Issues with your account? Bug us in the chatroom at http://webchat.freenode.net?channels=#firstones

Babylon 5: Combat Sim - Music CD?

DarkbladeDarkblade Earthforce Officer
Strange...

"This is an extremely rare soundtrack of the unreleased game "Babylon 5: Into The Fire". Only five copies of this CD were made."

I found this soundtrack at one place and I'm listening it right now. Even if I have only listened 50 % of the first track, which seems to be Battle Sequence A with a lot of new material, I have to say that if the game wouldn't have been enough then I would have bought B5:ItF only because of Chris Frankes score.

It is a damn shame if this soundtrack isn't even released officially. :(

[edit] Soundtrack seems to contain five tracks which are a bit over 10 minutes long.
«13456714

Comments

  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    !!! Do you now own it?
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    i think we should rip that cd and host it on this site. :D
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Do it now!

    NOW!!!
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I know I'm really not supposed to say this, as it's promoting piracy...

    But please, for the love of all that is holy and the B5 fanbase...rip that CD!!!
  • RhettRhett (Not even a monkey)
    If you have it you must rip it now!!
  • You can get most of the tracks at [URL=http://www.third-space.net/]http://www.third-space.net/[/URL].
  • DarkbladeDarkblade Earthforce Officer
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by dpisano [/i]
    [B]You can get most of the tracks at [URL=http://www.third-space.net/]http://www.third-space.net/[/URL]. [/B][/QUOTE]

    Yep... most of the tracks but these tracks aren't even there. Those are just regular Battle Sequences... these are some kind of extended ones.

    [b]Battle Themes Track 1[/b] - Battle Sequence A with lots of new material. 11:22 minutes long.
    [b]Battle Themes Track 2[/b] - Battle Sequence B ([i]I first didn't recognize this at all since those familiar clips were scattered around this track[/i]) with lots of new material too. 11:23 minutes long
    [b]Battle Themes Track 3[/b] - Battle Sequence D with new material. 11:23 minutes long
    [b]Battle Themes Track 4[/b] - Battle Sequences E and F with new material. 11:17 minutes long.
    [b]Battle Themes Track 5[/b] - Babylon 5 Game Preview Track ([i]some of you may remember this. The oldest sample clip from the game[/i]) and Battle Sequence C with lots of new material. 11:24 minutes long.

    [quote][i]Originally posted by croxis [/i]
    [b]!!! Do you now own it?[/b][/quote]

    No... I do not own this cd. I got it from a friend... :)

    [quote][i]Originally posted by Rogue Trader [/i]
    [b]i think we should rip that cd and host it on this site. :D[/b][/quote]

    I have it ripped on my computer right now in 320 kbps mp3, ID3v1/v2 tagged. Every track is about 20 mb's each and I have no space to upload it... :(

    [quote][i]Originally posted by Sanfam [/i]
    [b] know I'm really not supposed to say this, as it's promoting piracy...

    But please, for the love of all that is holy and the B5 fanbase...rip that CD!!![/b][/quote]

    If you give me some space to upload it, I'd gladly do it. :)
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    the cd doesnt really exist so how is it piracy?!?!?

    come on, let us get it please!
  • C_MonC_Mon A Genuine Sucker
    YES! Now sanfam or Striker only got to give him some space to upload it to!
  • Mr. FuryMr. Fury Earthforce Officer
    Yup, I can confirm that those are extended ITF Battle Sequences.
    [rest of the message edited 'cause we're waiting for Franke to respond]
  • AOahahahahaa :eek:
    Me wants!
  • DarkbladeDarkblade Earthforce Officer
    Mr. Fury will upload the tracks to "his website". I assume that he will notify you when he is done.

    And no... don't give us any When It's Done jokes here. ;)

    [edit] Seems that I have to upload the tracks to The Babylon Project FTP in a unprotected address. Mr. Fury's website has a 50 mb limit these days. :(
  • DarkbladeDarkblade Earthforce Officer
    I will be waiting for an answer from admins for this one. The tracks have been uploaded but... I will not make the URL public until it has been put on a better place or admins say that it doesn't bother them, as this may be promoting piracy.

    But I don't see any problems here... ItF will never (?) be released so why couldn't we enjoy at least Franke's excellent score for the game? Everyone wouldn't agree with this one but this is what I think.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Ok. Well, here's what I'm going to do.

    1) Contact Christopher Franke.

    2) In this, I'm going to see if there is any way we could get a *legal* release worked out. If we can, then....man oh man...
  • DarkbladeDarkblade Earthforce Officer
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sanfam [/i]
    [B]Ok. Well, here's what I'm going to do.

    1) Contact Christopher Franke.

    2) In this, I'm going to see if there is any way we could get a *legal* release worked out. If we can, then....man oh man... [/B][/QUOTE]

    You do that... I would want Chris Frankes opinion about this as well. A legal release is what everyone would want... then there wouldn't be any issues with Sierra/Vivendi/Havas, Warner Bros, Sonic Images or Sector 14 Studios afterwards.

    But if Franke doesn't want them to be released then it would be a shame to see such masterpieces to be forgotten completely. :(
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    again look at it how many people would really want it?

    the 2000 members here? not many more beyond that i would assume.

    except for the rest of the b5 community but they dont count :D
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Ok. I can't write this...year.

