Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Stargate: Universe concept revealed

Comments

• WORFWORF The Burninator
    He was perfectly cast as the young Obi-Wan in the Star Wars prequels too.

Worf
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Yep, McGregor is awesome, and he can sing, so will Stargate: Universe be a musical series then?
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    It might be, [B][I]if[/I][/B] Ewan McGregor was in it :p
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    Let me take the opportunity to apologize right here for any rumor I may have inadvertently started.
    So, who more apart from McGregor is in it then? I heard Madonna will show up in the pilot.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Dick Van Dyke is rumoured to be in the musical number at the start
  • Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    If Dicks going to be in it then his son is bound to bag a spot as well :D

Watching "A Long Way Round" and a "Long Way Down" I grew to like Ewan. He seems like a good laugh and a bit of a prankster.
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    But Ewan is not in it... yet. :D
    At this rate he will :p Actually his buddy Charlie Boorman is giving a talk at my uni soon. I could tell him to tell Ewan to speak to Robert about getting a part :D
    Just tell him that we know hes in it. Muahaha! The secret is out!
    Apparently there's a 30second preview being shown tonight during one of the breaks in the BSG finale
    They had to go and ruin the BSG finale, didn't they?

Worf
    Ah Worf give em a break :D :p I'd have thought they'd be showing something of Caprica and not plug another show. Oh well.
    [URL="http://www.gateworld.net/news/2009/03/watch-the-first-stargate-universe-preview/"]Here's[/URL] the preview video. I admit you can't really tell much from it, but it definitely doesn't feel like the previous series.
    Huh, Exan McGregor wasnt even in it, they should have a chat with their PR department, not showing him off in the preview is a bad decision IMO.

Oh, and anyone else have a "Battlestar Galactica" ripoff feeling off it?
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    [QUOTE=Messiah;180431]Huh, Exan McGregor wasnt even in it, they should have a chat with their PR department, not showing him off in the preview is a bad decision IMO.[/QUOTE]
    Who are you talking about?
    ewan mcgregor isn't in SGU (both Robert Carlyle and Lou Diamond Phillips, who are arguably the most famous of the SGU-actors, are both in this teaser)
    You need to read the previous page RubberEagle ;)
    The first [URL="http://www.gateworld.net/video/newsandfeatures/1248429391.shtml"]trailer[/URL] for Universe has been released. I still have reservations, but the trailer does look pretty good.
  • EclecticonautEclecticonaut Elite Ranger
    Well, the special effects look pretty good, but this is clearly made for adolescents with an undeveloped sense of humor&drama...
  • MundaneMundane Elite Ranger
    Felt like it is made for a "younger audience" somehow. And the SyFy logo just feels totally wrong....
    Heh, I thought we were discussing Stargate Worlds for some reason.

I see they still havent revealed Ewan McGregor either, whats taking them so long?
    They probably want build up the suspense before the big reveal ;)
  • Lord RefaLord Refa Creepy, but in a good way
    Stargate Universe

[url]http://io9.com/5322246/sgu-darker-but-still-stargate-plus-new-longer-trailer[/url]

Yea.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Coming soon: [i]Stargate Voyager: The Teen Years[/i]! Only on Siffy!
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    I doubt that. Trailers are so misleading.
    Battlestargate Voyager: The Teen Years!
  • PSI-KILLERPSI-KILLER Needs help
    that fat italian kid will be anouther wesley crusher.
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Forget the kid. RDA looks fat.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    [QUOTE=Sanfam;171883]The biggest problem I've noticed with the show is that Joe Mallozzi just plain isn't good at making interesting characters. Hit plots and initial set-ups can be fairly neat, but then in come the characters to dull everything down just in time for a twist-filled conclusion. I miss the RDA supervision era.[/QUOTE]

I feel I must follow up on this with some new thoughts. Once I realized the show was being helmed by Robert Cooper and Brad Wright, I immediately felt more confident that the show will most likely show significantly greater levels of quality and care for solidly paced character advancement. The hallmarks of Cooper/Wright works have been balanced used of cast member and character abilities combined with slickly executed, original storytelling. While there have been exceptions, this is in stark contrast to the post-RDM era of the show when it revolved around two or so characters with illogical plot turns, inconsistent attitudes, and outright unsound decisions made by characters for the sake of action and drama.

Unfortunately, it looks like Mallozzi has been given all of the two-parters for this show, meaning they will no doubt be underwhelming and a negative draw on the rest of the program. I'm hoping this will be minimized by having effective oversight, as his earlier developments in Stargate: SG-1 were positive and well-handled.

I actually like this trailer (right until it hits the poppy music)
    RDA has been gaining a few pounds since leaving SG1. Retirement has obviously been good to him :p

Thats a good trailer alright. Effects look great. Agree with Sanfam, was good until the teen rock track kicked in. Hope thats not a sign of things to come.