Issues with your account? Bug us in the Discord!

Babylon 5: Combat Sim - Music CD?

Comments

• Falcon1Falcon1 Elite Ranger
    Well there must be a reason behind the silence, given that they usually respond quite quickly to most questions.

So who do you think should send the email from us?

Rick if your about let us know what your plan is if your still offering to email CF.

Biggles/Sanfam... any of you guys know the people behind the Lurkers Guide? We'll need an official rep to get in touch with them about our plans. Any suggestions?
  • BigglesBiggles <font color=#AAFFAA>The Man Without a Face</font>
    Unfortunately, I don't know anyone at the Lurker's Guide.
    Okey dokey... Sanfam???

The reason I'm asking you guys is that it would be better having an email coming from one of the Moderators, i.e. a person of authority within the community. I think an email from an ordinary member would not carry as much clout.

Btw Gopher mentioned above that we could contact Steven Grimm aka koreth at the Lurkers guide. Hey Gopher have you got an email address for him?
  • GopherGopher Earthforce Officer
    email address for Koreth

Hi Falcon1,

His email address is [email]koreth@midwinter.com[/email].

HTH

Gopher
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by E.T [/i]
    [B]So increase in quality is the [b]last[/b] thing what decoding it to wav and then encoding to other format would do. [/B][/QUOTE]

Also sorry for taking so long to reply. I was under the mistaken impression that Darkblade or Mr. Fury had access to the physical CD and my suggestion was to rip and encode to Monkey's Audio directly from the CD. Just so you know, the reason I suggested Monkey's Audio is because it is a lossless audio codec. My mistake for the confusion.

Just tossing suggestions - in the mean time, has anyone the capability and/or desire of converting the MP3 something like a one-time play WMA file just so we can hear what they sound like? It doesn't have to be the best quality either just something to hear it - good idea or bad idea?
  • well...

Well how is everything going for everone?

Sorry if I've been a pest.
  • SanfamSanfam I like clocks.
    I've recieved nothing, myself. I would assume Falcon would have posted if he recieved anything.
    Also, heh. I wasn't here for the new year, so sorry about that!

I think the approach you suggested is the best tactic we presently have. sheer volume is always a good attention getter :D
  • HuntSmackerHuntSmacker Firstones Ambassador to Starcraftia
    Something I just realised - Has everyone else (realised) some of this music was used in Legend of the Rangers? It's possible there are certain copyright issues involved because of that, aswell...
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by HuntSmacker [/i]
    [B]Something I just realised - Has everyone else (realised) some of this music was used in Legend of the Rangers? It's possible there are certain copyright issues involved because of that, aswell... [/B][/QUOTE]
    Well, that depends on how chris franke's contract looked like...
    If i'm not mistaken (if i am, please correct me), when he did the music for ItF, it didn't become the property of Sierra, but remained his.
  • RickRick Sector 14 Studios
    I'll give it a shot, and let you know what comes of it.

-R.
    No worries on the LotR causing problems. It should be a Warner/SI issue.

-R.
  • E.TE.T Quote-o-matic
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rick [/i]
    [B]I'll give it a shot, and let you know what comes of it.[/B][/QUOTE]
    I hope this time it works.

I would love to have that music soon.
  • BekennBekenn Sinclair's Duck
    Same here. In fact, I think it's more appropriate to say I hate not having that music now.
    Excellent stuff Rick! :) Much appreciated!

Ok guys here's what I sent to Sonic Images last time round:

Greetings Mr Franke,

I am writing to you on behalf of the Babylon 5 web community, FirstOnes.com. One of our members posted a topic on our forum_in October stating that he had come across a very rare cd of unreleased music from the cancelled Babylon 5: Into the Fire computer game, music done by yourself. After some digging we found that these tracks are different to the ones that were made available in Yamaha's LiquidAudio format on your website._This find has excited all members of our community as we all love your music, especially the material that was done for the game. We decided it would be a good idea to get in touch with you to enquire about the existence of this cd and if it was ever considered for public release. Some have suggested the cd be ripped to mp3 format and distributed but we don't want to do this as its illegal and we want to make sure you get the proper recognition for your talents (which we all agree are superb!).

