the question "Is Carson Beckett coming back for real, not as an illusion or alternate universe double or something?" with "Yes, exactly, he's coming back for real, and not any of the other things you said" because "clone," while implied in "or something," wasn't explicitly stated. And everyone felt lied to, when they were actually just bullshitted.[/QUOTE]

It's worth mentioning that only one of the writers is responsible for that, and he's been relegated to only a few episodes in the entire season while the best and brightest are tackling the rest of the show. And quite well, I feel I should add.
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    Didnt really enjoy the water episode..too similar to the desert episode...
  • SpiritOneSpiritOne Magneto ABQ NM
    I dont think they were intending to be funny, but the first time they had "issues" with the communications stones tonight, I laughed my but off. Didn't see Talfort being that vindictive at the end though.
    I liked the episode Earth. Have to say: I am getting a little confused over who is who when different people can inhabit each body.
    It's easier to keep straight with the regulars. It's hard when a nameless extra gets swapped aboard the Destiny and you have to remember that he's in Eli's body and isn't just another guy who's really on the ship (especially once he changed out of Eli's distinctive outfit).
    I wonder how they make sure the right gender gets into the correct body. Could make for some very awkward changes.