Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

For the Wing Commander fans

Comments

• ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    I've read some of it Entil'Zha, and that was great reading so hopefully it keeps coming!
  • Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    And it looks like we'll have a couple years of in world storyline before the game ever gets released.
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    For those of you who haven't played Wing Commander or would like to replay them, GoG is having a 60% off EA games sale this weekend. That includes Wing Commander 1-4 and the first Privateer game :)

[URL="http://www.gog.com/en/promo/ea_weekend_promo_02_11_12"]Link[/URL]
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Yep, I was just about to take advantage of that offer :D
    What, no WC: Prophecy???
    GoG don't have that one yet.
    I know, i bought them all, Lol
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    I haven't played all those games in a very long time. Have they been updated a bit or do we have to suffer through low resolution visuals? I dare not to look at them as I don't want to destroy my fond memories. ;)
    Ah turns out I'd already bought them all already! So I bought SimCity 2000 and Alpha Centauri instead :)
  • Anyone know if the Wing Commanders 1+2 on GoG include the Secret Missions and Special Ops packs?
    They include the Secret Missions for the first game but not the second, for some reason.
  • Ahhh... But the Morningstar!

(That is the right name for Maniac's nuclear equipped death plane right?
    Graphics never really looked like that... Did they? I remember it being much better,
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Chris Roberts gave an interesting interview with Ars Technica. I like his idea of how games should be developed.

[url]http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/11/star-citizens-chris-roberts-discusses-upping-the-ante-on-pc-gaming/[/url]
    I'd rather have CR stay away from the Wing Commander IP, that way he can build whatever universe he wants to. To be honest, I wasn't too crazy about that cat people race... not that it mattered back then, because you were firing at ships. When I picture aliens, felines don't exactly come to my mind. :D

[URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20165344"]And look who just woke up...[/URL]

I'm not taking credit for that, but I posted a link to Star Citizen a few weeks ago on the Frontier forum anyway just to get them thinking about it, and here is their [URL="http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous?ref=live"]KickStarter page.[/URL] :D

Just doing my part. It's not much, but somebody's gotta do it. ;)
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Elite has already been remade numerous times. The remakes all start with "X." :p
    [QUOTE=Biggles;196462]Elite has already been remade numerous times. The remakes all start with "X." :p[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know, they have been keeping Elite fans afloat until now. ;)

This canned, yet beautiful series of space games isn't what got me interested into computing and academic trouble though. Elite Frontier 2 did. :D
    They have made it to $3.1 million now, which has unlocked some additional content in their stretchgoals. With 9 days to go, I wonder if they will make it to $4m?
    And over £400,000 for Elite: Dangerous. Quite amazing indeed. :)
    And over £400,000 for Elite: Dangerous. Quite amazing indeed. :)
    So hopefully that's 2 good games coming our way then! Have to say there's not really many games out in the meantime that I'm looking forward to
    They've added a few screenshots on the Elite: Dangerous KS page, as far as I can see, they don't plan on veering too much off the formula, but improve it on just about every level. The game was great back then, it just needed to be fleshed out more and allow for customization. It doesn't look like Braben will allow for much user input though. Still, he has a good grasp of what makes a fun game. I am hopeful that this will be the game update we've been waiting for so long. :)

[QUOTE]BusinessMonkey: @Chris: What’s your opinion on the Elite series now also getting crowdfunded, through kickstarter?

Christopher Roberts: BusinessMonkey: I played Elite in 1984 on my BBC Micro… I was a big fan.. And know David Braben. I’ve actually backed it with 300 pounds.[/QUOTE]

:cool:
    Some gameplay footage was released :)

Its not very exciting but it shows the actual game rather than cut scenes.

[URL="http://vimeo.com/53321312"]Link[/URL]
    Looks nice, reminds me of Freelancer. I wonder if you will be able to use the mouse instead of a stick in SC. ;)

I also pledged for Elite: Dangerous, I now have two projects that I will be keeping an eye on. I like the idea that they will use your name in the game's database to give NPC's random names. I only pledged as much as I could spare, keeping in mind that I will have to purchase new hardware.

Even with all this procedural trickery, I doubt the game will fit on a single floppy disk this time around. :D

Funny thing is, people are complaining about the name also for Elite: Dangerous. They should be happy that the game is being remade, and they argue about the name.
    No, it will take two floppy disks this time :)

Star Citizen has reached another stretchgoal (they haven't updated the site to reflect it yet) with $3.5m. With luck they will make it to $4m in the next few days so we get the features that promises....like mod tools :)
    Many modders are eager to get their hands on the specs and later on the tools to get busy building ships and such. I am curious to see how these mods are going to be managed, because as far as I understand it, there is no provision for you to upload your stuff on their servers so it gets pushed to everyone else as this would create too much network traffic at this time.
    Those modders should be in luck then, currently at $3,820,944 and they raised about $300k yesterday. I suspect it will reach $4m before the final 3 days are up :)
    $3,939,153 and there are still more than 48 hours to go. Wow!! :cool:

I've been warming up my 3D modeling skills the last couple of days just to get into the spirit of things. ;) Looks like we'll get those mod tools as well. There are already some people getting organized in the RSI forum. I hope they'll update their forum software soon because it pretty much sucks right now. Anyway, things couldn't look any better. :)
    $4 million passed!

And they've added the $4.5 million stretch goals. The way it's going, I imagine they'll probably make it it to that as well.
    Sweet!! At this pace we'll get Mark Hamill to do some voice-acting. ;)