We have instructed the person with the cd not to distribute it (i.e._not to put it on such peer to peer services like Kazza) until we hear what you have to say on the matter._Could we release the cd? Or would you be interested in releasing it yourself through your own label? Of course we don't know what the legal situation is regarding rights to the music etc, or of the financial costs towards such a release,_but we're all willing to pay if it were released to the public.

I hope you can instruct us on what can be done. Whatever the outcome, we will respect your wishes.

Thanks for your time,

Niall Julian

on behalf of the members of FirstOnes.com

Should send this again? If you guys have any suggestions or changes that I should make let me know. If its ok I'll send it off ASAP.
  • MessiahMessiah Failed Experiment
    Nicely written.
    One slight conflict with reality:

Nobody here has the CD; only the tracks, already in MP3 format.
    no. One person has the CD. That's how this thread started :D
    [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mr. Fury [/i]
    [B]Neither I or Darkblade have the CD itself. We both downloaded the mp3's which were ripped off from the CD. Not even the CD image is downloadable as far as I know, just the mp3's. These are 320 kbps mp3's. Five tracks, each ~26 MB and around 11:25 long.

Meaning, you won't get the tracks in better quality. Unless you somehow manage to find the original CD. [/B][/QUOTE]

Have you been reading, Sanfam?
    Brain fart! My error, thanks for the correction :)
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Falcon1 [/i]
    [B]Excellent stuff Rick! :) Much appreciated!

Ok guys here's what I sent to Sonic Images last time round:

Greetings Mr Franke,
    Should send this again? If you guys have any suggestions or changes that I should make let me know. If its ok I'll send it off ASAP. [/B][/QUOTE]

Barring the one correction, it sounds good to me.
    Ok guys I've email Sonic Images again. I tried first sending it to Chris Franke himself and the PR Dept but it bounced back with an error saying both addresses didn't exist. So I've just sent it to the general Sonic Images address.

I've also sent an email to Steven Grimm over at the Lurkers guide asking if he'd like to help us.

Rick have you heard anything yet?

As soon as I get any replys I'll let you guys know.
    Not yet, but the message only went out recently. If I'm unable to get a reply, I'll pass the request on to "a higher authority."

This is one of those cases where I can't make promises on a result...just the effort.

FYI: I also mentioned the possibility of posting them to iTunes and LiquidAudio. I figured that may be a way all parties could be happy, if he desired residuals from the work.

-R.
    Yeah we have to be patient with this one alright. Easy to get impatient when waiting for a reply to an email, especially for a situation like this! ;)

I did think about mentioning iTunes and the Music Store as a possible avenue to release the tracks and for Franke to recieve payment for them. LiquidAudio would be another avenue alright. I'm not sure if CF has released any material to the iTunes Music Store.
    Well, as much as I despise Liquid Audio...any release is a good release :D

I may try one more call soon to see what happens. If it doesn't work, then the two of you'll have your emails to fall back on.

Hopefully, there isn't some little parasite sucking up and consuming all of the communications between here and Mr. Franke, though. Those buggers always take a while to get rid of.
  • well...

What about sending a copy of the letter via regular mail as well?
  • [QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Rick [/i]
    [B]If I'm unable to get a reply, I'll pass the request on to "a higher authority."
    [/B][/QUOTE]
    Thank God for Demi-Gods... or so.
  • why is it...

Why is it that after I post, it seems that all conversation seems to stop? I know i have the ability to kill conversations in real life, but here too?

Is it my breath?
    Solzorb... nah its not you... if you had bad breath someone here would have said something by now ;)

I think we're at the point where there's little more that we can do. I suppose a written letter could be added to the list of approaches. Hard to know really. The more time that passes the less the chance we'll hear anything. I have the feeling that if Franke could say anything he'd have done so by now. There's more than likely alot in the background that we don't know. So we'll just have to wait some more.

Anybody want to send a letter? Would probably be best mailed from the US, would take ages this side of the water.
  • RubberEagleRubberEagle What's a rubber eagle used for, anyway?
    Re: why is it...

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by solzorb [/i]
    [B]Is it my breath? [/B][/QUOTE]
    Yes...

j/k. I seem to have the same conversation stopping power...