Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

For the Wing Commander fans

Comments

• Entil'ZhaEntil'Zha I see famous people
    Yes its pretty, But, what will the actual gameplay be like! (maybe it was in the video, i didn't watch the whole thing) If the gameplay is right, this could be awesome, I was just saying to my wife the other day how much I miss XvT and Wing Commander. So a good space combat sim/RPG/MMORPG... would be heaven...
  • FreejackFreejack Jake the Not-so-Wise
    [QUOTE=croxis;196202]/me spreads his legs[/QUOTE]

Um, that wasn't exactly what I had in mind...

[QUOTE=Entil'Zha;196204]Yes its pretty, But, what will the actual gameplay be like! (maybe it was in the video, i didn't watch the whole thing) If the gameplay is right, this could be awesome, I was just saying to my wife the other day how much I miss XvT and Wing Commander. So a good space combat sim/RPG/MMORPG... would be heaven...[/QUOTE]

The video mainly was exterior shots showing off the graphics, there were some cockpit shots that definitely had the feel of WC, but no gameplay shots. It also appeared that the physics were aero-based in keeping with classic WC.

Jake
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Stingray;196192]I'm not too hot about that either, but you can play single-player off-line. ;) But then anything is possible at this stage. I guess even Roberts can't get by without a little hype. :)[/QUOTE]

Just a little? So far he's beating even Peter Molyneux. :D
  • StingrayStingray Elite Ranger
    I can't say I can follow what you are alluding at, I haven't really played (m)any of his games much, but I know that he's been indeed having a long love affair with the gaming media since he is listed among the Olympian short list of gaming gods that used to keep the press occupied over the last two decades. He sure liked his games a lot. ;)
    I tossed a donation their way, Figure what the hell, for a free copy of the game & Alpha/Beta access, it's worth it. Course, i suppose i'll have to pony up the cash for a new computer... My alienware's already 3 years old!
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Yeah I'm thinking I need to seriously upgrade my PC first, and this is definitely a good excuse to do so :D
  • WORFWORF The Burninator
    There's a lot of actual gameplay footage in the hour long [URL="http://uk.gamespot.com/shows/gamespot-live/?event=roberts_space_industries_gdc_panel20121010"]presentation[/URL].

It seems to be the same scenario that was in the trailer except he's actually playing it and showing off the walking around the carrier and flying one of the fighters.
    Yep, the price of admission is actually more than the price of the game. I'm also in need of an upgrade, nothing has changed for PC gamers. The numbers of games worth upgrading for has dropped significantly though. We still have some time and Windows 8 to get used to. :D
    Computer upgrades were pretty much essential for every new Wing Commander game.
    I'm hoping i may be able to just upgrade this machine, It needs new video thats for sure, it's got a pair of GTS-250's in it now 9 gigs of ram, and one of the first generation i7's, if nothing else i should be able to salvage the case and it's liquid cooing and just pop anew mobo in, I can't find anywhere online with any decent info about how far this motherboard can be upgraded. but i've got 2 years to figure it out, lol
  • Random ChaosRandom Chaos Actually Carefully-selected Order in disguise
    I am just hoping for a Mac version :)
    The game is based on the [URL="http://www.crytek.com/cryengine/cryengine3/overview"]CryEngine3 technology from Crytek[/URL], so I don't know how far it can be ported to Mac OS. I suppose if enough people ask for it, there is a possibility, but I haven't seen Mac OS versions of games made by Crytek yet. I have yet to play my first game on a Mac.

Right now I have no idea what hardware is necessary to even participate in the beta testing phase. Either way, it's going to be an interesting ride.

[QUOTE]"We currently stand at $455, 590 raised from 4,564 pledges which is pretty impressive considering the outage we’ve had."[/QUOTE]
    You could always install Windows on your mac... just sayin :)
  • Well, reason for me to upgrade next year. :)
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    /me starts coding faster
    Code faster, i hear Banjos
    Entil'zha: It takes me about 10 minutes to shut down my computer, and another 30 to start it up and get all the apps running again. There is a reason I have 20GBs of memory - because I so greatly abuse my system with way too much running at once :p

So no, rebooting into Windows isn't an option :) - and I doubt it will work in a VM.

My only hope is that a native emulator (wine-esque) works if they don't port it.
    There is also [URL="http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/"]Parallels[/URL], which allows you to run Windows apps next to Mac OS. No reboot necessary. Not sure you'll want to run anything else though while the game is running, or you'll be able to use your mac as a stove. :D
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE=Stingray;196246]There is also Parallels, which allows you to run Windows apps next to Mac OS. No reboot necessary.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Random Chaos;196241]I doubt it will work in a VM.[/QUOTE]

As good as the 3D performance of Parallels is, it typically cannot run the most recent high-performance games.
    As you can imagine the Linux community is also raising some noise in the RSI forum, some actually would go so far and pay quite shockingly, real money for the game. :D Pay for work, something completely unheard of and totally revolutionary, almost heretic. :D

I used to think that VMs were real slow too, and they were in Windows, but that is just not the case in Linux. If it runs fine in Windows, it will run on anything else. It's just a matter of giving time and money to those who are able and willing. Again Chris Roberts mentioned proper optimization would make this possible for a game of this scale and a sweet broadband connection won't hurt either.

As for now, his team needs to stay focused and not get bogged down by all the possibilities and loose sight of the goal to get the game going and into our shweaty hands. ;)
    Yeah, I use both Parallels and VMWare, and both suck as far as 3d gaming is concerned. I've got two a high end 3d cards (about a year old now), but they can only push so much through to the VM side. The biggest problem is that the video memory has to be split between the host OS and the VM, meaning neither gets enough memory to really do good things. You either drop the memory level to optimize host gaming, or you push about 50% through to the VM to get the best VM gaming (any more than 50% and the entire system starts bogging down). It's too bad that video memory cannot be dynamically allocated between the host and the VM.

As for Linux in a VM, works pretty well for most uses. But I have no idea what the 3d performance is.
    Who knows what will be available 2-3 years from now. There are people who play Skyrim in Ubuntu using Wine. It all depends on whether you use a GPU that is properly supported or not. nVidia yes, ATI not as much. But I never, ever had the proper hardware at the right time. Why would it be any different now? ;)
    Yeah, Skyrim runs on OSX under it's Wine port. It's too bad the company didn't release a version that embedded wine into it for no-configuration running :)
    The website is back up and running. Incase it goes down again, they are currently at $654,555 from 6,777 people :)
    All that in such a short time, I guess his reputation and the demo did get people quite excited.

The SC project is very ambitious and yet is long overdue. Another thing that sounds great about it is how you are supposed to be able to contribute. I am curious to see how they plan on dealing with user created content, like starships and such, considering the level of detail involved it certainly places the bar of requirements quite high.
  • ShadowDancerShadowDancer When I say, "Why aye, gadgie," in my heart I say, "Och aye, laddie." London, UK
    Indeed, the user content is definitely one of the more interesting aspects of the game. I'm just not creative enough, but I know there are lots of people out there who are, so it'll be interesting to see what direction this goes
    I am curious how that's going to work. Will it only be for people who know how to create 3D models or will it be more like KSP, where you slot various ship components together to get the shape you want?

Ideally, it would do both.
    I'm sure the Tardis doesn't need to be modeled anymore. :D
  • FreezeFreeze Disguised as a Trainee
    Hello, folks!

Just threw in 40 USD in order to receive my flight ticket. Wonder if they'll give a forklift 'Fury ... just for old times sake. :D
    Yep, it's obvious the entire B5 fleet would fit in niceless for sure. ;)