    Who wants to either help me formulate, or just outright create a letter themselves? :D
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    How's this?

    [quote]
    Mr. Franke:

    Greetings from the FirstOnes community!

    One of our members recently came into possession of what is purported to be an extremely rare CD showcasing the music you and the Berlin Symphonic Film Orchestra created for the Babylon 5 combat sim that Sierra cancelled back in 1999. Though we have long had access to the tracks that were made available in Yamaha's LiquidAudio format, this CD seems to hold far more music that we haven't heard before. Those of us who have heard the LiquidAudio tracks believe it to be some of the best music ever done for Babylon 5, and would like to see the rest of it made available.

    Would it be acceptable to you if we were to release these new tracks to the general public? If not, is there some other arrangement that can be made to release these tracks, such that you and the other musicians involved can receive some compensation for them, perhaps in the form of a new CD release?

    Whatever your wishes are, we will respect them; we ask only that some arrangement be made whereby we can hear these tracks.

    Thank you for your time,
    - Members and Lurkers of FirstOnes
    [/quote]
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    that sounds good by me!
  • Mail to Mr Franke

    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Bekenn [/i]
    [B]How's this? [/B][/QUOTE]Sounds fine. :) All the important facts are included though your mail could bring Mr Franke to the idea with the CD (instead of just giving the permission for the public release).

    Nevertheless on your stead I would send the mail in this form.
  • croxiscroxis I am the walrus
    Why not just releace the individual sections as well. Someone could then write a program that qould sequence the music similar to hwo the game did....
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    It's an interesting idea, croxis, but not very marketable if Chris Franke decides he wants, oh, say, [i]payment[/i] for his excellent work. If, on the other hand, he's feeling charitable enough to give us free reign on this stuff, then I personally would rather not push it by asking for the individual segments, which would only be immediately useful to game makers (although... an idea comes to mind for a special ITF music player, similar to Winamp, only the music is dynamically generated as it would have been in-game and just goes on forever... damn, but that would be awesome).

    Sanfam: If you like that letter, go ahead and use it or some derivative thereof; I want to see this thing go through as quickly as possible.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by croxis [/i]
    [B]Why not just releace the individual sections as well. Someone could then write a program that qould sequence the music similar to hwo the game did.... [/B][/QUOTE]

    I have half of such a system. I got distracted while developing it and moved onto something else, as usually happens. :)
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    Well, I left a voicemail, but because I suck at leaving spontaneous voicemail messages, I think I may have driven Mr. Franke and/or his legal team insane. If anything comes of this, I'll post the updates ASAP.
  • David of MacDavid of Mac Elite Ranger Ca
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by croxis [/i]
    [B]Why not just releace the individual sections as well. Someone could then write a program that qould sequence the music similar to hwo the game did.... [/B][/QUOTE]

    You know, I would love that. See, because I have difficulty putting music into animations. Either I choreograph it beforehand, and get bored halfway through rendering it, or I make it all, and then find I have nothing that will actually fit. If I could just pick a theme, and then plot out all the points where the music is sad, happy, noble, tense, beautiful, and so on, hit a button, and have five or six potential scores spit out at me, well, I might actually put one of my animations up on the internet. And given the amount I'm sitting on, that would be something.

    Wait a minute, I've got a few I could put up right now, all scored and everything. You may want to check out the art forum in a few days, if I remember to compress and upload them.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sanfam [/i]
    [B]Well, I left a voicemail, but because I suck at leaving spontaneous voicemail messages, I think I may have driven Mr. Franke and/or his legal team insane. If anything comes of this, I'll post the updates ASAP. [/B][/QUOTE]

    Okay.

    So what if [i]nothing[/i] comes of it? Given that an attempt was made to get permission, and there was no response, do we then see that as tacit approval of whatever release plans we make?

    Hey, sounds like a good idea to me....
  • Mr. FuryMr. Fury Earthforce Officer
    Bekenn, as my email does not seem to get through to you. The answer to your question is that I want to see what Franke says about this first.
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by David of Mac [/i]
    [B]You know, I would love that. See, because I have difficulty putting music into animations. Either I choreograph it beforehand, and get bored halfway through rendering it, or I make it all, and then find I have nothing that will actually fit. If I could just pick a theme, and then plot out all the points where the music is sad, happy, noble, tense, beautiful, and so on, hit a button, and have five or six potential scores spit out at me, well, I might actually put one of my animations up on the internet. And given the amount I'm sitting on, that would be something.

    Wait a minute, I've got a few I could put up right now, all scored and everything. You may want to check out the art forum in a few days, if I remember to compress and upload them. [/B][/QUOTE]

    Maybe I should get around to finishing my system then. :)
  • Rogue TraderRogue Trader Somebody stop him...
    ya you should finish what you started :p
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mr. Fury [/i]
    [B]Bekenn, as my email does not seem to get through to you. The answer to your question is that I want to see what Franke says about this first. [/B][/QUOTE]

    Agreed. Also, it turns out that the address in my profile was out-of-date; I've since fixed it. Sorry about that....

    Well, today I had an opportunity to speak with JMS about this in person at a comic signing in Sherman Oaks; mostly, I just asked how best we could get in contact with Chris Franke. He said that his sonicimages address should do just fine.
Sign In or Register to comment.